This month, the Second Friday ArtAbout has gained a sponsor — the Davis Food Co-op — and regained former venues with the return of Bohème Hip Used Clothing, Cobalt Salon & Gallery, Monticello Seasonal Cuisine, RE/MAX Gold and The Wardrobe.
Davis Downtown’s Second Friday ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. All events are free and open to the public. Many showings include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists.
Art receptions and viewings:
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Open Art Studio Tour,” a pre-tour exhibit of various works by Davis artists participating in the Open Art Studio Tour, giving an insider’s view of the working spaces and processes of participating artists, exhibit through Tuesday, tour Saturday and Sunday, sponsored by Davis artists and The Artery. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Best Western Palm Court, 234 D St., 530-231-5919; reception, 7-9:30 p.m., Sotoodeh Yarmahomoudi, illustrations in ink and watercolor, through April 30.
* Bohème Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St.; reception, 6-8 p.m., Kris Rosa, acrylic paintings, through April 30. Live music by Mama Jenny’s Little Monsters starting at 6:30 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday-Monday, noon-3 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4:30-7 p.m., “Paintings,” Dee Conway, oil, through April 30. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Cobalt Salon & Gallery, 132 E St., Suite 350 (Mansion Square), 916-806-3141; reception, 6-8 p.m., Sadet Kanac, a 15-year-old digital artist presenting digital prints and video of her drawing archives, through June 30. Artist and champagne reception with live music. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. for the gallery, and other times by appointment.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., Paul Anderson, art resembling indigenous Huichal art mixed with Joan Miro, mixed media, through May. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; awards reception, 6-7:30 p.m., “Secondary School Art Exhibit & Senior Juried Show,” Seniors from Davis public high schools, various media, through April 18. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., rotating art show from Team Davis students, through April 30. Kids are welcome to create art at reception; free refreshments. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., “Anatomically Incorrect World of Marguerite Schaffron,” Marguerite Schaffron, mixed media, through May 10. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* International House, Davis, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Looking around, Reaching,” Philippe Gandiol, oil painting, and “Then and Now,” Marilyn Judson, paper sculpture. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Jeffery Granett, plexiglass prints, through June 30. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* Mishka’s Cafe, 610 Second St., 530-759-0811; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., new artists every month. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Monticello Seasonal Cuisine, 630 G St., 530-792-8066; reception, 5:30-8:30 p.m., “Dirt Between the Toes,” Heather Vittum Fuller, lino cuts, through April 30. Artist present, refreshments available for purchase, live music by Bob Wren. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; Tuesday-Saturday, 5:30-10 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10 p.m., “Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens’ Memorial Exhibition,” international group show, mixed media, through April 20. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; viewing, 6:30-8 p.m., “tintin au nestware,” posters and all things Tintin, through April 30. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., David Clemens, mixed media landscapes, through April 30. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St., Suite A; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Paris in Spring,” Paulina Jacobs-Sanders as hostess and artist featuring works from Paris, photography, through April 30. Wine and dessert at the reception. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Home Is: Artists Reflect on the Meaning of Place,” Suzanne Long, Barbara Prodaniuk, Hearne Pardee and Judith Monroe’s mixed media work and ceramic sculpture, sponsored by Roger and Claudia Salquist, through June 2; and “Crazy Critters,” through April 28. Wine tasting by Senders Wines, free craft project and guitar music by Jason McAlister. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Radiate Art Collective, 231 G St. (Court-N-Cedar), 530-304-5821, www.radiate-art.com; artist’s reception, 6-9 p.m., Bill and Amy Habicht, Schorré Oldham, Jan Wolf, Kyle Monhollen and Stacie Frerichs; photography, textiles, painting, jewelry and prints. Enjoy drinks and appetizers while visiting with the artists in four studios. Studio space still available.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), 530-756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Springtime in California,” Jason Branz Photography, photography, one night only (April 12). Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., Patris, oil paintings, through April 30. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court-N-Cedar), [email protected]; reception, 5:30-9 p.m., Lauren Brandy, landscapes and still lifes in oil, and Thelma Weatherford, acrylic and mixed media abstract paintings, through May 1. Come by and enjoy artwork, drink wine and nibble on sweets in this open studio setting. Hours: by appointment.
* UC Davis Alumni and Visitors Center, south end of the UC Davis campus, 530-754-9195; viewing, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Peter Shahrokh, through May 31. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Made in California: A Tianello Trunk Show Weekend,” Steve Barraza, clothing. Video premiere of “Made in California” and informal fashion show, with a special trunk show the following day. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Whole Foods Market Davis, 500 First St., 530-750-2266; reception 5-7 p.m., Lacin and Christophel Mural & Design, store mural. Live music, wine tasting, and artists present. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.
* The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F (upstairs in the back), [email protected]; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Captured on Earth,” Wes Hardaker, photography, after reception viewing is by appointment. Food, drinks and conversation with Wes. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., Suites A and F, 530-758-0544; reception, 2-7 p.m., Mamadu, mixed media. Come check out their new store and enjoy free refreshments. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other events during ArtAbout:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; 6:30-8:30 p.m., Live music, starting at 6:30 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
* Davis Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.; 6-7 p.m., Odd Poetry open microphone outside the hall.
* Original Steve’s Pizza, 314 F St., 530-758-2800; 6-9 p.m., acoustic rock music by Dave Hafter in the back dining room. Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.