It takes more than a tandem

The Parkinson’s disease tandem program featured in The Davis Enterprise of Dec. 28 started from an idea I threw out to Jan Robinson, financial manager of the Davis Athletic Club, which she could have cheerfully ignored. Instead, she agreed not only to provide a venue for the program at DAC, but also offer lead cyclists […]

January 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Biblical scholarship is evolving

In a letter published Dec. 30, Otto Raabe expressed the opinion that translations of the New Testament ought to be based on the Textus Receptus, the text of the Greek New Testament used by Luther, Calvin and Tyndale, rather than on “old Roman Catholic versions” such as the Codex Vaticanus and the Codex Sinaiticus, which […]

January 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Same old song, second verse

I applaud Michael Goodman’s commentary regarding the lack of support given parents in tracking their kids’ assignments. I remember when my oldest daughter, now 32, was in junior high and I was involved in development of the team parents. One of the main goals of the team parents was to develop a better instrument of […]

January 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t flush your money away

All good things got to come to an end; the thrills have to fade before they come round again; the bills will be paid and the pleasure will mend; all good things got to come to an end. —Jackson Browne, 1993, “All Good Things” Normally, when the City Council or the Board of Supervisors or […]

January 04, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Same rest rules for pilots, drivers, engineers

The issue: All present a deadly risk if they nod off on the job The federal government has been trying to keep tired transportation operators from killing themselves and others for more than a century, starting with “hours of service” limits along railroads in 1907 and most recently updating the rules governing airline pilots’ hours […]

January 04, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

A convenient target

Dear Annie: I am a 17-year-old girl with divorced parents. My dad lives with “Heather.” She is young, has three kids and is very irritating. Heather seems to think she has to make fun of people. Her favorite targets are my mom and my father’s family members. She’s always touching my dad and constantly picks […]

January 03, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Renewing our neighborly spirit

My family moved to Davis 43 years ago; I was 9 years old. I have spent my life in this town. Though there have been many opportunities to leave, I have not. I married my high school sweetheart, and we raised our family here. I shop locally, for both large and small purchases. I was […]

January 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Two books that touch your heart

When I read “It’s an Ill Wind, Indeed,” I was taken with how much I could relate to the history of Davis that author Joan Callaway brought to mind. I first fell in love with Davis when I moved here from New York City in 1966. It was a culture shock that really worked for […]

January 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Let the faculty speak for themselves

By Walter S. Leal and James R. Carey The op-ed piece, “Reviewing the Case for Katehi’s Resignation,” published Sunday, Dec. 18, in The Davis Enterprise, is misleading due to a number of serious errors/omissions. The author stresses that “the majority of the faculty in two of the largest and most important departments in the sciences […]

With distraction, dangers afoot

The issue: Pedestrians wearing headphones or thumbing keypads are stepping into traffic at an alarming rate An ambulance’s siren cut through the din of rush-hour traffic and motorists began clearing a lane on busy K Street in Washington, D.C. The emergency vehicle eased into an intersection — only to be stalled by a young guy […]

January 03, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Double the trouble with these two

Dear Annie: My husband has twin 28-year-old daughters. They are hardworking and smart, and any parent would be proud of their achievements. I began dating my husband five years after his divorce, and we married three years later. However, when I was supposed to meet his daughters, they told him they would chase me away […]

January 02, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Feuding at a distance

Dear Readers: Happy New Year! We hope you celebrated responsibly, and that 2012 will bring good health and good cheer to all of our wonderful readers. ———— Dear Annie: I’ve been married for 14 years and have known my husband’s family for an additional 10. My mother-in-law has always been critical of me, and I […]

January 01, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

How will you spend these last precious moments?

What if those wacky Mayans were right. What if, at precisely the stroke of midnight on Dec. 21, 2012 (12-21-2112, if numerology’s your thing) — poof. Or… boom!!! Or nothing but salt and pepper static where the Earth used to be, like what we saw on TV back in the day, when programs actually ended […]

January 01, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,