Protest solitary confinement in prison

Marco Topete, we learned in Thursday’s Enterprise, spent nine years in solitary confinement during his years at Pelican Bay. In a monumental understatement, his lawyer said that when he came out of prison, Topete was “ill-equipped to adjust into a free society.” It’s impossible to imagine: Nine years, 23 hours per day in a windowless […]

October 18, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Nurture the arts in our schools

The Causeway Youth Band Festival Concert at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Mondavi Center features top performers from 50 area schools and universities with a thrilling finale featuring all 350 performers. I am a UC Davis alumnus with a political science (pre-law) major, but I had more units in my music minor. I returned to Davis […]

How much extra will it cost?

The people who cry “democracy” on the water project simply want to kill it. The fact is, this project will move ahead if there is no referendum vote. The opposition to the project knows that it’s not a hard lift to convince people to sign a petition or to vote no on an issue that […]

Social Security slow to protect, resurrect wrongly deceased

The issue: Congress should require disclosure of these breaches of confidentiality There’s an expression in Washington about politicians and agencies that find themselves in hot water: It’s not the crime, it’s the cover-up. IN THE CASE of the Social Security Administration’s massive breach of confidentiality, it wasn’t a crime, but incompetence, and not so much […]

October 21, 2011 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

An obsolete law hurts our relations with Russia

The issue: Repeal of old restrictions on trade would be a nice calling card for new ambassador The Soviet Union was traditionally hostile toward emigration. If people left, it would belie the communists’ carefully constructed, if widely disbelieved image, as a paradise for workers and peasants. Besides, the people who did get out might describe […]

October 20, 2011 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

When parents are landlords, too

Dear Annie: I am a 19-year-old girl still living with my parents. My 22-year- old brother lives here, as well. I am working two part-time jobs and recently obtained full-time employment. My brother, “Sam,” attended college courses for one semester two years ago. He has never been employed. He spends all day in his room […]

October 18, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Soap: Not for internal use

Dear Annie: The other day my daughter threatened to wash her 4-year-old’s mouth out with soap. I don’t want to interfere in how she disciplines her kids, but I told her I am totally against putting soap in a child’s mouth. I explained that soap contains many chemicals that could be harmful, especially to a […]

October 16, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Yolo Crisis Nursery: Economy takes toll on children

By Becky Heard and Heather Jeppeson Economic downturns create societal consequences. We know, for example, that funding for schools has suffered. Some kids are going without basics. School supplies, medical care and even food and shelter are fragile necessities for our most vulnerable young citizens. What’s often hidden from view, however, is when the economy […]

October 19, 2011 | Posted in Children | Tagged ,

American soldiers honored at cemetery in France

France gave the United States a piece of land in perpetuity for the graves of American soldiers who died on D-day or in related operations. My husband and I visited a couple of weeks ago. It is not my habit to visit gravesites. The American Cemetery occupies 172.5 acres on the high ground above Omaha […]

Occupy Wall Street by occupying Main Street — with your money

So last week, we established that we’re angry. Well, 99 percent of us are, anyway. Angry at Wall Street, angry at Capitol Hill (redundancy mine) and I’d like to say we’re not going to take it anymore, but clearly we’re face down over the financial barrel and can’t do much but yell. But, at least […]

Grandson takes on the burden

Dear Annie: I am one of three sisters. Our mother is 93 years old and has Alzheimer’s. For the past four years, my 44-year-old son has been her full-time caregiver. He shops, cooks, does her laundry, makes sure she takes her medications and is up half the night helping her use the bathroom. He listens […]

October 15, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Teen brains are a work in progress

How do teens alternate between shoplifting a case of beer, then “borrowing” a car and at other times scoring the winning goal or singing the National Anthem at perfect key? The answer, of course, is that their brains are a work in progress, still churning out new bundles of cells and knitting them together with […]

It’s simple: Let the people vote

By Michael Bartolic This is an opinion piece about the water referendum. But it isn’t about the science or the economics of that issue, per se. It’s about why I volunteered to put the water referendum on the ballot when the City Council disregarded public opinion and the circumstances of its residents, letting a couple […]