Team Davis thanks NewStar

Team Davis participants and volunteers want to warmly thank the Davis NewStar Chinese School for sponsoring an incredible cultural event this month during which performances by several Chinese singers, dancers and musicians provided entertainment to a full auditorium on the Davis High School campus. This event, which featured performers from the NewStar school as well […]

July 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Rotary brought garden to life

Just a short note to give credit to a remarkable bunch of folks and the organization they represent. On Saturday, June 2, Davis Rotary mobilized some serious muscle and brain power to help install an irrigation system for a new garden at Harper Junior High School. The garden is part of a larger project, led […]

June 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Company teaches children to tag

My son recently bought headphones made by Skullcandy. I was horrified to find a sticker in the package with the following inscription on the back: “Urban Assault — tag this sticker somewhere cool. Send us a picture and we might send you something.” Skullcandy is using its marketing clout to teach children to tag. As […]

June 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote for Pamela Trokanski

The Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre is known for its unique community outreach programs and a wide variety of opportunities for the “non-traditional” dancer. Free dance classes offered in recent months include: The Second Wind for people 65 and older, the Taking it to the Streets flash dance program, and the Dance for Parkinson’s program, of […]

June 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A vision for higher education

By Walter Leal Imagine a state that so values higher education that it provides tuition-free universities to its students. Imagine a state where the students graduate debt-free. Imagine a state that allocates 10 percent of its overall budget to finance these tuition-free universities. Imagine a state where 1 percent of the state tax is earmarked […]

June 28, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Egypt elects an Islamist president

The issue: Morsi faces many challenges; we can only hope he’s an exceptional leader In one of the great culminations of the Arab Spring, Egypt for the first time in its long history freely elected a leader, President Mohammed Morsi. Now the question becomes: Exactly what sort of leader did the voters elect? MORSI, 60, […]

June 28, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Don’t malign our animal shelter

I read with interest the op-ed piece titled “ This Sad Problem Can Be Fixed,” concerning the plight of pets in Yolo County, but the following letter to the editor referencing the op-ed left me dismayed. The letter writer claimed “volunteerism is far below what it should be.” Unfortunately, her claim is not backed up […]

June 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We need facts on city layoffs

I will be attending the City Council meeting this week to hear comments regarding the recent dismissal of employees, directed by City Manager Steve Pinkerton. I am especially concerned about the dismissal of the two remaining tree trimmers, particularly since the announcement was made immediately after the tax assessment for parks was passed. And, there […]

June 27, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged , ,

UC leads in pension reform

By Lawrence H. Pitts There is no doubt that unfunded pension obligations pose a serious fiscal problem for governments and public agencies across California and the nation. At the University of California, we have moved aggressively to address the challenge head on. After a long and public process of deliberation, the UC Board of Regents […]

June 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged , ,

Supreme Court rejects most of Arizona immigration law

The issue: Now, the problem is squarely in Congress’ lap With immigration, the Supreme Court said quite clearly: Congress, you have a problem. IN RULING ON Arizona’s tough new immigration law, which has the state unilaterally assuming responsibility to deter illegal immigration, the court said it for the most part was an unconstitutional intrusion into […]

June 27, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged , ,

Great guy, except for that one thing

Dear Annie: I have been with my boyfriend, “Harry,” for three years, and I love him very much. Last year, we had a child together. I think Harry will soon be popping the question. There is one big issue that will stop me from saying yes. Harry is an occasional drug user. He has never […]

Clarifications to op-ed piece

I am heartened by the response to the multi-authored op-ed column, “Our Answer To Noose, Swastika.” It appeared Sunday, June 24, on Page A12 of The Davis Enterprise. My goal was to offer the highest-quality community education on this pressing issue. I need to offer a few points of clarification. First, California Penal Code 11411 […]

June 26, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,