Plenty of thanks to go around

By Barbara Archer and Lori Duisenberg The Measure C campaign has a lot of folks to thank for the amazing win in the March 6 election. First and foremost, we would like to thank the voters of Davis for continuing the proud Davis tradition of supporting education. Because of you, our students will continue to […]

March 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Self-inflicted wounds in Afghanistan

The issue: U.S. suffers a ‘trust deficit’ following a series of remarkable missteps Since President Barack Obama upped the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan — about 91,000 are there now — the United States and its NATO allies clearly have had the upper hand militarily. But there have been setbacks that threaten our whole […]

March 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Ever want to take back that job reference?

Dear Annie: I am getting married in May. My fiancé, “Stan,” didn’t like his last job, so my brother hired him. Stan has been working there for a year. I recently found out that Stan has been pulling nasty pranks on my brother. He never mentioned it to me. My brother works alone during the […]

March 14, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Cut out the name-calling

It is so unfortunate and discourteous that radio and newspaper people feel they must resort to verbal abuse of others, whether it is Russ Limbaugh’s extremely rude and unacceptable comments about a college student or Debra DeAngelo in her Sunday column wishing Dave Rosenberg had said “Rush, you fat, bloated, lump of human excrement.” Limbaugh […]

March 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Support Aggie women hoopsters

Upon seeing who won the Big West women’s basketball tournament finals, it is clear the UC Davis Aggies let one slip away. In spite of this, the Aggie women did a great job this year. I look forward to next year and anyone who has not had an opportunity to see these ladies play should […]

Don’t chide us for being selfish

According to Jeff Boone (Letters, Sunday), Davis taxpayers are breathing a “sigh of relief” and shaking our heads “at those ‘stupid’ other communities” who did not pass supplemental parcel taxes to support local schools. Why? Because in Boone’s convoluted logic, we are helping our children “at the expense of others.” Boone assumes that because Davis […]

March 16, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Class warfare it is not

Some of the Republican candidates running for president have described the proposal by President Obama to raise the tax rates for the upper income bracket as “class warfare.” This inflammatory term comes from discredited Marxist ideology, which predicted actual bloodshed between “capitalists” and “workers” as an eventual consequence of the capitalist economics system that during […]

March 16, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Inform yourself with Monsanto facts

I don’t typically write letters to The Enterprise but I am compelled to comment on Debra DeAngelo’s opinion piece published Sunday where she linked Rush Limbaugh and Monsanto with the Occupy movement. In the first place, she should check her facts. Monsanto does not produce or market aspartame or bovine growth hormone. It does contribute […]

Our ballot status should be private

Can someone please explain why it’s public knowledge whether or not a member of the community has submitted their ballot for Measure C? On Monday, March 5, we received a call from a campaign worker indicating that a member of our household had not yet voted. The caller specifically identified the family member by name, […]

Unchanged jobless rate is actually good news

The issue: However, we still have a long way to go to return to full employment The latest government employment figures show that the recovery in the jobs market is real, but still not strong enough or fast enough to get us back to full employment in a reasonable time frame. PRIVATE INDUSTRY created 233,000 […]

March 14, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

CalPERS change would dramatically damage Davis

The cost to Davis could be $1.5 million per year if CalPERS follows the recommendation of its chief actuary on Wednesday. Tuesday morning, the Pension and Health Benefits Committee heard a presentation from Alan Milligan, the chief actuary for PERS, in which he recommended that the retirement system reduce its assumed rate of return on […]

March 14, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Headed the wrong direction

Perhaps then, it is true. We are making more enemies in Afghanistan than we can kill! George Farmer Davis

March 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Reasons to dislike Republicans

I don’t know how other people feel about it, but I find it very disturbing that three of the four remaining Republican candidates say, in effect, “Yes, I’m perfectly willing to send 5,000 or 10,000 American boys to their graves if that’s what it takes to get my AIPAC campaign contribution. Just remember me when […]

March 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,