More good news arrived last week for the authors of “The Davis Farmers Market Cookbook”: Their work received first place for nonfiction in the Writer’s Digest 2012 Contest for Self-Published Books. The two netted a $1,000 cash prize and will have their cookbook featured in the March 2013 issue of Writer’s Digest Magazine.
This is the cookbook’s second national award; it also won first place for in the 2012 National Indie Excellence Book Awards in the Regional Cookbook category. The authors are Ann Evans of Davis and Georgeanne Brennan of Winters.
The cookbook — released in April — takes a seasonal approach with its recipes and bases them on ingredients that can be found at farmers markets seasonally. The book provides a few basic recipes such roasted vegetables and risotto, which are easily adapted, depending on what’s in season.
” ‘The Davis Farmers Market Cookbook’ makes the perfect holiday gift,” said market manager Randii MacNear. “It’s a little piece of Davis packed with recipes that illustrate why our shoppers love our market. And home cooks love getting a signed copy of an award-winning cookbook.”
Upcoming signings include:
* Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Davis Farmers Market, Third and C streets, 10 to 11 a.m.: The authors will sign books and give holiday cooking and gift-giving ideas. The market offers free gift basket wrapping with your purchase of the book and other market items.
* Sunday, Dec. 2, at Davis Ace Hardware, 240 G St., 2 to 3 p.m.: Evans will present another one of her popular “All About Canning” demonstrations, using recipes from the book.
* Thursday, Dec. 6, at Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op, 1900 Alhambra Blvd., 6:30 p.m: The authors will give a cooking demonstration and sign books.
* Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Davis Farmers Market, Third and C streets 10 to 11 a.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 15, at nestware, 207 F St. in Davis, 3 to 5 p.m.: Join the authors for a holiday open house with sparkling wine and appetizers from the cookbook.
“The Davis Farmers Market Cookbook” is on sale at the market shed at the Davis Farmers Market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays and 2 to 6 p.m. Wednesday; at The Avid Reader, 617 Second St.; Davis Ace, 240 G St.; Davis Food Co-op, 620 G St.; Nugget Market, 1414 E Covell Blvd. and 409 Mace Blvd.; Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op; and online at Amazon.com and DavisFarmersMarketCookbook.com.