A series of programs by Congregation Bet Haverim over the next nine months will cover political, cultural, historical, geographical and celebratory aspects of Israel. Sponsored by the congregation’s Israel Matters Committee, the programs will be held in the Social Hall at CBH, 1715 Anderson Road in Davis.
The topics include current events in the Middle East, the Jews of India, Christian support for Israel, West Bank communities, the status of Jerusalem, archeology, the Holocaust, and the CBH annual Israel Independence Day picnic.
Coming up are:
* “The Middle East in Turmoil: What’s Next?” Sunday, Nov. 3, 3-4:30 p.m. This overview of the aftermath of the “Arab Spring” will feature John Rothmann, Bay Area radio personality and author.
* “The Jews of India: The Bene Israel, Baghdadi and Cochin Communities,” Sunday, Nov. 10, 3-4:30 p.m. Presented by Yael and Mitch Numark.
* “Shalom from Israel, with George Rooks,” Sunday, Jan. 12, 3-4:30 p.m. A view of Israel from one end to the other with photographs.
* “The Jewish Communities of Judea and Samaria: Dispelling Misconceptions about the ‘Settlements’ in the West Bank,” January, to be arranged.
* “Christians United for Israel,” Sunday, Feb. 16, 3-4:30 p.m. Randy Neal is the presenter.
* “Workshop on Jerusalem, Israel’s Eternal Capital,” February, to be arranged.
* “Secrets of Sodom: An Archaeological Exploration,” Sunday, March 23, 3-4:30 p.m. Noreen Jacks is the presenter.
* “Remembering the Holocaust,” Sunday, April 20, 3-4:30 p.m. Alex Groth is the presenter.
* “Israel Independence Day Celebration and Picnic,” Sunday, May 11, noon.
* “Update on Israel,”presented by Consul General Andy David in May, on a date to be arranged.
In addition, the Israel Matters Committee is sponsoring a yearlong local fundraising effort to help build a bomb shelter for the men, women and children of southern Israel.
For information, contact George Rooks at firstname.lastname@example.org or Al Sokolow at 530-758-3246.