Lay the blame on chancellor

A thorough reading of the Kroll Report on the Nov. 18 pepper-spray incident brings one glaring conclusion: At every step along the way, Chancellor Linda Katehi ignored Student Affairs staffers, who are trained to deal with these sorts of things, and continuously pursued a range of police options. In the name of safety, all by […]

April 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

If it’s any consolation, he’s losing, too

Dear Annie: I have been married to “Ellen” for seven years, and we recently moved back to her hometown. Apparently, she left behind an old boyfriend. They were teenagers “in love.” Ellen was repeatedly unfaithful, and the boyfriend tried to break things off. But Ellen always manipulated him into saying he would love her forever. […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

The deadly myths about prostate cancer

By Christopher P. Evans, MD, FACS Misconceptions about prostate cancer abound. It’s not just a disease that affects older men, and it is not always slow-growing. Despite some recent recommendations against getting prostate-specific antigen screenings, the facts show otherwise: 1) Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer diagnosis in American men. The National Cancer […]

Don’t go ‘Sideways’ or over the hill — just stay home

My favorite son and I have a new Easter weekend tradition — wine tasting in the Central Coast region. The first year we visited Paso Robles, last year it was Avila Beach, and this year Edna Valley. Jimmy is still learning about wine, but me and wine — we’re old pals. I’m most familiar with […]

Should the Greeks take their marbles home?

I just returned from a part of the world where wars abound, and I find I want to join one, a cultural war. This all began when my husband got the travel bug and suggested a cruise in the Aegean and eastern Mediterranean seas. Before you could say “global hot spot” we signed up for […]

The bizarre process of choosing a vice president

The issue: The trick is to stay at arm’s length and be ‘mentioned’ We are about to embark on one of the more bizarre rituals of American politics — the selection of the presidential candidate’s running mate. President Barack Obama’s choice is settled. It will be the incumbent, Joe Biden, despite the maneuverings of die-hard […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

UC Davis leaders must bear some blame

The issue: Problems stretch far beyond one cop’s actions Viral videos of UC Davis police Lt. John Pike pepper-spraying protesters sitting on a sidewalk angered people around the world. NOW, A TASK FORCE led by former California Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso has exposed equally troubling dysfunction behind the scenes — both in Mrak Hall […]

April 13, 2012 | Posted in Crime, Fire + Courts | Tagged , ,

Cemetery’s good practices

My friend Quirino Paris articulated some reasonable cautions that apply to all public agencies, including the Davis Cemetery District. A near-decade as a voting member of the DCD board gives me familiarity with the issues he raises. I see public money being thoughtfully expended. Our fees for plots, for niches, for interments and for endowments […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

UC Davis has a woman problem

The Reynoso report discloses that a woman spoke to the chancellor’s Leadership Team for 40 minutes about the judgmental error the team was making in planning the use of police force on the Quad. She also had contradicted the police report that non-students predominated the Quad population. The response was “dead silence.” A woman police […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

What do you think: about the pepper-spray task force report?

Tara Zagofsky graduate student, Davis: “I think they did a fantastic job for what their mandate was. I also think more actions need to be taken regarding Nov. 18 and in light of current charges against the (11 students and one professor) regarding the privatization of the university.” Farshid Haque graduate student, Davis: “I do […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

A necessary rewind on a woman’s right to choose

By Lyra Halprin Ten births, three abortions — that’s what I know about my grandmother Anne. During her childbearing years, 1911 through the 1920s in Austria, Canada and the United States, it was almost impossible for women to access birth control. She raised her children in Cleveland, where the first birth control clinic — a […]

Public pensions will get us if we don’t watch out

By Jay Ambrose City and state officials have been as accomplished as Washington squanderers in lavishing money they don’t have and never considering that the days of sunshine and plentiful revenues might end. Thus, they set us up for a mighty fall. My prime example for this thesis is highly publicized Stockton, which is getting ready […]

Funds raised to help immigrants

On March 24, the Yolo Interfaith Immigration Network held its first fundraising dinner. It was a sold-out event, and we were able to raise funds for our programs as well as increase awareness of YIIN’s mission and work. YIIN is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) group whose mission is to serve and advocate for immigrants in […]

April 18, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Recognize Turkish National Day

On April 23, more than half a million Turkish-Americans celebrate the Turkish National Sovereignty and Children’s Day. Ninety-two years ago, on this date, the Turkish Grand National Assembly was established, to fulfill the aspirations of Turkish people for freedom, justice and peace. Within three years, a secular modern Turkish republic was proclaimed under the leadership of Ataturk. Marked for […]

April 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,