Sweden touches a nerve in Belarus

The issue: It’s progress that a European conflict is being fought with words and teddy bears instead of guns and bombs If it were not for the misery inflicted on its 9.5 million people, Belarus would be worth preserving as a living museum of communism’s failures. IT BECAME independent following the breakup of the Soviet […]

August 16, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

He can’t let go

Dear Annie: I left a relationship of six years when my boyfriend became physically and emotionally abusive. We have two children together. With my children’s well-being as my first priority, I decided to stay in the same town so they could have full access to their dad. Here’s the problem: My ex keeps trying to […]

Sex, movie stars, disease

After three or more years of shacking up with “Twilight” co-star Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart was caught “cheating.” Robert and much of the nation were shocked. Robert demanded that Kristen vacate the mansion. A line from Beyonce’s “All The Single Ladies” seems appropriate, “If you liked it, you should have put a ring on it.” […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Presidential race: The fix is in

In boxing, when one boxer loses on purpose to the other boxer, the phrase is “the fix is in.” It appears that “the fix is in” in the presidential race. At least that’s a plausible explanation for Mitt Romney’s self-destructive behavior. The question is, if the “fix is in,” what does Romney get out of it? […]

August 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote no on Proposition 32

I urge all California voters to vote no on Proposition 32 on Nov. 6. This measure bans unions and corporations from using payroll-deducted funds for political purposes. Sponsors praise Prop. 32 as a good government measure designed to keep special interest money out of California politics that impacts corporations and unions equally. It does not. […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Coyote warnings are true

I must comment on a message to Bob Dunning from Keith, who stated that it is myth that coyotes kill for the killing. Keith further states that he essentially has valid information that coyotes only kill to feed themselves and their pups. Try telling that to the hundreds of sheep ranchers across the western United States. […]

August 16, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Police priorities are wrong

Every few months someone in my neighborhood in West Davis gets their bike stolen, including me. Reading the stories and blog posts on The Enterprise website reveals that this is a common occurrence. Because of budget declines, I used to cut the Davis PD some slack, thinking: Gosh they must be busy. One post on Saturday […]

August 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Trans fat bans are getting results

The issue: With regard to our diet, this time Nanny really does know best Some 10 years ago, when federal, state and local governments began ramping up a campaign against artery-clogging trans fats in fried and processed foods, some conservative commentators denounced it as a “nanny state” overreaching into people’s personal lives. One denounced it […]

August 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Cut back our fire staffing

The big question before the Davis City Council right now — even bigger than water — is what will be done with the city’s labor contracts. We will either get serious reforms or we will go bankrupt, like so many other municipalities in California. The agreements for each employee bargaining unit expired on June 30, […]

August 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Not traveling, or talking

Dear Annie: I am no longer speaking to my best friend of more than 20 years. I thought “Katie” and I were friends for life. She is even godmother to my daughter. Two years ago, we invited Katie and her husband to my 50th birthday party. My husband offered to let them stay with us […]

Rotary is ‘service above self’

By Bud Wolf How many of you know what Rotary International is and does? Rotary is the largest and oldest service organization in the world. It is composed of 1.2 million members in more than 170 countries. It is apolitical and nonreligious. There are more than 32,000 clubs, and the basis for all Rotary action […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

It’s getting hotter and hotter

The issue: The toastiest month on record brings unfortunate side-effects, including the worst drought in 25 years We’ve just lived — or, more accurately, sweltered — though the hottest month in U.S. history. The average July temperature in the contiguous 48 states was 77.6 degrees F, 3.3 degrees above the 20th century average for the […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,