Hard work, careful study

Please join us in voting for City Council candidate Lucas Frerichs. As a staff member in the California Assembly and through his considerable volunteer service in our community, he has demonstrated the intelligence, experience, leadership and history of accomplishment to make him an outstanding choice. Lucas offers innovative solutions to difficult problems built upon a […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Return Greenwald to office

In our long experience of life in Davis we have never encountered a City Council member more independent-minded and knowledgeable about the fine points and deeper implications of any communal issue than Sue Greenwald. She does not yield to special-interest influence. She knows this town’s separate character and virtues and defends them with intelligence and […]

Just Us in Davis: Figuring out our place in the ‘glocal’ world order

The well-worn admonition “think globally, act locally” takes on new meaning in recent conflicts over the Woodland-Davis Water Project. Media coverage of opposition to this project has tended to focus on controversies about the financial cost of drawing and treating drinking water from the Sacramento River instead of ground water wells. However, like most seemingly […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Our choices at the polls on Tuesday

The issue: Vote for Wolk, Greenwald and Lee for Davis City Council; Maguire for Yolo Superior Court judge; and yes on Measure D Davis faces many challenges in the coming years, and it needs leaders who are up to the task. The Davis Enterprise has selected a slate of City Council candidates in Tuesday’s election […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Focus on health: Hunger is not a game

The movie “The Hunger Games” was well done and entertaining. It was also thought-provoking. Consider if you will, that one in six people in Yolo County are food insecure, which means they are unsure of where their next meal will come from. As you walk down the street, do a head count and consider that, […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Brother cruising for trouble

Dear Annie: I am a freshman in high school, and my older brother, “Adam,” is a junior. Although I wouldn’t consider myself popular, I have a great group of friends. Recently, I noticed that Adam is flirting on Facebook with a girl in my grade. For the most part, it’s innocent and playful, but it […]

The single vote that will count

There are five candidates for our City Council. Three (Stephen Souza, Dan Wolk and Lucas Frerichs) are either tainted by a public record on previous councils or can be assumed to have future political ambitions that will require that they “deliver” to the special interests that are needed to fund their future campaigns. Brett Lee, the […]

He’s ideally suited to be a judge

I have known Dan Maguire for close to 10 years, and have found him to be an intellectually engaged person who is interested in exploring complex issues and getting to the bottom of things. He is unfailingly collegial, honest and forthright. All these aspects of his personality and intellect make him ideally suited to be […]

June 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Wolk has my vote for council

In his short tenure on the Davis City Council, Dan Wolk has shown that he has the intelligence and the competence to lead our city in a way that preserves the rich traditions of Davis life while preparing for changes vital to our city’s economic health. Dan is well versed in issues, such as water […]

Frerichs: a long record of service

I have chosen to support Lucas Frerichs for City Council for several reasons. For more than 10 years, Lucas has demonstrated a commitment to being actively engaged in community groups that translate values into reality. His long record of serving on commissions, task forces and steering committees is exceptional because it began shortly after he […]

She can do the math right

I will be voting for Sue Greenwald for City Council because she consistently is the one who can do the math right on city of Davis fiscal decisions and has the courage to vote her convictions, even under intense pressure. In these difficult economic times, we need her insight and courage more than ever. Please […]

A real passion for the job

I have known Sue Greenwald for 16 years. I also have helped with all of her campaigns. I have always been so impressed with her as a thoughtful, passionate, interesting, intelligent and fun person. Her approach to problem-solving, where she researches deeply before making decisions, is critical to our City Council meeting the challenges we face as […]

Diligence and fiscal responsibility

The Enterprise got it right with their endorsement of Sue Greenwald: “Greenwald does her homework, seeks expert advice, then votes her conscience. She has devoted countless hours to understanding the city’s budget problems and working effectively toward solutions. Her research and advocacy on the water issue helped save this community tens of millions of dollars, […]