Crime, Fire + Courts

Chemical-soaked rags spark West Davis fire

By From page A4 | July 15, 2014

Davis Fire Department officials say chemical-soaked rags were the cause of a fire Friday that damaged a wood deck and other property at a West Davis home.

Division Chief Bruce Fry said the first-alarm fire was reported shortly after noon when a neighbor spotted flames in the back yard of a home in the 2200 block of Muir Woods Place. By the time it was extinguished, the blaze caused an estimated $4,000 in damage to the deck, nearby stucco and a blower. No injuries were reported.

An investigation revealed that rags that had been used to stain the deck accidentally combusted and started the fire, Fry said. It was the second stain-related fire the department had responded to in two days, he added.

Fry said chemical-laden materials should be stored in metal containers approved for such use, or away from anything that can ignite and burn, spread out and secured so they cannot blow away.

Lauren Keene

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.