In the holiday spirit, the Second Friday ArtAbout is allowing patrons the opportunity to put the adage “It’s better to give than receive” into practice.
Aside from enjoying the traditional artists’ receptions and art viewings, individuals have the opportunity to purchase various items with proceeds going to help typhoon victims in the Philippines. Various artists have pledged a portion of the sale of select pieces to the fundraising effort of the city of Davis’ Friends of Los Baños Committee. Funds will be going to agencies directly involved with relief operations. Pledged art pieces will be marked with Philippine Typhoon Relief ribbons.
This monthly self-guided artwalk is sponsored by the Davis Food Co-op and Davis Downtown. It is open to the public, and includes free refreshments, opportunities to chat with featured artists, as well as live music and art demonstrations.
For more information, visit davisdowntown.com or email [email protected]. For a list of participating artists in the Philippine typhoon relief fundraising effort, visit www.facebook.com/events/541650999249852.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Art-is-Davis, 222 D St., 530-758-2312; reception, 6-9 p.m., Marieke de Waard, Seana Burke, Jan Walker, Joanne Andresen, acrylics, watercolor, oil, mixed media, life drawings and paintings, through Jan. 10. Live music in the courtyard between the Tea List and Art-is-Davis. Refreshments served and artists present. Hours: Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; viewing, 10 a.m.-9 p.m., “Annual All Member Holiday Gift Show” through Dec. 23. Expanded holiday hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. from Dec. 10-23. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Bohéme Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St., 530-341-2004; live music, 7-8 p.m., Songs performed by Crow Canyon (Riley Donahue, Nathan Pucket and Drew Thomsen), one night only. Holiday refreshments will be served! Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday-Monday, noon-3 p.m.
* ciocolat, 301 B St., 530-753-3088; viewing, 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Sandra Proudman, photography. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Friday, Saturday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., new artist every month. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Chamber of Commerce, 604 Third St., 530-756-5160; reception, 5-7:30 p.m., “California Landscapes,” Chella Gonsalves, Myron Stephens, Jasmine Shahbandi, Kerry Rowland-Avrech and John Weber, oil, watercolor and acrylic, through Dec. 31. This collection was loaned by John Natsoulas Gallery. Please stop by to enjoy the artwork and light refreshments, and pick up Davis maps and other visitor materials. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Team Davis Holiday Art Sale,” featuring art by Team Davis artists. Kids will get to color and paint, music will be played, and refreshments, cold cuts and snacks will be served. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Davis Makerspace, 221 G St., Suite 1337 (in Tim Spencer Alley, behind Bistro 33), [email protected]; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Shifting Projects,” Emily Schleiner, Arthur Arlt, Lucian Novosel, photography, mixed media, sculpture, one night only (Dec. 13). Artists present and refreshments served. Hours: varied (see current hours at wiki.davismakerspace.org).
* Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 Second St.; 6:30-7:30 p.m., “Odd Poetry,” immediately outside (or inside if inclement weather) the Odd Fellows Lodge, you will find the Odd Poets. Stop by for a few minutes or for the full hour for spoken word, poetry, verse, humor, and fun.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; viewing, 7:30 a.m.-midnight, Mary Watson, photography. Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Thursday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-midnight; Saturday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
* F St. Gallery of Hallmark Inn, 110 F St.; reception, 5-8 p.m., Hallmark Inn presents a preview of historic artworks by local artists from the Collection of the Davis Art Center. Some artwork now available for sale, through Dec. 26. A donation box will be available to donate to the Davis Art Center. Hours: 24.
* First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., 530-204-5444; reception, 5:30-8:30 p.m., “Images in My Mind,” Erik Johansson, Berlin artist, photography and retouch, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Sunflower Faces,” Linda Ziskind, photography, through Jan. 6, and landscape oil paintings of the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area by Andre Janitzky, through Feb. 10. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., “Surprised by Life,” Ann Wright, pen and ink, through December. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Mishka’s Cafe, 610 Second St., 530-759-0811; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., new artists every month. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; viewing, 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Michelle Gregor, Rodney Artiles, Kerry Rowland-Avrech and Nathan Ring, ceramics, mixed media, through Jan. 4. Hours: Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9 p.m., Steve Pro, mixed media, wood, acrylic, metal, through Dece. 31. Refreshments served and artist present. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30p.m., Tom Corbett, drawings. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St.; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., “Oil Still Lifes,” Patris, oil paintings, through Jan. 8. Solo violinist Mary Neery and the Davis High School Baroque ensemble will perform. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Holiday Market,” this annual sale features items made by local artists. “Pop-Up! A Private Collection of 3D Children’s Books,” examples of this art form will be on display in this special exhibit on loan from the collection of Dr. Maria Winkler, professor of art emeritus at Sacramento State, through Dec. 29. “Victoria Rose Martin: Beasties,” colorful ceramic sculptures, through Dec. 29. “Square Tomatoes Crafts,” Sally Parker and Dede Degraffenried will display crafts, upstairs of the Pence. Music by Joaquin Feliciano, rock, blues, pop, from 7-9 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), 530-756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m., “National Parks on Ice-A Winter Exploration,” Jason Branz, photography, one night only (Dec, 13). Enjoy refreshments, a wine tasting, DJ Trop’a from Marseille, France and outdoor Fall patio view of Davis from the third floor. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., Julie Brinley, succulent gardens, and Urban Goddess Designs by Misty Reed and Lisa Novotny, hand-blown, glass bead jewelry, through Dec. 27. Artists will be present and refreshments will be served. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Riki Design, 202 E St., 530-756-8048, www. karolographic.com; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Devant Ma Porte,” Caroline Baudinet, acrylic. Caroline is an artist/graphic artist from Paris, France.
* Skin Renewal Center, 231 E St., Suite 3, 530-753-1605; reception, 6-8 p.m., Tatyana Bychkov, wheat and wild oat straw art. Refreshments served. Hours: Tuesday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday by appointment 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court ‘N Cedar); reception, 6-9 p.m., “Merry and Bright,” Lauren Brandy and Thelma Weatherford, paintings in oil and acrylic, small ceramic works, through Jan. 10. Enjoy refreshments and chat with the artists. Part of the Radiate Art Collective; studio space is still available: www.radiate-art.com. Hours: By appointment.
* Studio 26, 231 G St., Suite 26 (Court ‘N Cedar); reception, 6-9 p.m., Schorré Oldham (jewelry and fine art, www.oldcheviproductions.com), Amy and Bill Habicht (photography and custom printing), Stacie Frerichs (letter press prints), Kyle Monhollen (screen prints). “In the Beginning…” is a continuing series of fine art pieces by Schorré Oldham celebrating the journey in search of the Feminine Divine. Enjoy refreshments and visiting with the artists. Part of the Radiate Art Collective; studio space is still available: www.radiate-art.com. Hours: By appointment.
* Upwelling Capital Group, 117 D St., 916-501-8286, www.renewablejewels.net; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Holiday,” Renewable Jewels, vintage jewelry reimagined, one night only (Dec. 13). There will be specialty desserts and Heringer Estates Winery. The artist will be present to tell the history of the handmade jewelry.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 4-9 p.m., “From Runway to Real,” holiday trunk show, showcasing Project Runway and Sacramento designer Richard Hallmarq’s Holiday Collection. At 8 p.m., the Wardrobe will feature a Q & A with Hallmarq, giving a glimpse into the exciting world of fashion. This will also be an opportunity to ask questions to get to know the designer himself, and receive valuable insights into the world of being a 21st century fashion designer. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., Suite A and F, 530-758-0544; reception, 1-6 p.m., Dixies, mixed media, one night only (Dec. 13). Come by for refreshments and pictures with Santa. Hours: Suite A, Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Suite F, Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.