The cold shoulder

Dear Annie: My husband and I have noticed that his sister’s husband has been rather cool to us for quite some time. We can barely get a civil hello from him at family events, yet he is warm and friendly to others. To the best of our knowledge, we have not done or said anything […]

December 14, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Please donate to Toys for Tots

The Toys for Tots program sponsored by the Marine Corps League of Yolo County has placed its barrels for toy donations throughout Davis and Woodland again this season. But donations are down this year and the barrels are sitting idle. Last year, the Marines gave away 7,000 toys to underprivileged children living in Yolo County […]

December 14, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

With gratitude for your help

To the city of Davis: As mother of a huge family, I want to thank the citizens and students who helped my John and Tammy, stranded in Davis due to hardship. All your donations gave them shelter and food while they were gathering themselves to get home. May God bless you all a hundredfold for opening […]

December 20, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thanks for an inclusive evening

CANVAS is a volunteer program of NAMI-Yolo, the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. We help neighbors who are recovering from psychiatric challenges enjoy the same community activities and opportunities we all share. We want to say a special thank you to everyone who worked on the Downtown Davis Holiday Open House. […]

December 15, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Craft show was a big success

We wish to thank the generous people of Davis for making our Village Homes craft show and sale a wonderful event, and a successful venture. We are also grateful to The Davis Enterprise for the wonderful publicity. Our local paper is a key player in getting the word out about community events like this that […]

December 15, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

High praise for Chávez School

Over Thanksgiving week we traveled to lovely Morelia, Mexico, to enroll our two oldest kids, ages 7 and 8, into a highly regarded Spanish Immersion school — The Baden-Powell Institute. The school arranged the airport pickup/drop-off, the host families and an apartment for the remaining family. The school coordinator, Regina Chacón, customized a program specifically […]

Is money the only motivation?

I keep hearing that administrators have to be offered extravagant salaries ($400,000 a year plus $100,000 for moving expenses for a chancellor) because they won’t move otherwise. This supposes that the only possible motivator is money, which is very sad. Marlene Bloomberg Davis

‘Favorite things’ is a favorite

Thank you, Heidy Kellison, for your wonderful column, “Heidy’s Favorite Things,” and for being the cheerleader for downtown Davis. Your article offers an insightful and refreshing look at Davis. Heather Caswell Davis

Reverse a crime against history

The day after Halloween, the City Council on a narrow vote, agreed to the city staff’s desire to tear down the 1937 building housing Central Park’s longtime restroom. The team of docents at the Hattie Weber Museum of Davis was horrified by this result and we are still seeking instead to preserve a historical resource […]

Somebody talked!

Dear Annie: I have been unemployed since April. My former employers signed a nondisclosure contract about the terms of my resignation. But apparently, if the company to which I am applying asks the right questions, they are told everything. My question is: If my former employers signed a nondisclosure agreement, how can they disclose the […]

December 13, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Speak out on indefinite detention

A few days ago, the Senate passed S 1867, its version of the National Defense Authorization Act. That bill contains provisions (Sections 1031 and 1032, inserted by Sens. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and John McCain, R-Ariz., allowing (albeit not requiring) the military to indefinitely detain (with charges) U.S. citizens it suspects of being terrorists! The link […]

December 13, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Just look at infant death rates

Thomas Randall Jr. likes the Republican candidates because, he says, they give answers (Davis Enterprise, Nov. 16). Unlike, he says, President Obama. But what answers do the Republican candidates give? Cut Medicare, cut Social Security, cut education funding, cut, cut, cut. Cut education — so that China and India lead in science and technology, not […]

December 13, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t make us into CSU Davis

I am writing in response to Sterling Chaykin’s guest opinion, published Thursday. Chaykin argues that the major problem confronting UC Davis is diminished quality of instruction. He views the budget crisis as a fortunate opportunity to press for changes in instruction. Among his solutions for improving instruction are to cut faculty salary. Chaykin acknowledges that […]

Will the chancellor resign?

On Friday, Nov. 18, the UC Davis chancellor had a second chance, and she blew it. In fact, students were demonstrating — among other things — in solidarity with Berkeley students who were brutalized by police a few days before. Hence, the chancellor knew or should have known that resorting to a police response to […]