Finally had enough

Dear Annie: I have been married nearly 30 years to someone who is a self-centered, selfish, immature mama’s boy. Mama is so controlling, and yet so needy, that every time we’ve moved, she’s moved nearby. She has switched to the same doctor and even goes to the same hair salon her “baby” uses. She gets […]

February 06, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Family problem comes to a head

Dear Annie: My husband’s sister is impossible. “Anabel” is bitter, nasty, venal, snide and vicious. She can’t wait two minutes before making a cruel remark. Soon after my husband and I moved back to his hometown, he had a stroke at the age of 52. He’s recovering, thankfully. The first person I notified was Anabel. […]

February 05, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Can I paddle my way to meditation?

A psychologist friend proposed a different definition of meditation that has my gears whirring like a GPS trying to “recalculate.” I’ve always had a respect bordering on awe for people who can meditate, but here’s what my friend said. “If you’re fully involved in something, active, paying attention only to that, you’re meditating. You don’t […]

They might as well be wearing deerskins and carrying clubs

I’m a traitor, I am. A regular Benedict Arnold. Why? Because it’s Super Bowl Sunday, and I just don’t care. How much do I not care? I’d have to be in a coma to care less. This Sunday, while all patriotic Americans gorge on buffalo wings and gulp can after can of corn swill being […]

Brother’s kids in danger

Dear Annie: My brother lives 100 miles away from his job. He says he has a good job, but our family strongly suspects he is dealing drugs again. He has two children with an ex-girlfriend who is bipolar and not taking her medication. The children had a weeklong break from school, and my brother left […]

February 04, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Expansion model was the problem

I would like to respond to a recent letter by Ann Evans, the wife of DACHA developer David Thompson and a former mayor like myself. Evans makes a number of claims that are incorrect or misleading, but I want to correct the record on the fundamental premise. Evans claims that: “There’s a pattern of abuse […]

February 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Avoiding the drama of dental trauma

Sporting activities offer a variety of benefits, but many of them have a high risk for dental injuries that can be devastating to any athlete. These injuries can range from a minor tooth chip to complete avulsion (knocking out) of a tooth. Unlike soft tissue trauma, dental trauma frequently requires lifelong follow-up treatment. Dental injuries […]

Super Bowl resonates with blacks

The Super Bowl is undoubtedly the one event each year that unites the largest group of Americans in a common endeavor — watching the spectacle of the two best teams in the NFL battle each other for supremacy, at least for that year. For one breathtaking afternoon, Republicans, Democrats and independents; Protestants, Catholics, Jews and Muslims; […]

Measure C is a new, more expensive, tax

By Jose Granda and Thomas Randall Jr. Merriam-Webster dictionary defines “renewal”: “The act or process of renewing: repetition,” “The act of extending the period of time when something is effective.” Measure C is neither of these. It is a new tax. Renewal of Measures Q and W would mean that you would pay $1,280 ($320 […]

Vote yes on C, for our children and our community

By Barbara Archer and Lori Duisenberg Communities make decisions based on their values. In Davis, we have made education a priority for many years. Since 1984, a parcel tax has been in place in Davis to fund public education programs. Davis schools are a point of pride in our community. Davis voters have chosen over […]

What do you think: What are your plans for Super Bowl Sunday?

Allen Lowry architect, Davis: “I’m going to Haiti for Jacmel Carnival.” Tom Anderson Unitrans driver, Davis: “I don’t have any plans. I don’t like either the Giants or the Patriots.” Gay Powers artist, Davis: “I’m going to a friend’s house and bringing a fabulous fruit torte. The wife and I are going to have a […]

February 05, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Distance brings perspective

Dear Annie: I am one of nine children. There is a large age gap between us because my younger siblings are from a second marriage. They are 3, 5 and 7. Since moving out a few years ago, I have begun to see my mother in a different light. As a child, whenever I needed […]

February 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Davis needs visionaries

As an affordable housing owner concerned about the foundational values and moral principles of Davis, I am disheartened by the direction the city is taking in regards to the Davis Area Cooperative Housing Association. Over the past several years, I have witnessed a failure by city staff to uphold Davis’ own affordable housing policies, costing […]

February 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,