Can chancellor lead UC Davis?

Many evaluations, recommendations and opinions have been offered in recent months for either the support or censure of UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi. There has been a focus on and admission of failures in organization, process, communications and decisions. However, in Cory Golden’s May 10 coverage of the chancellor’s appearance before the UC Davis Academic […]

June 06, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Congrats to DHS softballers

Congratulations to the Davis High School softball team for a stunning season! In my observation, this team is in the top four or five most skilled softball teams at DHS in the past 25 years! The coaching was tremendous and the players were remarkable. A special good luck and best wishes to the seniors … […]

That passage was vintage Dunning

The last few paragraphs of Bob Dunning’s column published on May 24 were vintage Dunning. Poking fun at hallowed halls of power is his forte, and in two brief sentences, Dunning had a two-fer. Using the human rights activist Chen Guangcheng as his foil, Dunning took a swipe at UC Davis’ attempt to balance the […]

Teens, read for prizes at library

Teens ages 13-18 or entering junior high school through high school by fall 2012 are invited to participate Yolo County Library’s annual Teen Summer Library Program. Teens can sign up at the Davis Branch Library, take our survey and be eligible to win prizes, including many great gift certificates to local businesses and, of course, […]

June 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Please take time to vote

Well, here I am again. Each time I work the voting polls I tell myself, this is the last time I will do this because I’m getting too old to get up before 5 a.m. and spend from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m. just sitting here. I started working the polls so I could spend time […]

June 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A kinder, gentler, more efficient TSA

The issue: But remember, the screeners must succeed every time, the terrorists only once “I’d like to say we can guarantee 100 percent security and 100 percent customer satisfaction and it’s just not realistic,” John Pistole told The Wall Street Journal. Pistole is the administrator of the Transportation Security Administration, and the customer satisfaction with […]

June 05, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Trouble with the sister-in-law

Dear Annie: My husband’s sister-in-law is not only annoying. She is frustrating. We were friends once and lived together in my in-laws’ house. She has a son, and I have a daughter who is younger. The first time we fought, she began shouting at me, saying that my daughter is the favorite grandchild. She moved […]

Summer vacation pushes me to notice changes

In summer, many of us return to where we “always” go. Family tradition propels us there, or affordability or love of a particular place. Some of us simply like to go somewhere familiar. I return to favorite places for all of those reasons, but I find that when I get there I think not about […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Don’t let Big Tobacco purchase this election

Sure, there’s the easy reason to vote “Yes” on Proposition 29: Smoking kills and Big Tobacco is the Devil. The harmful effects of smoking on both the smoker and those around him/her are indisputable. If you think they’re not, just stop. Save us both the aggravation, because you’re wrong. It’s this simple: Smoking kills. Period. […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Servants in their own home

Dear Annie: My husband and I have five adult children between us, all making a good living. Some of our children expect us to pay their airfare to come visit us, in addition to picking them up at the airport, being their taxi service so they can go out drinking at night and letting them […]

What do you think: Which Davis City Council candidates will get your vote?

Mary Yaussey retired, Davis: “Dan Wolk. He just seems to be involved in the community.” Don Schwartz writing teacher, Davis: “Sue Greenwald. She voted against Covell Village and water rates, and she represents the Davis spirit very well.” Ken Gelatt retired math teacher, Davis: “Dan Wolk. My wife said so.” Nancy Swim Bistro 33 manager, […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

New council blood needed

Davis is a special little city that deserves the very best in leadership. We have had some amazing leadership over the years, which is why the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame and the No. 1 Farmers Market are both here. Today, our town needs some new blood. It needs leadership that will ask the hard […]

June 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Dan Wolk has integrity

For me, integrity has to be the No. 1 quality I look for in an elected official. Integrity means to me that you do what you said you would do, but it also means having the courage to put the brakes on something that needs more research or that doesn’t seem right. I urge you […]

Collaborative style is needed

Lucas was involved in volunteer activities when we met in 2000 and has continued to be involved during the past 12 years we have known each other. He has inspired me to volunteer in various activities in Davis, and our community has brought so much richness to our lives. I have been attending almost all […]