Violence is not appropriate

The following letter was signed by a group of UC Davis faculty and staff and sent to Chancellor Linda Katehi: We are saddened and disappointed by the way that the university decided to handle the removal of the students’ encampment on the Quad on Friday afternoon. Until now, we used to take pride in the […]

Outrageous response by chancellor

The following is a copy of a letter to UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi: I was forwarded your letter to the UC Davis campus community, included below. Your response is inadequate and deceptive. You state, “We are saddened to report that during this activity, 10 protesters were arrested and pepper spray was used.” The passive voice does not […]

Calm tactics urged with Davis group

The following is a copy of a letter to the Davis City Council: Please instruct the Davis police chief to use calm, deliberate tactics in any confrontation with unarmed demonstrators, particularly the Occupy Davis camp in the Davis Central Park. It is possible to be forceful without inflicting bodily harm. In the early 1970s the city […]

Uphold Principles of Community

The memories I have as an alumna of UC Davis are suddenly shattered by the images of police violence against peaceful protesters, students just like us — trusting that their campus would be a place where they could speak their minds and their hearts without fear of oppression and brutality. The UC Davis I attended […]

Students were no threat

When I was watching video of UC Davis police spraying pepper spray on Occupy UCD students, I was so upset I was shaking. What kind of police can do such a horrible thing to innocent, peaceful students? The officer who used pepper spray is a coward. Pepper spray should be used only to control violent […]

Anger, disgust replace pride

As an alumnus of UCD, I was shocked and appalled by the outrageous display of police brutality against students who were practicing their constitutional right to peaceably assemble. What Chancellor Linda Katehi has done is absolutely unconscionable, and she bears personal responsibility for students on her campus being brutalized by armed thugs. She has shown […]

Chief, lieutenant should resign

The action taken against protesting UC Davis students on Friday was unnecessary and inexcusable. Students and citizens must be allowed to exercise their First Amendment rights without being brutalized by police. Lt. John Pike’s actions against the protesters constituted excessive force and assault. UCD Police Chief Annette Spicuzza proved herself a liar in her statement […]

National shame for UC Davis

The following is an open letter to UC Davis Chancellor Katehi, I received my Ph.D. in English from UC Davis in 1991. I worked as a lecturer in the UC Davis English department from 1991 to 1994. I am writing to you today to express my horror at the police conduct on the Quad during […]

Chancellor should step down

I call for the resignation of UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi. The treatment of the peaceful protesters by the university police was brutal and unneeded. Trampling the protesters’ rights of free speech and assembly is inappropriate and counterproductive. I am as proud and encouraged by the students’ peaceful resistance as I am appalled and outraged […]

Cutbacks hurting students

Dear Annie: I am very concerned about the state of education, specifically as it relates to the elimination of services. I am a high school counselor who is passionate about helping students and their families navigate through some of life’s most difficult obstacles, including drug and alcohol abuse, bullying, teen pregnancy, divorce, peer-pressure, self-esteem issues […]

November 19, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Some advice to the council

It is still refreshing that Davis’ ragtag, though well-informed, platoon of community advocates can hold city government to task. It is still disappointing that they have to, and once again makes me regret my optmistic council candidate endorsements. City Attorney Harriet Steiner has long been a bit of an unrestrained cannon, lofting shells from right […]

November 25, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Yes, it’s time for a split roll

Oh thank you, thank you for Tom Elias’ Nov. 13 column, “Changes to Prop. 13 could become a necessity”! Elias correctly reminds us that “… when Howard Jarvis and Paul Gann … campaigned for Prop. 13, they spoke only about residential properties … repeating that homeowners were being forced out (of their homes) because of […]

Don’t we care anymore?

I was dismayed by the article last week regarding the wild turkey with an arrow through its body. I am further dismayed by a recent letter to the editor, describing what has become of the habitat ordinarily considered “home” to the turkeys. In a city that regards itself as politically correct on all issues, I […]