New boyfriend is a danger to daughter

Dear Annie: My friend “Jodi” is 27 and very sheltered. Her parents still pay her rent and bills. I’m worried because Jodi has been acting out of character. She cheated on her husband with a 59-year-old man. He’s now her new boyfriend and “soul mate.” He’s creepy. He talks down to her and gropes her […]

March 21, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

SmartMeters are good for health

When PG&E installed a Smart Meter at our house I discovered that it was very beneficial to my health. Before that, I had no idea why our power usage was as high as it was and this caused me considerable stress. Now I can relax because the Smart Meter provides the tools for me to […]

March 20, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Prospective foster parents, beware

The foster care article quote on March 9 describes the experience accurately: “Nurturing time spent with a hurt child, whether for a day, month, year or a lifetime, can serve to change the course of a life and make a resounding positive difference in how they feel about themselves.” I was a foster parent for […]

I support Judge Dan Maguire

The Canons of Judicial Ethics bar judges from election endorsements, but we are allowed to speak regarding the judicial system, and in particular, the qualifications of judicial candidates. Judicial elections tend to be unexciting affairs. But I urge you to pay attention in this upcoming election, because you are far more likely to come before […]

Time to repeal a relic of the Cold War

The issue: American farmers and manufacturers stand to lose valuable markets to our competitors because of this anachronism The Soviet Union did not much believe in letting its citizens emigrate. After all, what sane person would want to leave the “workers’ paradise”? And it especially did not believe in letting its Jewish citizens emigrate for […]

March 21, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

We’re concerned about GMOs

By Diane Evans Our right to know is a cultural and intellectual tool provided to our citizens so that we can take and express personal responsibility and make choices that support our health and our personal beliefs. Our right to know is a twin to free speech. That is why we have free speech. With […]

March 21, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Stepmother getting wicked

Dear Annie: My wife of three years always seems to have something derogatory to say about “Janie,” my 20-year-old daughter from my first marriage. If Janie vacuums, my wife says she didn’t do it right. If she has a half-filled garbage can, my wife tells her it needs to be emptied, etc. I am so […]

March 20, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

China appears to be at a crossroads

The issue: Wen and Hu are stepping down this year, creating an opportunity for change at the highest levels Once every 10 years, the inner circle of China’s ruling Communist Party retreats behind closed doors and quickly re-emerges to inform the Chinese people, and the world, who the new leaders will be. THE HIERARCHY is […]

March 20, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Now foreclosure doesn’t sound so bad

Dear Annie: Four years ago, my adult son was divorced and then lost his job. He tried selling his house, but couldn’t find a buyer. At the same time, my sister’s daughter, also recently divorced, needed a larger house and a better school system for her three teenage children. My sister and I came up […]

March 19, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Marriage comes with baggage

Dear Annie: When I married my wife last summer, her son was living in the basement with no intention of getting a job. “Terence” is 23 and not exactly bright. We tried offering advice to help him move forward with his life, but he likes things his way. My wife excuses this, saying it’s his […]

March 18, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Educate all before kindergarten

During the discussions about South Davis schools at the recent Board of Education meeting, I realized that maybe Montgomery Elementary School should set up a two-year program for all. A Head Start-like program that would be open to all who would want to attend, and their social economic standing shouldn’t matter. We could start at […]

Look for other funding sources

Congratulations are due to the Davis Joint Unified School District, the campaign in support of Measure C, the Board of education, the superintendent, teachers, students and those who wrote letters to the editor. The Davis Enterprise was the real hero in publicizing the issue. The highest level of congratulations are due to the Davis community […]

March 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,