2,000-plus hungry families got help this holiday season

By José Martinez This holiday season, we are proud to say that the Thanksgiving and Christmas Basket giveaways can now call the Food Bank of Yolo County “home.” After weeks of prepping, planning and organizing, both distributions successfully aided more than 2,050 families in our Yolo County community. For the Thanksgiving baskets, we limited those […]

December 25, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

The issue: New York Sun editor’s words resonate 115 holiday seasons later * Editor’s note: The following editorial, among the most famous ever written, appeared in The New York Sun in 1897 and remains appropriate for this holiday season 115 years later. IS THERE A SANTA CLAUS? We take pleasure in answering at once and […]

December 25, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Taking back power to tackle climate change

By Nick Buxton “You’ve been negotiating all my life,” a Maine student shouted out to a room packed full of climate experts and experienced diplomats at the United Nations climate conference earlier this month. “In that time, you’ve failed to meet pledges, you’ve missed targets, and you’ve broken promises.” At the U.N. climate negotiations I […]

Just Us in Davis: Dragon Ball and Blue Devils

By Jann Murray-Garcia Special to the Enterprise “But Mom, Mr. PoPo is like the smartest one on that show.” The character is from one of his favorite cartoons, the Japanese-style anime show, “Dragon Ball Z Kai.” My 11-year-old son was trying to convince me that I should not be offended. But I am offended. The […]

Research, yes! But teaching?

Thank you, Jeff Sherman, for highlighting UC Davis’ research focus and peripheral interest in undergraduate education. It is great that UC Davis’ best and brightest researchers glean hundreds of millions of dollars of research funds. Unfortunately, those successful research grantees notoriously absent themselves from undergraduate education and deprive undergraduate students of their promised exposure to […]

Help improve dog park safety

In late September, several concerned dog owners met with a city of Davis official about improving safety at Toad Hollow Dog Park. Our mission became raising $2,400 for a separate small dog entrance. This important addition will allow greater safety for small and large dogs alike as well as for dog owners with a variety […]

December 28, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Kudos for supporting the arts

This letter was sent to members of the Davis Board of Education: Last Friday I participated in the Davis High holiday concert as emcee at the invitation of the Davis Schools Orchestral Music Association. I am a longtime Davis resident with three children who have attended Davis High School. In my job as executive director […]

… And the dogs are still barking

The Davis Fire Department was in our West Davis neighborhood for an hour Monday night, continuously piercing the air with emergency sirens. I went outside to see the ruckus: It was a Christmas parade! They had two rigs decorated and Fire Department personnel were walking alongside wearing their uniforms and Santa hats passing out candy […]

A merry Christmas treat

About 5:30 Monday night, my kids and I heard the sounds of sirens in our neighborhood. We ran out to see what was happening and we had such a fantastic surprise. Two fire trucks, Santa, several firefighters and kids were coming through our neighborhood playing music and handing out candy canes and fire safety tips […]

December 25, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Hey, students: It’s all about tuition

By Walter S. Leal It’s a shame that five weeks after the disturbing pepper-spray incident on the UC Davis campus — an incident that caused so much consternation to students, staff, faculty, administration and the public at large — the discourse is losing focus. As I understand it, the students set up encampments on the […]

Moving closer, but still far apart

Dear Annie: A year ago, my girlfriend and I started dating, but this isn’t what you would call a normal relationship. She and I live about 500 hundred miles apart, and only met in July on a trip to Florida. We connected four years ago in an online chat room of a popular animated web […]

December 22, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

What do you think: What’s your favorite holiday tradition?

Alex McKee-Ota student, Los Angeles: “My family gets a little on the tipsy side and we sing karaoke all night.” Megumi Yamanoha designer, Davis: “Watching movies.” Megan Smith actor and musician, Davis: “Decorating the Christmas tree.” Ann Blattner homemaker, Davis: “Reading our Christmas books on Christmas Eve.” Bob Blattner school consultant, Davis: “I like biking through […]

December 25, 2011 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,