A thousand thanks from STEAC

The Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee recently completed the 2011 Holiday Program and wants to thank the literally hundreds of volunteers, churches, businesses, schools, professional organizations and the families and individuals who make this wonderful program happen each and every year. The wonderful generosity of our community is constantly amazing. This year 1,413 people were helped. […]

February 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Blues Harvest was a big success

Friends of Adult Day Health Care are tremendously grateful for the community support that helped make the 10th annual Blues Harvest held as a benefit for the Yolo Adult Day Health Center our most successful event to date. In particular, we would like to thank our honorary chairmen: Cap and Helen Thomson; our sponsors: Woodland […]

February 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A proud history of UC Davis ‘occupations’

By Michael Williams The recent Occupy UC Davis protesters join a long line of “occupy” activists at UCD events dating back 40 years. In 1970, protesters set up “Peace City” on the Quad, steps away from the now-infamous pepper spray spot. Peace City was a large covered dome that served as headquarters for the campus […]

Just us: Where there is hope

* Editor’s note: This essay is adapted from a talk that will be given Sunday at the ninth annual Celebration of Abraham: “Where there is hope…” The event runs from 3 to 5 p.m. at the St. James Catholic Church Memorial Center, 1275 B St. One of many held around the country, the Celebration of […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

What do you think: What movie should win Best Picture at the Oscars?

Tim Mualchin bike shop employee, Fairfield: ” ‘Hugo.’ I don’t think a movie in that genre has won in a while.” Ian Soffos student, Davis: ” ‘The Help.’ I heard it was really good.” Gina Davis PDQ employee, Davis: ” ‘The Help.’ I saw it and it was really good.” Dan Urazandi movie renter, Davis: […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

New ways to test for drugs

Collecting blood and urine specimens can often be messy or painful for patients. And for legally sensitive tests, such as for drugs or alcohol, ensuring the sample’s integrity demands close supervision at the expense of privacy. So there’s understandable biotech buzz about a trio of new testing devices that use saliva and teardrops to measure […]

January 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Time to end the DACHA mess

The following is a copy of a letter to the Davis City Council: Whether you like it or not, the ability to end the Davis Area Cooperative Housing Association mess lies with you. Just as President Truman’s desk plate said “The Buck stops Here,” so does “DACHA” end up on your curving desk. It’s time […]

February 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Keeping up appearances

Dear Annie: I never thought I’d be writing, but here I am. I was a single mother and struggled to raise my children without help. They are all good kids. One daughter, “Susan,” lives 2,000 miles away from the rest of the family. She left home early, went to the big city and educated herself. […]

January 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

More than just ‘street theater’

I was interested to read David Mandel’s response, “These cases are just crying wolf,” to Tom Elias’ “Do campuses back anti-Semitism?” Most of his article focuses on the checkpoints that Students For Justice in Palestine puts up on campuses all across the United States, checkpoints that are supposed to replicate security checkpoints that the Israeli […]

February 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Fungus is killing our oak trees

I want to educate people about sudden oak death. A fungus called p. romorum was found in California in 1995 and now infects many oak species. It also affects many other species such as the Douglas fir and bay laurel. The fungus causes the oaks leaves to dry out and turn brown, and the tree […]

January 26, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Celebration will be hopeful

The ninth annual celebration of Abraham is just around the corner. It will be held from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday at the St. James Catholic Church Memorial Center, 1275 B St. in Davis. The event is free and everyone is welcome. For 10 years, followers of Abrahamic religions (Jews, Christians and Muslims) in Davis […]

January 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

‘Alarming’ development, really?

I for one am thrilled that young people are deciding in huge numbers not to drive cars. I have no idea what The Enterprise editorial board members ate for breakfast the day they opined that this trend is “alarming,” “grim” and “strikes at the heart of American values,” but it must have been Twinkies. (“The […]

January 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,