Wreath project a big success

On behalf of RememberAVet.net, we would like to thank everyone who took part in the 2011 veterans wreath project. Whether you donated money to purchase wreaths, supported the fundraising dinner, helped unload the trucks or participated in the wreath-laying event this past Saturday at the Sacramento Valley National Cemetery, we thank you for your participation. […]

December 16, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Volunteers give kids a chance

By Tracy L. Fauver In our own community, there are abused and neglected children who live in the shadows of our lives. She may be the little girl in your son’s kindergarten class who had to move homes and change schools three or four times in the past year. He may be the lonely child at […]

December 15, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Are we there yet? Fill ‘er up, but only when you really need to

TanyaPereznewW I often wonder which of my traits are the fault of my parents’ DNA, versus which are due to their parenting mistakes. Obviously, one way or another, it’s them not me. Having a sibling to measure against is often how I determine whether one of my more, ahem, challenging characteristics is all me, or […]

A treasured local resource

The Davis Enterprise continues to do a yeoman’s job of covering the events, issues and decisions that concern our community, all on a modest budget with a small staff. The coverage of the pepper-spray response to the student demonstrators at UC Davis and the fallout from that incident is just one recent example. Because of […]

December 16, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Let legislators answer for cuts

I was fortunate to attend the graduation ceremonies on Saturday morning at UC Davis. As I sat and watched the new graduates walk across the stage and heard their names announced I felt a surge of pride. I was proud of my alma mater (I’m a 1961 graduate) because as I watched, I saw the […]

What’s next for crowd control?

In response to Professor Quirino Paris, et al., a big amen! I was living and working in Berkeley during the Free Speech Movement in the 1960s. At that time, the police used tear gas spraying to disperse the crowds around Sproul Plaza. Now, with the advances (?) in technology, they are using pepper spray. Will a […]

Why we need to honor the Bill of Rights

By Ken Paulson Imagine if they canceled Independence Day. What if the federal government declared that the Fourth of July was no longer a holiday? We would be told to report for work, cancel fireworks displays and picnics and go about our business the same as any other day. There would be outrage. Americans would […]

The cold shoulder

Dear Annie: My husband and I have noticed that his sister’s husband has been rather cool to us for quite some time. We can barely get a civil hello from him at family events, yet he is warm and friendly to others. To the best of our knowledge, we have not done or said anything […]

December 14, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Please donate to Toys for Tots

The Toys for Tots program sponsored by the Marine Corps League of Yolo County has placed its barrels for toy donations throughout Davis and Woodland again this season. But donations are down this year and the barrels are sitting idle. Last year, the Marines gave away 7,000 toys to underprivileged children living in Yolo County […]

December 14, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

With gratitude for your help

To the city of Davis: As mother of a huge family, I want to thank the citizens and students who helped my John and Tammy, stranded in Davis due to hardship. All your donations gave them shelter and food while they were gathering themselves to get home. May God bless you all a hundredfold for opening […]

December 20, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thanks for an inclusive evening

CANVAS is a volunteer program of NAMI-Yolo, the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. We help neighbors who are recovering from psychiatric challenges enjoy the same community activities and opportunities we all share. We want to say a special thank you to everyone who worked on the Downtown Davis Holiday Open House. […]

December 15, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Craft show was a big success

We wish to thank the generous people of Davis for making our Village Homes craft show and sale a wonderful event, and a successful venture. We are also grateful to The Davis Enterprise for the wonderful publicity. Our local paper is a key player in getting the word out about community events like this that […]

December 15, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,