Artober festivities amp up with the Second Friday ArtAbout, a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. Coordinated by the Davis Downtown, all events are free and open to the public. Many include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists.
Pomegranate Salon rejoins ArtAbout this month, promoting Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Live music, a DJ and/or a special event are planned at Armadillo Music, Davis Art Center, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, Odd Fellows Hall, Delta of Venus, French Cuff Consignment, John Natsoulas Gallery, Pence Gallery, Pomegranate Salon, Studio K, Thai Recipes, The Wardrobe, The Work Shop and the Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Art receptions and viewings are planned at:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Zed,” Gabe Horn, mixed media, through Nov. 7. Live music by Misner & Smith starting at 7 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “My Left Hand,” Phil Gross, painting, through Nov. 6. Hours: Monday-Thursday & Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Avid Reader, 617 Second St., 530-758-4040; reception, 5:30-7 p.m., “Northern California,” Melissa Leady, photography, through Nov. 5. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Bohème Hip Used Clothing and Paulina’s Boutique, 222 D St., Suite 9A; reception 6:30-8 p.m., Emma Luna, ceramics, through Oct. 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30-5:30 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-6 p.m., Marlene Lee, oil and acrylic paintings, through Oct. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crème de la Crème, 222 D St., Suite 6B, 530-758-0851; reception, 6-8 p.m., CK, oil painting, one night only (Oct. 12). Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 6 a.m.-11 p.m., Dolores Rodriguez, paintings and collage, through Nov. 30. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Stretching Function,” Heidi Bekebrede, George Grant and Lillian Grant on collaborative works, and solo work by Rebecca Bresnick Holmes, Linda S. Fitz Gibbon, Marc Lancet, Donna Lemongello, Jennifer Nachmanoff, Sara Post, Thomas Post and Jean Van Keuren, functional ceramics, through Nov. 17. Fair trade shelves and a Topsy Turvy Teapot table. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., Rotating art show from Team Davis students, through Oct. 31. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Capturing Study Abroad: Award-Winning Photos from Aggies Around the World,” UC Davis Study Abroad photo contest winners and participants, through Nov. 30. Live Brazilian music by Boca Beats. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
* Edward Jones Investments, 4627 Fermi Place, Suite 130, 530-747-2002; reception, 4:30-8 p.m., Sandi Osterman, creator of Raven’s Nest Design Jewelry, handcrafted artisan jewelry using semi-precious gemstones, Swarovski crystals, fresh water pearls, Czech glass and sterling and fine silver; Norma Rice, fiber art knitted scarves, hats, handbags, accessories and customized chemo caps; and Bill Briggs, nature and landscape photography, one night only (Oct. 12). Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., Drew McSherry, charcoal, through Oct. 31. Music by DJ Rock Bottom at reception. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Ecotones: A photographic exploration of wetlands,” James Scott, photography, in the Community Room through Nov. 7. “Sketches by Birgitta B. Olson,” Prisma color pencil, in the Lounge Area through Nov. 7. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; reception, 6:30-9 p.m., “Whimsical Art World of Marguerite Schaffron,” abstract art, through Dec. 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* Lyon Real Estate, 401 Second St., 530-758-0720; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Ben Tuason, black-and-white with selective color photos, through Oct. 28. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Beat Generation and Beyond,” various artists, various media, through Nov. 3. Live music at the reception. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall, UC Davis, 530-752-8500; reception, 5-7 p.m., “Out of Line: A Show of Extended Drawing Practices,” Carol Bernard, Bette Burgoyne, Larry Cressman, Jim Denevan, Jeff Eisenberg, Julia Haft-Candell, Jim Melchert and Hong Zhang, various media, through Dec. 16. Check website nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu for general hours.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Jean Sanchirico at nestware,” Northern California landscapes in pastels, through Oct. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 am-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., “Students of Wild Child Outdoor Photo Camp,” nature photographs, students taught by Rita Gordon, through Oct. 26. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Women that I Have Encountered: Paintings, Prints and Drawings by Malaquias Montoya,” through Nov. 25; “Open Studio: Roma Devanbu,” through Nov. 2; and “Artists and Their Studios,” photographs of studios alongside work by various local artists, through Oct. 28. Live music by a Davis High School string quartet, 7-8 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Pomegranate Salon, 123 D St., 530-753-3559; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” Charles V McDonald, photography, and Casey Robin Neal, illustrations, through Oct. 31. Live guitar and vocals by David Hafter. Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.; Wednesday & Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 5-8 p.m., “Urban Goddess Designs,” Misty Reed and Lisa Novotny, glass pendants and jewelry, through Nov. 2. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Studio K, 229 C St. (behind Coral Bay Dentistry), 530-753-3770; reception, 10-5 p.m., Judy and Doug Gerhart, Bay Area artists who create beautiful still life and floral oil and acrylic paintings. Stella & Dot jewelry and Eufora & Davines hair products available. Hours: Monday-Tuesday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Wednesday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; Thursday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Thai Recipes, 132 E St., Suite 190, 530-759-2099; reception, 6-7:30 p.m., “Sissi” Jessica Vaitiare CHIN FOO, acrylic painting, through Oct. 31. Stay for dinner and get a coupon. Hours: Dinner, Everyday, 5:30-9 p.m.; Lunch, Monday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 4-9 p.m., Desigual, fashion, through Oct. 30. Reception will feature music by the Sound of Fashion DJ and informal fashion shows. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F (upstairs in the back), email@example.com; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Beauty, Hidden In Plain View,” Stephan Telm, photography & stone jewelry, through Oct. 31, viewing by appointment. Food, wine, art, jewelry, and good conversation with The Work Shop members. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 2-7 p.m., Mamadu, dogs best friend mobile grooming, mixed media. Bring your animal for a bath and stay for the refreshments! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other events during ArtAbout:
* Davis Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.; 6-8 p.m., “Odd Poetry” will show again in the tree shade in front of the Odd Fellows Hall. Listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving. And since there will be an open mic, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share your favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
* Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre, around downtown. Be on the lookout for the Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre and Third Stage Dance Company during the ArtAbout! Initially funded by a city of Davis arts contract and Trokanski, the companies had so much fun they are continuing the Dance In Public Places program on their own. For more, visit www.trokanski.com.