Valentine cards from the early 1900s will be on display this month at the Hattie Weber Museum, 445 C St. in downtown Davis. Most of the cards express sentimental messages. Some are humorous; one is mildly naughty. In addition, the exhibit includes some interesting facts about valentines and Valentine’s Day.
The “Hattie’s Attic” exhibit, soon to be replaced, is still on display, showing unusual artifacts and photos from the museum’s collection. Visitors also can see bottles and other items excavated from the old well at the Dresbach-Hunt-Boyer mansion when Mansion Square was built in 1978 at Second and E streets in downtown Davis.
Lincoln Highway buffs will be interested in materials collected by Bill Roe on his cross-country bicycle trip along the United States’ first transcontinental road. Children and adults will be interested to hear the phonograph purchased by William Oeste in 1917 and to type on the museum’s antique typewriters.
Also available at the museum are copies of “University of California, Davis,” the latest entry of the now-familiar Arcadia Publishing series of local history books, with their sepia covers. The book includes about 230 photos of campus history, almost all taken before 1980. It is co-authored by Dennis Dingemans, the museum’s director, and Ann Foley Scheuring.
The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Wednesdays. Admission is free, but donations are accepted with gratitude.