Crime, Fire + Courts

A/C malfunction sparks downtown theater evacuation

By From page A2 | April 11, 2013

A downtown movie theater was evacuated Wednesday evening when a faulty air-conditioning unit sent smoke into one of the screening rooms, according to the Davis Fire Department.
Davis and UC Davis fire crews responded at about 5:50 p.m. to the Regal Davis Holiday 6 theater at 101 F St., where the problem was traced to an air-conditioning unit whose motor had overheated, Division Chief Paul Swanson said.
“That caused smoke to fill one of the auditoriums,” Swanson said. All six theaters were evacuated while crews isolated the cause of the smoke, shut off power to the cooling unit and determined that no fire had spread beyond the unit itself.
The theater reopened about an hour later, with film showings resuming in all screening rooms “except for the one with the smoke problem,” Swanson said. No injuries were reported.

Lauren Keene

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.