In Iraq, blame the U.S., but drive American

The issue: U.S. automakers are easing back into the Mideast country, as its economy perks up The departure of the last American troops in December left an awkward vacuum in Iraqi politics: The government and the opposition no longer have the United States to blame for Iraq’s many problems. AND IRAQ DOES have problems: The […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Just Us in Davis: We are all Trayvon Martin

We are all Trayvon Martin. This chant resonates with the global call of the Occupy movement: We are the 99 percent. But, how can I be Trayvon Martin? I am not an unarmed black 17-year-old child shot dead in Florida last month by a neighborhood watch vigilante. I can walk through my neighborhood and not […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Eating fresh from seed to table

The Food Bank of Yolo County (FBYC) is committed to helping people make healthy choices about what to eat. This is done through a variety of programs and activities, including an on-site demonstration garden. Not only does FBYC want to make fresh fruits and vegetables available to the community, the Food Bank wants to give […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

What do you think: What’s your favorite spring pastime?

Tamara Holt server, Woodland: “Easter. Being together with family.” Nina Vuoso postgraduate, Davis: “Walking around in the garden.” Bernie Goldsmith attorney, Davis: “Driving in the countryside, because everything is so green.” Brian Higgs student, Davis: “Baseball. Everything about it.” Norbe Monteao busser, Davis: “Running in the park to be in shape.” Imelda Vargas student, Davis: […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

We oppose the disruption

We are members of Israel Peace Alternatives, a local group focused on resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We have heard reports of a recent event at UC Davis, “Israeli Soldiers Speak Out,” where an audience member stood up and shouted personal insults at the speakers, and stated his intent to shut down the program. We strongly oppose actions that disrupt […]

March 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Get out of Occupy’s way

Docile Davis, sleepy town: While things happened in our past, nothing happens now… In the early ’70s, Davis was a town of action. Our mayor-to-be, Bob Black, sat down on the tracks and stopped a weapons-carrying train from going forward to Roseville! Now, it’s different: a comparable political emergency exists and, yet, town officials and […]

Time to solve these crimes

I have a great deal of respect for our law enforcement officers. They have an extremely difficult job, and often perform it without much thanks or recognition. Having said that, I think it is time to start asking some difficult questions regarding the wave of brazen burglaries that have been casting a pall over my […]

Why I protested at Monsanto

By Ci Yin Oliveira Although I don’t admit this much, technically I am a child. As the U.S. Supreme Court has declared corporations like Monsanto as “people” with the same rights as us, it must mean that Monsanto was once a child, too. His parents clearly had high hopes, as his name implies — Mon […]

March 23, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Enjoy Europe, but leave the measles there

The issue: Unvaccinated Americans risk bringing disease back home Only those over a certain age remember the fear caused by infantile paralysis, as polio was then known, or youngsters being whisked off to isolation wards and their families being quarantined in their homes. VACCINATIONS worked, perhaps too well. The public here and in the United […]

March 23, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

A costly ‘war of necessity’

The headline of a Los Angeles Times article dated Aug. 18, 2009, is: “Obama tells veterans Afghanistan is a ‘war of necessity.’ ” From the article: ” ‘This is not a war of choice. This is a war of necessity,’ Obama told the annual Veterans of Foreign Wars Conference.” It would appear that Claude Garrod […]

March 22, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Whole truth about Whole Foods

Not that I wish a potentially promising downtown business ill, but I was aghast when I watched a news report from an ABC affiliate in Arlington, Va., about Whole Foods selling “organic” foods from China found at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBiI9KcJ9UY&sns=fb. This story shows frozen “organic” vegetables sold under the Whole Foods label with organic certification […]

March 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,