Teachers support Fernandes

There is one candidate for school board who has earned the endorsement of the Davis Teachers Association: Alan Fernandes. The experience and qualifications of each candidate were carefully examined, and Alan was found to be the most qualified to be an effective board member who will serve all our students well. Davis teachers voted to support Alan because he […]

October 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Please support Alan Fernandes

Please join me in supporting Alan Fernandes in the upcoming school board election. I have served many years with Alan on various boards and commissions, including the Business and Economic Development Commission for the city of Davis, the board of directors for the California Bicycle Museum and the board of directors for the U.S. Bicycling […]

Vote for Lovenburg, Measure E

I recommend voting for Susan Lovenburg for school board and in favor of Measure E. Susan is unfailingly well-informed, patient, courteous and cool-headed. I first met Susan when she was on the board of the Willett Elementary PTA, in charge of the PTA’s weekly newsletter. Editing and producing this newsletter was a surprisingly challenging job, […]

Why Susan’s earned our vote

Here are the reasons why we endorse, and will be voting for, Susan Lovenburg to return to the Davis school board for a second term: * Commitment. Susan has demonstrated over the past five years that she is focused on being a trustee, rather than looking ahead to a future political career. One example: She […]

Lovenburg, Peterson for school board

I will vote for Susan Lovenburg and Nancy Peterson for school board this November election, and I ask you to consider doing so as well. All the candidates bring a sincere desire to be good stewards of our local public schools, but Susan and Nancy show a consistent track record of being proactive in their […]

October 11, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Kick Nancy Peterson upstairs

Nancy Peterson will be a terrific addition to the Davis school board. Our local business has sponsored many events at Davis schools over the years, including track meets at Davis High as well as after-school running clubs at several elementary schools, and it seems like Nancy is always involved at some point in the process. […]

UCD forfeits $300K for students

Joshua Clover and his supporters who protested the presence of a US Bank on campus at UC Davis have succeeded in getting this branch office closed. What’s not clear from Cory Golden’s Oct. 7 article is if US Bank continues any sort of banking partnership with UC Davis. If not, it appears that the protesters […]

Thoughts from first debate

Two reflections on the Oct. 3 debate: “Winning” by lying is a false victory, and Obama maintained his respectful dignity as the president of the United States. Vashek Cervinka Davis

Davis, let’s take a stand

Last Saturday night, my daughter attended the competitive soccer game between Davis High and Jesuit. She returned that evening so upset by the events she witnessed as a fan on the Davis High side of the field. Homophobic slurs were being hollered out throughout the game and a large banner with homophobic language was displayed […]

Preservation policy, plans not respected

Mark Braly, a member of the Davis Planning Commission, opines in his Oct. 5 Forum page commentary that the city’s “cherished tradition of citizen participation is associated with obstructionist attitudes and documents. Thus, his title is “There must be 50,000 ways to say no.” His prime examples include the Parkview Place replacement of the Peña […]

Another word said in ignorance

How poignant and moving was Laura Shapiro’s “Standing In” column for Bob Dunning on Friday, Sept. 28. Her “Hurtful Words Resonate Years Later” showed how saying “that’s so gay” as a thoughtless teenager ended up unknowingly affecting her relationship with her own sister. So honest and well-said. It also calls to mind another thoughtless word […]

Mental health education time

Mental illness touches almost every family in Yolo County in one way or another. Maybe you have a relative or friend who suffers from severe depression. Maybe you have an anxiety disorder. About one in four Americans will experience a mental health disorder in any given year. That is more than 57.7 million people. They […]

October 10, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Where is Davis’ tolerance?

On March 4, 2008, the Davis mayor, various community officials, the chancellor of UC Davis and other UCD dignitaries signed “a set of community principles drafted and affirmed by Davis major community stakeholders.” These signatories “affirm the inherent value of each and every member of our shared community.” And they “… appreciate the diversity of […]

October 10, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,