Vote ‘yes’ on Prop 37

I read Gabe Lewin’s “And now, a defense of Monsanto” (The Enterprise, April 4) and responses to it by Doug Graves (April 4) and Keith Redenbaugh (July 24) with interest. Davis is, after all, a very appropriate place to discuss such issues, being the birthplace of genetically engineered (GE) foods and current home of the […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Global warming not sign of the end

July was the hottest month on record for the lower 48 states. It broke the old record of July 1936 by 0.2 degrees. The weather around 1936 was also very hot and dry (years of the dust bowl). These temperature measurements have only been recorded since 1895 (117 years ago). So what happened to global […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Shooting targets all of humanity

The shooting at Oak Creek Gurdwara did not target the Sikh community alone but all of humanity. We request your help in bridging the gap created between different religions by misunderstandings and ignorance as you have the power to reach the minds of hundreds of thousands of individuals. As local Sikh Americans, we feel obliged […]

August 10, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Connecting with the kids online

Dear Annie: Recently, my husband and I chaperoned a seven-day office-sponsored trip for high school sophomores and juniors. My husband, who is in his 50s, is very outgoing. While on the trip, he developed quite a following among the teens, especially the girls, many of whom developed a little crush on him. I brought up […]

Are we there yet? Hitchiker’s guide to giving Mom a heart attack

* Editor’s note: Tanya Perez is on vacation. This column was published originally in March 2009. I’m going to tell a story that will frighten the pants off any parent. Seriously, at the end of this tale, you will be pants-less. When I was 18 and a freshman in college, I had a terrible car. […]

August 09, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Syria threatens to use chemical weapons

The issue: Timing shows desperation of the Assad regime Even though it has been an open secret for 40 years, Syria has always been studiously ambiguous about whether it has chemical weapons. But in late July, the Syrian government said it would deploy chemical weapons against any foreign — presumably Western — intervention in its civil […]

August 09, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Trying to put a fig leaf over ‘paycheck protection’

At least the conservative interests behind the latest move to limit or eliminate the influence of labor unions in California politics have heard what their critics said about their earlier efforts. Twice before, voters have rejected efforts by corporate lobbies like the state Chamber of Commerce to force unions to get signatures yearly from their […]

August 09, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Don’t downplay hate incidents

We thank Jonathan London for his article (July 22, 2012) that keeps the recent series of hate incidents (noose, N-word, and two swastikas) in the consciousness of the Davis community. Mr. London says that the crimes “draw from the same historical repertiore…of hate” and send a message of intimidation and violence. Mr. London questions why […]

August 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

The kindness of strangers

I’d like to give a big thank you to the kind person who found my purse in the Mace Boulevard Nugget Market bathroom on Saturday, Aug. 4, and turned it in to management. Many, many thanks for your honesty, kindness and thoughtfulness. Rosie Cushing Davis

Armed opinions matter more

“This election will decide whether Americans remain free” so says Wayne LaPierre CEO of the NRA. So what wouldn’t you do to defend your freedom this election? Maybe decide to shoot someone? The deadly defense of Second Amendment rights is so out of proportion that it divides even the NRA’s own members. There are two […]

State needs new role models

I moved from Salinas to Davis four years ago in part to be in a university town and closer to family, but also because I felt that I had done everything I could to counter the gang activity in Salinas. I had worked as an early intervention resource teacher, making home visits and planning programs […]

August 09, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Addict son needs a wakeup call

Dear Annie: My wife and I have a 23-year-old son who is a heroin addict. “Rob” has been to rehab twice and has relapsed again. We have been attending Nar-Anon meetings for the past eight weeks and find them helpful. Rob seemingly has not hit rock bottom yet. By that, I mean he still has […]

Title IX – Clearing Hurdles for Young Women

By Joanne Law On a cold spring day in 1976, 19 women on a Yale rowing team met in the athletic director’s office and ripped off their shirts. On their bare backs were written two words: “Title IX.” After every practice, the women waited in wet sweatsuits on a freezing bus while men took hot […]

August 08, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

GOP says government shutdown a bad idea

The issue: Congress could save itself much grief by getting its work done on time The House Republican leadership hopes to avoid a government shutdown on Oct. 1, the start of the fiscal year. That is the date by which Congress is supposed to have passed the 12 spending bills that fund the government’s operations for […]

August 08, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,