Trouble on vacation

Dear Annie: When is a kiss just a kiss? The husband of my wife’s best friend gave her a wee bit of a special kiss on the lips after another summer of overlapping vacation time at a summer cottage. I could be way off the mark, but it seemed like more than a brief goodbye […]

November 18, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Keep the giving spirit alive

As the Davis Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF campaign coordinators, we would like to thank Anoushka and Milan Chander for their wonderful letter Nov. 13 to The Davis Enterprise. Their comments capture the spirit and the aims of Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF — to make Halloween count by using it as an opportunity for those who have much […]

November 18, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We’re crying out against greed

Yes, I also support the Occupy Davis movement. The time has come for such an uprising. Perhaps it is not too late for a fundamental change. As Howard Zinn said, “Change begins at the bottom.” He also said that those in power never change without a struggle. All voices and issues are heard in the […]

C’mon, Davis, shelter turkeys!

Riding my bicycle down Eighth Street yesterday I was shocked to see the emptiness created by clearing the Chiles Ranch site for the new development of that name. The old barn where the turkeys roosted is gone and there is left scarcely a bush for cover. Farther along, I was stopped by newly homeless wild […]

Halloween is not over yet

By Mark Rollins Halloween may have come and gone but there are still demons, witches, ghosts and goblins out and about. Like the demon called Whirlpool Corp., which is celebrating its 100th anniversary by shipping 5,000 manufacturing jobs out of the United States after receiving $9.3 million in stimulus money and doubling its third-quarter profits. […]

November 18, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Congress cringes at impacts of defense cuts

The issue: Defense secretary spells out consequences in no uncertain terms Late last week, the two top Republicans on the Senate Armed Services Committee asked Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to outline the impact of $1.2 trillion in automatic spending cuts on the national defense if the congressional deficit reduction panel fails to reach agreement by […]

November 18, 2011 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Time to get paid

Dear Annie: A few years ago, my daughter was newly married and pregnant. Neither she nor her husband had a job, so both sets of parents took them in at various times and helped when the baby was born. My son-in-law went back to school and got a job, and they finally moved into a […]

November 17, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Brown tackles pensions, prisons

Political landmarks that can properly be labeled “Nixon-to-China” moments are rare, usually occurring only once in a career, if ever. But his actions on prisons and pensions gave Gov. Jerry Brown two of them this summer and fall. The term Nixon-to-China stems from President Richard Nixon’s 1972 opening to what was then called Red China, […]

November 17, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

No going back now

Dear Annie: My girlfriend, “Sophie,” and I broke up three months ago after a five-year relationship because of my inability to commit. While we were together, I was brutally honest about how I felt, even though I hated how unhappy she was listening to me. Sophie and I have taken multiple short breaks in the […]

November 16, 2011 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Field hockey says thank you

We would like to thank the following busineses for their donations and support throughout the Davis High School field hockey season this year. We could not have had such successful fundraisers and season without your generosity. Many thanks to: Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Jamba Juice, Cenarios Pizza, Safeway, Onsports, Cathy’s Embrodiery, Davis Awards & Watchworks, […]

December 14, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A cool weekend for all

As co-directors of the Cool Davis weekend, we are thankful to Mother Earth, who gave us three days of blissful weather, and to all those who contributed — Cool Davis members and initiative partners, sponsors, performers, city of Davis staff, elected officials, exhibitors, demonstrators, awardees, a host of volunteers and hundreds of visitors. On Friday […]

$760 goes to local 4-H clubs

Ticket sales for Local for The Holidays, a food- and wine-tasting event, totaling $760 will be donated to the West Plainfield, Norwood and Golden Valley 4-H clubs. The Davis Food Co-op and Slow Food Yolo organized and hosted event at the Davis Farmers Market Pavilion on Saturday, Nov. 5. One hundred percent of funds from […]

November 17, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Harvest Celebration a success

On behalf of the board and staff of the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center, I would like to thank everyone in the community who came out to make our Harvest Celebration a huge success. A special thank you to our hosts, Ed and Mona Prieto, and to Roadhouse 5 for providing the entertainment. I […]

Kudos on new water tank mural

I, for one, totally enjoy the gigantic mural on the East Area Water Tank. I took my first walk all the way around it, thought the colors looked great and complemented the surroundings. During the entire 360-degree journey, I was constantly engaged, trying to guess the meaning of the large letters on the sides, trying […]

December 14, 2011 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,