What do you think: Who should be the GOP presidential nominee?

Cherie Rita legal secretary, Davis/Winters: “I’m Republican and I’m not leaning one way or another. I don’t like any of them.” Mallory Khamchanh student, Sacramento: “Mitt Romney. He has strong beliefs, and my boyfriend talks a lot about him.” Chris Foote medical assistant, Davis: “I’m not sure. I don’t like any of them. I’m an […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

‘All it takes is $5 or more …’

* Editor’s note: Last month, the Davis Waldorf School’s seventh-grade class toured the food closet of the Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee as a follow-up to a canned goods drive the class had sponsored. This is a compilation of the students’ thoughts on the experience, written in their own words. Imagine if you didn’t have enough money […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A win-win: Helping the poor and helping ourselves

By Robert Bulman The Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee is a local nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting low-income residents of Davis and Yolo County with basic necessities such as food, clothes, and financial aid for rent and utilities. Two years ago, my wife and I decided we wanted to do more for STEAC than just write […]

March 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Wedding plans causing friction

Dear Annie: My niece, “Tricia,” and I have always been close. Her mother (my sister) had a very traumatic life, and I often came to the rescue to be sure my niece was fed and protected. Tricia is now grown with two adult children of her own and a fabulous home in Arizona. She has […]

March 09, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

City has tried to resolve DACHA suits

More info Additional information is available on the city of Davis website: www.cityofdavis.org Suggested further reading related to DACHA: DACHA history, assets and liabilities in the organizational dissolution plan application and staff report dated Feb. 7, 2012 DACHA organizational dissolution plan, dated May 16, 2011 Yolo County Grand Jury report on the city of Davis […]

March 08, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Husband’s not fully coming clean

Dear Annie: “Bill” and I have been married for 43 years. He retired three years ago. We didn’t socialize with any of his co-workers, so I didn’t know them well. Last Christmas, Bill got a card with no return address. It only had Bill’s name on it. I handed it to him so he had […]

March 07, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A treasured labor of love

Many thank yous to the performers who have created and performed at the Citizens Who Care Annual Winter Concert. This year’s 20th annual concert, celebrating the lyrics of Ira Gershwin, was exceptional! The community owes a debt of gratitude to the performers who support the services provided to the frail elderly and their caregivers. This is “a labor […]

March 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Caregiver feels overwhelmed

Dear Annie: My father is 87 years old and has congestive heart failure. I am the youngest of four siblings, two of whom live out of town. For some reason, everything falls on me. We pay for a caregiver to come in for four hours a day, but she leaves at noon. My brother sometimes […]

March 06, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Serbia on path to join European Union

The issue: Full EU membership may be years in coming, but this agreement is a significant and overdue step forward The Bosnian war lasted more than three years, technically ending in 1995, leaving a messy aftermath. The European Union took a major step last week in clearing up the loose ends by granting Serbia candidate […]

March 09, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Landfill not a suitable place for human remains

The issue: Careless disposal of victims of war, 9/11 is shameful One of the many attributes that speak so well of the American military is the care it takes in retrieving its fallen and providing for final interment. The great military cemeteries here and in Europe are testament to that care and pride. SOMEHOW, HOWEVER, […]

March 08, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,