Have we no standards?

The UC Davis police, standing idly by, have made it extremely likely that the hostility and general ugliness displayed Monday toward an Israeli Druze woman and an Israeli soldier will become the norm at future such events on campus. The police, at a minimum, need to announce that they will record the event in its […]

March 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Campus event disrupted

At a presentation Monday in Wellman 106 at UC Davis, I witnessed behavior that has no place at UC Davis or anywhere else. A presentation by two Israelis, “Defending the Israeli Image” — sponsored by Chai-Life Club at UC Davis, Chabad of Davis and Stand with Us — was repeatedly interrupted by hecklers and individuals […]

Why stop with ‘peaceful’ Iran?

This is in response to the recent anti-Israel cartoons that appeared on your editorial page on Feb. 10 (Fitzgibbons) and Feb. 14 (Oliphant). I must say how truly disappointed I was that you failed to fully expose the complicity of Israel and the “Jewish Lobby” in all aspects of American life … not just in […]

25 Teachers’ Salaries backs C

The group 25 Teachers’ Salaries urges Davis to support Measure C, the continuation of two parcel taxes to raise money to preserve existing classroom programs, key school-based personnel and other programs for five years. According to the California Teachers Association, state funding for K-12 education has been cut by more than $21.5 billion in the […]

Continue Davis schools’ legacy

Having grown up in Davis and attended its public schools, my husband and I both benefited greatly from the programs Measure C pays for. For that reason alone, we support Measure C. In addition, with two children of our own who will be attending Davis schools, we understand the importance of making sure that they and their […]

Ideals versus compassion

Dear Annie: My spouse and I are in a 40-year same-sex relationship. Seven years ago, we had a legal marriage, but my family refused to recognize it. My brother’s wife went so far as to write letters to the local newspaper urging repeal of the law. My youngest sister said, “We were ordered not to […]

March 01, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Are we there yet? Persistence pays off

Editor’s note: Tanya Perez is taking the day off. This column ran in May, 2009. When I was a youngster, I had an annoying level of persistence. I know what it’s like to live with this because my younger son suffers from it. It bugs the beejezus out of me, but who can I blame […]

February 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Opportunities are unparalleled

As residents of the city of Davis, we have all chosen to live here for a variety of reasons. For many, it is due to the quality of Davis’ educational opportunities, which are truly exceptional, from preschool all the way to Ph.D. Additionally, throughout human history, we have known that education forms the basis of […]

Remember C, for creativity

Teaching readin’, writin’ and ‘rithmatic is the foundation of our formative years. But a foundation is nothing without the rest of the experience. We need ethical studies, cultural studies, iterature, music, drama, art and athletics to complete the educational pyramid. Teaching to the test is coaching. Teaching students to use these basics to be creative is […]

Support boosts school arts

On behalf of the Davis School Arts Foundation, I voice the organization’s support for voting yes on Measure C. DSAF is doing its part to minimize the impact of budget cuts by providing funding to teachers and schools to support arts and music programs. In a unique partnership with the Davis Joint Unified School District, […]

Please vote yes on Measure C

Details What: Measure C mail-only election When: Ballots are due by 8 p.m. Tuesday Where: Drop them in a secure box at the Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St., or at the Yolo County Elections Office in Room B05 at the County Administration Building, 625 Court St., Woodland By Delaine Eastin Did you see […]

March 01, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Every candidate has to have a tax-reform plan

The issue: The only thing standing in their way? The Constitution Sadly for presidential candidates beating the drums for various tax plans, Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution is unmistakably clear on one point: “All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur […]

March 06, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,