The newly rebranded Sutter Davis Hospital Farmers Market — located at the hospital’s entrance at 2000 Sutter Place – reopens Thursday and runs each Thursday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Aug. 29.
Opening day festivities include cooking demonstrations and tastings, face time with Dinger and Sacramento River Cats players, health screenings, giveaways plus a market filled with farm-fresh produce, local honey, baked goods, flowers, plants and garden starts.
“About a dozen sellers have confirmed for this year’s market at Sutter, with most of them at the market beginning on opening day,” says Randii MacNear, executive director of the Davis Farmers Market and manager of the Sutter market. “We’ve added some new local farmers to the mix this year, plus local farm-fresh flowers, plants and garden starts.”
Market shoppers will find:
* Cherries, apricots, peaches and nectarines from Nuefeld Farms in Kingsburg;
* Asian vegetables, lettuces and flowers from Loving Nature Farm in Clarksburg;
* Blueberries from Neilson’s Berries in Dunnigan;
* Blackberries from Bridgeway Farms in Davis;
* Carrots, potatoes, beets, onions, garlic cherries and tomatoes (later) from Toledo Farms in Acampo;
* Pasture-raised chicken, Muscovey duck, lamb and pork plus vegetable and garden starts from Creekside Ranch and Skyelark Ranch in Capay Valley;
* Local honey and honey sauces from Henry’s Bullfrog Bees;
* Garden starts and potted plants, large and small, from Boucher Plants in Suisun City;
* Strawberries from Williamson Farms;
* Avocados from Shoup Farms; and
* A wide variety of breads and baked goods from Upper Crust Bakery of Davis.
Sutter Davis Hospital Farmers Market will accept EBT cards and issue market scrip, as well as WIC farmers market nutrition coupons for WIC mothers and seniors.
In the past few months, both Sutter Davis Hospital and UC Davis have rebranded their market’s logo with the Davis Farmers Market’s “watermelon brand.”
The Davis Farmers Market operates and manages four markets: the Davis market on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Wednesdays from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Central Park; the UC Davis Farmers Market at the Silo patio on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. during the spring and fall quarters; and the Sutter Davis Hospital Farmers Market on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at hospital’s entrance.