Are you ready to cherish a child?

Learn more What: Foster care orientation sessions When and where: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 5, Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St. in Davis; 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 19, Turner Branch Library, 1212 Merkley Ave. in West Sacramento Info: Cherie Schroeder, (530) 574-1964; www.yolofostercare.com By Aimee Deem May is National Foster Care Month. To foster […]

May 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Challenger doesn’t measure up

By John Poulos The voters of Yolo County are presented with a contested election for the office of Yolo Superior Court judge. Contested judicial elections are rare enough to warrant a discussion of the unique requirements for this office. How should you, the voter, assess the qualifications of the two candidates: Dan Maguire, who is […]

In memory of fallen heroes

By Pegi A. Laufhutte The sun streamed down in a haze through the trees; everything seemed surreal. My closest friend, Joyce, and I stood at Arlington National Cemetery in full view of her husband Jim’s flag-draped casket accompanied by the traditional military honor guard. The memorial ceremony ended with a 21-gun salute and a solemn […]

I’m voting for Lucas Frerichs

I have had the great pleasure of knowing Lucas Frerichs for the past 16 years, as a co-worker, fellow director, volunteer and friend. Perhaps my favorite story about Lucas involves the Davis Food Co-op’s Annual Holiday Meal, at which he has been a regular volunteer over the years. One year, Lucas raced past me just […]

May 27, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Frerichs, Wolk are bright lights

I am strongly supporting two candidates for City Council and encourage others to do the same by voting for Lucas Frerichs and Dan Wolk. Simply put, these two individuals have distinguished themselves as bright lights of the future of our civil discourse and represent a refreshing change to our politics. Specifically, I would like to […]

Greenwald fights for city’s benefit

For perhaps the first time ever, The Enterprise and I are aligned on candidates for City Council. I am voting for Brett Lee, Dan Wolk and Sue Greenwald. Over coffee several months ago, Brett impressed me with his vision and commitment. Dan seems like a good guy. Sue, I think, is a special case. My personal experience reflects all […]

May 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

I support Frerichs and Wolk

I support Lucas Frerichs and Dan Wolk because of their dedication to the community, and because I am confident they would not permit a small group of narrow-minded residents to destroy our community institutions (such as the Davis Food Co-op,and water and public transportation systems) with the targeted agenda of bringing the vengeful boycott, divestment […]

May 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Davis needs Sue Greenwald

Davis needs Sue Greenwald on the City Council. She researches each issue and advocates for what is best for the city. Sue is a Davis treasure, and we are lucky that she is willing to continue working for us. Jean Risley Davis

Frerichs will deliver change

As a Davis parent, business owner and active member of our community, I wholeheartedly endorse Lucas Frerichs for City Council. In the eight years I have known Lucas, I have been consistently impressed by his integrity, honesty and earnest desire to make our town a better place. Whether serving on the board of directors at […]

May 25, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Sue’s efforts saved us money

I support Sue Greenwald for re-election to the Davis City Council. Sue is honest, approachable and bold. During her 12 years in office, Sue has been an advocate for Davis’ schools, public safety, art and business communities, environment and quality of life. Sue values fiscal responsibility and understands complex issues. For example, Sue realized that […]

Many reasons to support Lee

I’m for Brett Lee. I don’t think one needs a pedigree to run for City Council. It doesn’t matter to me whether you’re a newcomer here or your ancestors came to Davis in a covered wagon. It just so happens that I’ve been here long enough to have grown up with some of Brett Lee’s […]

Frerichs, Wolk are contributors

Like Bob Dunning, we are voting for two “boys.” Ours are Lucas Frerichs and Dan Wolk. We have known both of them for some time prior to their becoming City Council candidates. While they are on the younger side of the candidate pool, they have professional, real-world experience under their belts that will serve both […]

Our choices on June 5 ballot

California redistricting has changed the electoral landscape and it is sad to be losing Congressman Mike Thompson as our representative. But, we are fortunate to have the opportunity to elect Congressman John Garamendi with his strong environmental and agricultural record. It is always a pleasure to put a check mark next to Sen. Lois Wolk’s […]