Time to abolish the death penalty

Learn more Who: Ellen Eggers speaking about the death penalty When: Noon Sunday, Jan. 15 Where: Quaker Meeting House, 345 L St., Davis By Kary Joseph Shender It’s hard for politicians, regardless of affiliation, to be viewed as soft on crime. And it’s easy for some people to construe any change in the prison system […]

December 28, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Wondering about the truth

Dear Annie: My husband, “Frank,” retired three years ago, after more than 40 years with the same company. He frequently mentioned a co-worker, “Dolly,” saying how nice she was and what good friends they were. He wondered how she was doing. Once, he even said he missed her, but the expression on my face must […]

December 27, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Pets deserve happy holiday, too

Mercer Clinic for the Pets of the Homeless is a volunteer group of UC Davis veterinary students who, together with volunteer local and UCD faculty veterinarians, offer a free clinic monthly to care for the pets of the homeless in Sacramento. The Mercer Clinic began in 1993 and is adjacent to the Sacramento Loaves and […]

December 27, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Getting closer in search for an Earth ‘twin’

The issue: Maybe this truly is ‘the beginning of an era’ One astronomer called it “the beginning of an era.” SCIENTISTS AT the Harvard-Smithsonian Center have identified the smallest, most Earth-size planets yet found outside our solar system. The discoveries were made by the Kepler space telescope, on a par with the Hubble as one […]

December 27, 2011 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

A turning point in our struggle

By Colin Murphy On Nov. 18, the politics of protest returned to UC Davis. Students, fed up with ever-increasing tuition, excessive use of force by police and leadership that seemed increasingly disconnected from the campuses they govern, linked arms and refused to comply with police demands to vacate the UC Davis Quad. The police response, […]

Leading the horse to water …

Dear Annie: We have a 54-year-old friend we are desperately trying to help. “Timothy” is morbidly obese at nearly 300 pounds. He suffers from related health issues: sleep apnea, high blood pressure, joint pain and constant fatigue. He is probably diabetic, but refuses to seek medical care. He also has a terrible, self-defeating attitude. Timothy […]

December 26, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

How much for a turtle dove?

Dear Readers: A Merry Christmas to one and all. Here’s an interesting take on the following well-known song, figures courtesy of the PNC Christmas Price Index: ”The Twelve Days of Christmas” On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree (cost: $184.99, an increase of 14.2 […]

December 25, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

How does a crazy idea become a family tradition?

Charity appeals are relentless during the holidays, especially with the tax-year ending a week from now. Every nonprofit that has my email address is writing to me, usually more than once. Some send snail mail, too, often with appeals that are poignant and beautifully written. For my husband, communication to and from charities is more […]

Next year’s tree will be cat-friendly

* Editor’s note: This column originally ran in December 2000, Angelo and Milo’s second Christmas, and runs in memory of Milo, who passed over this year and is especially missed at Christmas. When that last ornament was delicately placed on the Christmas tree, I took a moment to admire the finished product. My little angels came […]

It’s scary how little we know

The issue: Kim Jong Un, North Korea’s new leader, is a mystery to the world In 1953, newspaper critic A.J. Liebling wrote a celebrated essay on the coverage of a long-running Soviet dictator’s death. True to the maxim that “big news demands big stories,” American newspapers ran yards of copy, almost all of it speculative, because […]

December 28, 2011 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Really enjoying his work

Dear Annie: I’ve begun to develop strong feelings for one of my managers at work. She is beautiful both inside and out and fun to be around. When I am near her, I behave properly, but inside, my heart is going pitter-pat. I want to do the honorable thing and keep our relationship strictly professional, […]

December 24, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Healthy resolutions for the new year

As the holidays come to an end and we approach 2012, many of us are considering New Year’s resolutions. Some of us will commit to exercising more and losing weight while others will focus on building relationships and stopping bad habits. No matter what our specific commitments are, we are all likely to pursue health-related […]

Sometimes only the cops can help

Dear Annie: My friend “Candi” regularly drinks and drives. She often drinks at a friend’s house and then drives herself home. Other times, she drinks at home and then goes out. There are even times when she takes her teenage daughter in the car after she’s been drinking. I’ve confronted Candi only to be told […]

December 23, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,