Clean-car opposition is misguided

If California highways and parking lots of 2025 look considerably different from today’s, it probably will be because they’ll contain almost 1.5 million more hybrid cars and trucks, hydrogen-driven vehicles and plug-in hybrids that run mostly on electricity except on long trips. That’s the vision behind the latest set of proposed rules rolled out by […]

January 31, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Absence makes the heart grow worried

Dear Annie: Six years ago, I married “Richard.” He is a wonderful, caring, good-looking man. We returned from our honeymoon to find out he had lost his job. The next three years were a rollercoaster, and he finally found employment 18 months ago. Richard has to travel out of state a great deal. He currently […]

January 28, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Caring for dead parents is easy — it’s the living ones that are difficult

Let me say right up front that I love our county libraries. I even have a mini Yolo County Library card on my key chain because I regularly visit our Winters branch. However, with all due respect and affection, the county library, with a little help from the Friends of the Davis Public Library, really […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Shine a light on child abuse

I was watching the national news and there was an update on the fighting in Syria. Many innocent people are being killed and that is truly a tragedy. One of the newscasters made a point of stressing the fact that almost 400 children have been killed in the past 10 months. During that same time […]

February 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

I urged change but didn’t expect this much

This might be the last time I can write about the man I call “Larry.” He may become too well-known for me to be sure that I can preserve his anonymity. I first wrote about Larry in 2005. He was the home health aide on duty when my dad died in New York City, and […]

January 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Ideas to restore salmon runs

This letter is about how dams can affect the lives of salmon. Many dams have been built in the Central Valley, but they keep salmon out of spawning areas, so they can’t reproduce. At New Bullards Bar Dam on the north Yuba River, they are working on a solution. They are planning to truck salmon […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Accurate arguments against C

It is important to clarify the court’s decision to edit our ballot arguments. There are only a number of words allowed on a ballot argument. The section against the all-mailed ballot process had 65 out of the 300 words allowed and was difficult to explain under the limitation. We offered to change it to make […]

January 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Apply to be a student firefighter

I would like to encourage all eligible UC Davis students to apply for the Student Resident Firefighting Program. As a student firefighter at the UCD Fire Department for almost three years, I can say that it was one of the best experiences in my life. Beyond the firefighting and emergency medical skills I learned, I […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A thousand thanks from STEAC

The Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee recently completed the 2011 Holiday Program and wants to thank the literally hundreds of volunteers, churches, businesses, schools, professional organizations and the families and individuals who make this wonderful program happen each and every year. The wonderful generosity of our community is constantly amazing. This year 1,413 people were helped. […]

February 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Blues Harvest was a big success

Friends of Adult Day Health Care are tremendously grateful for the community support that helped make the 10th annual Blues Harvest held as a benefit for the Yolo Adult Day Health Center our most successful event to date. In particular, we would like to thank our honorary chairmen: Cap and Helen Thomson; our sponsors: Woodland […]

February 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A proud history of UC Davis ‘occupations’

By Michael Williams The recent Occupy UC Davis protesters join a long line of “occupy” activists at UCD events dating back 40 years. In 1970, protesters set up “Peace City” on the Quad, steps away from the now-infamous pepper spray spot. Peace City was a large covered dome that served as headquarters for the campus […]

Just us: Where there is hope

* Editor’s note: This essay is adapted from a talk that will be given Sunday at the ninth annual Celebration of Abraham: “Where there is hope…” The event runs from 3 to 5 p.m. at the St. James Catholic Church Memorial Center, 1275 B St. One of many held around the country, the Celebration of […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,