All students deserve better

I voted “no” on Measure C, but I was not comfortable campaigning against it. Since the impacts of failure would have been painful to many Davis school kids, I believe each vote was a personal decision that should not be influenced by standard political gamesmanship. Now that the measure has passed, I feel safe to […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Limbaugh, Monsanto, the Occupy movement, and the line connecting them

Well, poo. All the really great eviscerations of Rush Limbaugh have been written. Maureen Dowd did it best (New York Times, March 3) and Jon Stewart did it funniest (The Daily Show, March 5), so commenting now would just be gratuitous piling on. Nonetheless, I feel gypped, so I must pile a little. I was […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Education access is about to shrink

Just in case anyone doubts that repeated, seemingly perpetual state budget crises don’t have real-life effects on ordinary citizens, check out what’s already happened and what’s about to happen to education at almost every level in California. Once the world’s best public school system, with access to classes guaranteed from kindergarten at age 5 and […]

G-8 summit moves from Chicago to Camp David

The issue: Occupy movement takes credit for the change in venue According to the White House, when the thought came up to move the G-8 summit from Chicago — scheduled to be held there for at least the past year — President Barack Obama was “intrigued by the novelty of the idea.” Well, that’s one […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

What do you think: Who should be the GOP presidential nominee?

Cherie Rita legal secretary, Davis/Winters: “I’m Republican and I’m not leaning one way or another. I don’t like any of them.” Mallory Khamchanh student, Sacramento: “Mitt Romney. He has strong beliefs, and my boyfriend talks a lot about him.” Chris Foote medical assistant, Davis: “I’m not sure. I don’t like any of them. I’m an […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

‘All it takes is $5 or more …’

* Editor’s note: Last month, the Davis Waldorf School’s seventh-grade class toured the food closet of the Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee as a follow-up to a canned goods drive the class had sponsored. This is a compilation of the students’ thoughts on the experience, written in their own words. Imagine if you didn’t have enough money […]

A win-win: Helping the poor and helping ourselves

By Robert Bulman The Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee is a local nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting low-income residents of Davis and Yolo County with basic necessities such as food, clothes, and financial aid for rent and utilities. Two years ago, my wife and I decided we wanted to do more for STEAC than just write […]

Wedding plans causing friction

Dear Annie: My niece, “Tricia,” and I have always been close. Her mother (my sister) had a very traumatic life, and I often came to the rescue to be sure my niece was fed and protected. Tricia is now grown with two adult children of her own and a fabulous home in Arizona. She has […]

March 09, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

City has tried to resolve DACHA suits

More info Additional information is available on the city of Davis website: www.cityofdavis.org Suggested further reading related to DACHA: DACHA history, assets and liabilities in the organizational dissolution plan application and staff report dated Feb. 7, 2012 DACHA organizational dissolution plan, dated May 16, 2011 Yolo County Grand Jury report on the city of Davis […]

March 08, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Husband’s not fully coming clean

Dear Annie: “Bill” and I have been married for 43 years. He retired three years ago. We didn’t socialize with any of his co-workers, so I didn’t know them well. Last Christmas, Bill got a card with no return address. It only had Bill’s name on it. I handed it to him so he had […]

March 07, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A treasured labor of love

Many thank yous to the performers who have created and performed at the Citizens Who Care Annual Winter Concert. This year’s 20th annual concert, celebrating the lyrics of Ira Gershwin, was exceptional! The community owes a debt of gratitude to the performers who support the services provided to the frail elderly and their caregivers. This is “a labor […]

March 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,