YOLO COUNTY NEWS
David Manuel Cervantes is arrested by Davis police after his surrender following a 4-hour standoff at his Adrian Drive residence Monday evening. Wayne Tilcock/Enterprise photo

Crime, Fire + Courts

East Davis standoff ends in peaceful surrender

By From page A1 | May 08, 2012

A Davis man wanted on weapons charges held police at bay for more than five hours Monday before surrendering peacefully to negotiators.

The standoff on Adrian Drive resulted in the evacuations of several homes on that street, as well as the closure of surrounding blocks as SWAT and crisis negotiations teams set up command posts in the normally quiet East Davis neighborhood.

It all began at about 1:40 p.m., when Davis police officers attempted to serve a restraining order on David Manuel Cervantes, a 26-year-old man believed to be staying at a green stucco home in the 2700 block of Adrian Drive.

“He’s not responding to commands, not surrendering, not coming to the door,” Lt. Paul Doroshov said at a police command post set up Monday near the standoff scene.

Cervantes also was wanted on a warrant for weapons charges, but it was unclear whether officers became aware of it before or after they attempted to serve the restraining order, Doroshov said.

It was the nature of the warrant that prompted police to respond as they did, calling in assistance from the Yolo County Sheriff’s Department’s crisis negotiators and the West Sacramento Police Department, which operates a joint SWAT team with Davis police.

“We believe that he’s in there by himself, so we’re not rushing this,” Doroshov said. Instead, officers spent the next few hours negotiating with Cervantes over the phone — with help from relatives who “got the conversation going.”

Cervantes surrendered without incident shortly before 7 p.m. He was lodged at the Yolo County Jail on the weapon-related warrant.

Doroshov said his agency will consider additional charges stemming from the standoff, but as of Monday night nothing had been decided.

“This is the ending we hoped for,” he said.

Elizabeth Lacey, who lives next door to the standoff scene, said she was shopping at the grocery store when she learned something was amiss on her street.

“My mom texted me and said, please call me and let me know that you’re OK,” Lacey said, moments after being able to return to her home Monday night.

She said Cervantes doesn’t live at the green stucco home, which normally is occupied by a woman and four young children. She hasn’t noticed any criminal activity at the house, but said she heard a couple arguing there a couple of weeks ago.

“It’s pretty upsetting,” Lacey said. “I’m concerned for the safety of the kids.”

Following Cervantes’ arrest, a man was seen exiting the Adrian Drive home, but he turned around and went back inside when he saw news reporters on the street. No one answered a knock at the door.

— Reach Lauren Keene at [email protected] or (530) 747-8048. Follow her on Twitter @laurenkeene

Lauren Keene

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.