Crime, Fire + Courts

Gas leak spurs evacuation in West Village

By From page A2 | May 23, 2012

About 30 UC Davis students were evacuated from their apartments Tuesday morning due to a natural gas leak in the West Village housing area, campus fire officials said.

The leak began at about 8:45 a.m. when a construction crew accidentally severed a two-inch natural gas line near Sage and Pistacia streets, UCD Fire Chief Nathan Trauernicht said.

As a precaution, emergency personnel cleared four student housing buildings surrounding the leak until the gas line could be repaired by PG&E, Trauernicht said.

No injuries or illnesses were reported, and fire officials lifted the evacuation order after the gas line was repaired at about 10:30 a.m. The nearby Sacramento City College Davis Center was not affected by the incident.

Lauren Keene

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.