Focus on health: A creeping sleep disorder destroys teeth

“Biting the bullet” is a slang phrase that dates back to the Civil War,  and there’s no doubt that humans can bite strong enough to dent Civil War-era lead bullets. Healthy teeth can withstand heavy biting forces during normal function such as chewing food and swallowing. However, when these forces are exerted beyond function, such […]

July 08, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Stressing over the blended family

Dear Annie: My daughter and her husband moved in with us last year in order to save money and someday raise a family. We enjoy having them here. The issue is my son-in-law’s 5-year-old boy from his previous marriage. The custody arrangement states that he is entitled to have the child for a month during […]

My statements are accurate

Recent letter writer Susanna Mould seems to resort to personal attacks while being unable to make reasonable arguments and attempting to turn the truth on its head. Please read the article “Pink slips hang in balance as Measure C deadline looms,” published in The Davis Enterprise on March 2, right before the election. It reads: […]

July 08, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Hooray for park workers!

I work for the city of Davis Rainbow Summer Camps, at Shade Arbor at Rainbow City in Community Park. On Thursday, my fellow leaders and I arrived at the park to see all hands on deck. The Parks Department was all over Community Park cleaning  up from the Fourth of July celebration. There was trash […]

Fall brings emotional initiatives

All the emotional and intellectual energy in this spring’s primary election campaign focused on congressional and legislative races, where a rare combination of new rules and new district maps produced some entirely new kinds of results, with many upcoming runoff races featuring intra-party battles pitting Democrat against Democrat and Republican against Republican. It was difficult […]

Embracing economic development in Davis

At a glance The Davis ChamberPAC’s mission is to promote, support and advocate the general economic vitality of the Davis business community and the quality of life for Davis residents with an ongoing political presence. These efforts are funded by voluntary donations and managed by an independent board of directors appointed annually by the chairman […]

Tomatoes perfect, except for taste

The issue: UC Davis research may point farmers toward a sweeter fruit, like those grown in Iraq An Iraq war veteran was asked what he most remembered about his time there. It wasn’t the roadside bombs, the mortar attacks, the heat, the dust storms, the boredom. It was the tomatoes. “They were the best tomatoes […]

July 08, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

What do you think: How do you beat the heat?

Haley Terndrup student, Redwood: “Get in the pool.” Robert Salazar CPA, Davis: “Stay indoors.” Carri Butler semi-retired, Davis: “Iced tea and fans.” Marien Sorensen attorney, Davis: “Swim in the pool.” David Delaini police lieutenant, Davis: “Swimming pools.” Larry Stern telecommunications, Irvine: “I go back to Southern California, where I live. I can’t believe it’s this […]

July 08, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Tuition paid for many undergrads

Tom Elias (“Whose UC is it going to be?”) correctly noted rising tuition is the result of state disinvestment. State funding for UC is the same as 15 years ago, when there were 75,000 fewer students. He propagated a myth, however, when he wrote that UC caters to the wealthy. In fact, half of our […]

Watch out for animal abuse

I was driving east on Russell Boulevard on Tuesday morning and could hardly believe what I saw! A bicyclist was going as fast as he could, west on Russell, with a small white poodle/terrier mix dog on a leash barely able to keep up. If it was a place that I could have stopped, I […]

Syria’s Assad makes an enemy of Turkey

The issue: Better trained, armed and organized rebel forces are operating from sanctuaries along the border Syria’s president, Bashar Assad, likely has made a fatal mistake for the future of his regime by alienating Turkey. EARLY ON IN THE 16-month uprising, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on Assad to cease shelling crowded neighborhoods in […]

July 06, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Swimmer, coach are true Olympians

I was delighted to read your coverage of UC Davis alumnus Scott Weltz and his amazing win in the 200 men’s breast stroke, placing him among the rarefied ranks of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team. Missing from the story, however, is the extraordinary subplot involving the coach that helped Weltz achieve this goal. For 15 […]

July 06, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,