Public pensions will get us if we don’t watch out

By Jay Ambrose City and state officials have been as accomplished as Washington squanderers in lavishing money they don’t have and never considering that the days of sunshine and plentiful revenues might end. Thus, they set us up for a mighty fall. My prime example for this thesis is highly publicized Stockton, which is getting ready […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Funds raised to help immigrants

On March 24, the Yolo Interfaith Immigration Network held its first fundraising dinner. It was a sold-out event, and we were able to raise funds for our programs as well as increase awareness of YIIN’s mission and work. YIIN is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) group whose mission is to serve and advocate for immigrants in […]

April 18, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Recognize Turkish National Day

On April 23, more than half a million Turkish-Americans celebrate the Turkish National Sovereignty and Children’s Day. Ninety-two years ago, on this date, the Turkish Grand National Assembly was established, to fulfill the aspirations of Turkish people for freedom, justice and peace. Within three years, a secular modern Turkish republic was proclaimed under the leadership of Ataturk. Marked for […]

April 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

What a remarkable season

In his commentary on Bud Henle published Tuesday, Bob DaPrato did not have the fact correct on the 1965 football game against Woodland. The score was 7-0 Davis. Woodland did have a 50-plus-yard run on its first play, but never scored. The 1965 team gave up only 32 points all year to go undefeated. There […]

April 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Meters are a community problem

Santa Cruz and Marin counties both forbade installation of PG&E’s SmartMeters in unincorporated areas. What wise steps for a shared health problem. See the informative Santa Cruz report at Towns need help even more. Neighbors often live close together. Most single households cannot choose to avoid SmartMeter electromagnetic emissions, as the neighbors’ impinge. My […]

April 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Dems resist planned budget cuts

Just 17 months ago, when voters passed Proposition 25 and restored simple majority votes of the Legislature in California budgeting, the presumption was that if Democrat Jerry Brown also became governor, a new era of sweetness and light would arise in Sacramento. For budgeting would now be a one-party thing, no Republicans involved. Well, as […]

April 13, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Are we there yet? Getting back on that horse — or bike or ski slope

Two years after a bone-smashing ski accident, I finally felt like my old self on the slopes last week. Having learned to ski when I was 10 years old, I think I benefitted from the lack of fear that comes from learning an activity before you fully understand all that can go wrong. I had […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Partying hurts our neighborhood

During last month’s City Council discussion of the ordinance against underage drinking, The Enterprise reported general agreement that drinking among college students wasn’t the main problem. In the Davis Manor Neighborhood, and others like ours, it is. From spring until late fall, we experience the college “party scene.” It is not just Friday and Saturday […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We dined out for a great cause

The Davis Schools Orchestral Music Association would like to thank Woodstock’s Pizza and Cultivé frozen yogurt for their recent fundraising support. By dining at Woodstock’s and Cultivé, many friends of DSOMA had a fabulous dinner and dessert in downtown Davis while helping fund musical instrument repair, sheet music purchases and field trips. We also would […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Heaping more indignities on air travelers

The issue: Maybe we should wear all we need, then undress in the aisles The federal government and the airline industry seem to be in a race to see which one can annoy, humiliate, inconvenience and fleece the passengers more. THE GOVERNMENT seemed to be clearly in the lead when the Transportation Security Administration introduced […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Two sides to every issue, always

By Bill Hollingshead My political science professor, Vernon J. Puryear, said in effect, “In political science, international relations and international diplomacy, there are always two sides to every issue, so don’t get upset before you examine both sides.” I took that as a formula for clear and critical thinking and for peace of mind. George […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,