Good for economy, community

I have been lucky enough to get out into the Berryessa Snow Mountain region. We were hiking and looking for native plants and birds, and, of course, the views are spectacular! It’s absolutely wonderful to have an area like this close by where you can go to get away from noise and bustle. I’m excited […]

July 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t forget residents’ needs

What kind of Davis resident would complain about her streets being spruced up with statues here and there? Who would want to risk being labeled sacrilegious about art in public places? Well, it would be someone like me, who fears that, in the excitement of promoting downtown Davis as a regional arts destination, my resident […]

July 18, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Our trees demand vigilance

Davis City Manager Steve Pinkerton recently announced the elimination of two city tree crew positions. I strongly recommend reversal of this unwise decision. Trees take a lot of inspection and maintenance, and the city needs a permanent crew to carry out this important task. As a homeowner myself, I have had the personal experience of […]

Shocked, saddened by killings

As a 20-year resident who combs our open land looking for nature, I am shocked and deeply saddened by the killing of these coyotes. Since there was no emergency, the local agencies should have worked together and maybe someone would have learned that killing does not work. Killing the mother coyote and her puppies actually […]

July 19, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Clarity on Audubon affiliation

Your lead article on Thursday, July 12, quoted Wildhorse golf course superintendent Wes Leith as saying “Wildhorse has been involved with Audubon International for many, many years …” Just so there is no confusion, Audubon International has no affiliation whatsoever with the National Audubon Society or its local chapter, Yolo Audubon Society. From Wikipedia: “Audubon […]

Let’s work on coyote coexistence

We were very saddened to read the July 12 Enterprise article about the coyote family of five killed by the federal agency, Wildlife Services, at the Wildhorse Golf Club. (Yes, the same rogue agency that Tom Knudson exposed in the Bee recently.) This was at the request of the Wildhorse Golf Club. I have been […]

Partnerships won’t work elsewhere

The many thousands who regularly use this state’s large and varied park system were among the most distraught of Californians when legislators and Gov. Jerry Brown last year imposed cuts and closures on the system, with 70 parks scheduled for shuttering early this summer. Some of those closures will come right on schedule, but not […]

July 17, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

He won’t put her first

Dear Annie: My fiancé, “Clyde,” and I have been together for three years. We have a great relationship. We have lived together for two years, and my 5-year-old considers him “Dad.” Clyde is divorced and has two daughters, 16 and 18. His marriage was destructive and abusive, yet he still goes to his ex-wife’s house […]

Can’t handle her jealousy

Dear Annie: I’m a middle-aged man who has been divorced for four years. I am currently a caregiver for my mother, so I don’t get out much. I’ve taken to many social media sites as a way to meet people with similar interests and have developed several relationships, purely platonic, with women I’ve met online. […]

Athens story touches touches Davis resident

One of my recent columns provoked a reply from a Davis resident whose related story amazed me. She doesn’t want me to use her name, but she’s willing to let me tell her tale. The column she responded to was about my visit to the Acropolis in Athens where I got caught up in the […]

July 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A simple, easy solution to ending our dependence on fossil fuels

Forget hybrids, forget electric, I know how we can end our dependence on foreign oil and cut air pollution in half as well. And even if you aren’t interested in scrambling for the remaining fossil fuel supplies or breathing air that isn’t opaque, you’re probably interested in paying less at the pump. Now, I’ve got […]

July 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Hostage to the bridesmaid

Dear Annie: My fiancé and I cut corners for four years so we could have a nice wedding. We didn’t ask either set of parents for money, and they didn’t offer. We’re footing the entire bill, including the formal wear for the attendants. The problem is my 34-year-old socially awkward sister, “Allie.” Allie was hospitalized […]

What the health-care law means

By Lee Bowman The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 emerged from a Supreme Court review constitutionally intact and with most of the law’s tools to expand health coverage to more than 30 million Americans still available. A majority of the justices concluded that while Congress can’t make it a crime for people […]

Where there’s a will …

Dear Annie: My parents divorced acrimoniously when my siblings and I were young. My brother, “Tim,” was a difficult child and was arrested when he was 11. The local law officials offered the option of handing custody to my father as an option to avoid a sentence to juvenile hall. Once my father had custody, […]