Curb driving with parking permits

The April 3 Enterprise story on fewer kids bicycling to school seemed to focus on elementary schools to the greatest degree, junior high schools to a lesser degree, and not at all on Davis High School. My two children graduated from DHS in 1999 and 2001, respectively. Until they got to DHS they almost always […]

April 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Dodger deal has Prop. 13 loophole

Amid the euphoria that erupted in much of California when a group led by former basketball great Earvin “Magic” Johnson and financier Mark Walter spent more than $2 billion to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team and its stadium last month, one question led to some consternation. Why should Frank McCourt, the notoriously wasteful […]

April 04, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Highway funding OK’d, then Congress hits the road

The issue: 90-day reprieve seems hardly enough for tough negotiations to come Many congressional analysts blame the increasingly partisan and rancorous tone of Congress and its inefficiency on the fact that so many lawmakers and their families no longer live in Washington. IN YEARS PAST, election to Congress meant the new members and their families […]

April 05, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

This carbon neutrality thing is tough

I happen to be one of those folks who just loves a contest. Especially a contest we have a chance of winning. I think we were all inspired when the Powells won that nationwide Christmas lighting contest and presented the Davis schools with a check for $100,000. So I was thrilled when I saw the […]

Family unwilling to share responsibility

Dear Annie: I’m writing this from a friend’s computer so my wife won’t find out. “Lizzie” and I are in our late 20s. She has an older sister and two adopted siblings, both of whom are developmentally disabled. One has Down syndrome, but he is capable of living independently. The other, however, is the size […]

Choir sings its thanks to donors

On behalf of the Davis High School Jazz Choir and Davis Jazz Choir Inc., we would like to thank the Davis business community for its generous support of the Jazz Choir’s 24th annual Cabaret Dinner Show, Concert and Silent Auction. Funds raised this year go to support the Jazz Choir’s joint educational trip with the […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Restore our religious liberty

I am gravely concerned because the Obama administration has done something very disturbing and unprecedented. For the first time in our nation’s history, the government finalized a mandate that violates our religious liberty. The Department of Health and Human Services announced on Jan. 10 the administration’s command that every single employer in the country must […]

April 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Hold out hope for ocean life

Can you imagine a world with fewer tasty saltwater fish? The vision will be reality as oceans become more acidic, dissolving the calcium carbonate frameworks of reefs exactly like stomach acid dissolves Tums. Commercial fishers rely on reefs as places to find massive quantities of game, but are quickly losing their prime hunting spots as […]

April 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

And now, a defense of Monsanto

By Gabe Lewin I am sure that Ci Yin Oliveira, who wrote the recent opinion piece titled “Why I Protested at Monsanto,” means well, but Ci should be made aware that the piece is riddled with inaccuracies and illogical and false statements. While a real person is responsible for anything he may have done in […]

April 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Closing tax loopholes isn’t as easy as it sounds

The issue: As a Washington saying goes, if this stuff were easy, somebody else already would have done it The House Republican budget put forth by House Budget Committee chairman Paul Ryan promised to raise more than $1 trillion to reduce tax rates for the wealthiest families from 35 percent to 25 percent without adding […]

April 04, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Annies 4.3: Confession is good for this soul

Dear Annie: I want to share a personal story that I decided to be very public about: I’m a recovering alcoholic. The irony of my situation is that I made a successful career out of writing about using alcohol to cope with the stresses of parenthood in books and in my Web column. Then one […]

Annies 4.2: In-law’s borrowing getting bothersome

Dear Annie: My husband and I love to entertain our friends, and we also are often invited to various events. I have a wonderful aunt who owns an upscale shop in another state. Twice a year, she allows me to choose anything I want at fabulous discounts. She also sends lovely things for my birthday […]