YCCC fans are all in

Yolo Community Care Continuum would like to thank everyone who attended, volunteered at and donated to the YCCC Blinds & Bluffs Poker Night on Oct. 22. We would like to thank the Davis Odd Fellows and Rebekahs for their financial support, donation of their facility for our event and event volunteers and Janssen Pharmaceuticals. We […]

November 13, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Pajamarino: 99 years, going strong

On Friday, Oct. 14, more than 600 students, alumni and community members gathered at the Davis Amtrak station for UC Davis’ 99th Pajamarino. While some traditions come and go, Pajamarino has managed to stay with us since 1912 when students first sneaked out of their dorms to greet alumni arriving at the train station for […]

November 17, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We sing for the community

I write in behalf of the Davis Community Chorale to thank you for your recent article about our upcoming concerts on Friday and Sunday, and also to stress that our concerts are always free and open to the public. Your article mentioned a “requested” donation; we sometimes suggest donations (as a nonprofit, donations are one […]

November 08, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A terrible decision by Whole Foods

I am not in the grocery business, but I am astonished by Whole Foods’ decision to open a store in the Davis Commons. David Lannon, Whole Foods president for its Northern California market, was quoted in your Nov. 3 article as saying “… and we liked this location a lot.” I’d like to know why. I can hardly […]

November 09, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Help DCM at annual fundraiser

Davis Community Meals is a nonprofit, interfaith, nondenominational organization that helps our less fortunate brothers and sisters. This organization provides housing and free meals to people in and around Davis who are homeless or without financial resources. For 20 years, Davis Community Meals provided housing and meals to individuals and families. Without the generous help […]

Taxation without representation

As a relatively new resident of Davis, I have been surprised by the lack of transparency of Davis elected officials. It seems that the residents are not to be brought into the decision-making process, especially when it comes to large decisions. You assume when you move to Davis, terms like “democracy,” “transparency” and “free-flowing information” […]

In defense of Brown’s leadership

By Doby Fleeman Sincere thanks to Gov. Jerry Brown for his leadership and willingness to confront our government’s limitless capacity to offer promises it can never hope to keep. With all due respect, the leadership of our public employee unions would do well to listen and take note — for the issues to which the […]

November 08, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Bank listens ‘very closely’ to lynch mob

The issue: If only they could move so quickly on cleaning up the foreclosure mess Bank of America became the last big bank to rescind the short-lived plan to impose a monthly $5 debit card fee because, as a senior bank official explained, “We have listened very closely to our customers over the last few […]

November 08, 2011 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Has it been like this for 25 years?

Dear Annie: My wife and I just celebrated a bittersweet 25th wedding anniversary. Eight months ago, a friend emailed that my wife’s college boyfriend, “Steve,” was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Their relationship only lasted a few months, but it was intense. He broke it off. She held on to those feelings for the longest time. […]

November 07, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Trouble brewing with dirty uncle

Dear Annie: Recently, our 11-year-old daughter visited her 14-year-old cousin over the weekend. When she came home, she told us that her aunt and uncle went to a neighborhood party, and she and her cousin went to bed in separate rooms. During the night, my brother-in-law came back alone and went into our daughter’s room, […]

November 06, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Time for this column to be judged against its peers

For years I entered the California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Better Newspaper contest with nary a nibble. First, I’d get a note from a Davis Enterprise editor asking me to choose three columns to submit. Many months later, I’d read a brief announcement that someone else had won. One year, I got a notice that I […]

We have the collective weaponry to fight the big-bank dragon

Holy moly, the people stared into the eye of the dragon … and the dragon blinked. Following Bank of America’s recent announcement to start charging a $5 fee when customers use their debit card, customers retaliated with the only weapon they have: their money. In the wake of customer uproar as other large banks like […]

When the truth hurts

Dear Annie: My cousin “Kelly” went from a rotten marriage to a horrible relationship, with no break in between. During this past year, her boyfriend has cheated, lied and threatened her. I was her shoulder to cry on and finally had too much and told her how stupid the whole situation was. This guy doesn’t […]

November 05, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,