The Davis Community Network announces its schedule of spring classes, ranging from what to do if your computer has been hacked or infected to a hands-on workshop on tools DCN offers for your organization. The free classes are offered in the technology lab building at the Davis school district office, 526 B St. To register, visit www.dcn.org and click on “Upcoming Classes.”
* Email List Management with Mailman, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday; Steve McMahon, instructor. A Mailman List is an effective way for an organization to communicate with any size group — boards of directors, project committees, members, supporters or other constituents.
* DCN Tools for Your Organization, 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, April 16; Jan Meizel and Anne Hance, instructors. Discover DCN’s free Web/Internet Tools for your organization. DCN can offer your nonprofit or community group a website template with a calendar and an email listserv.
* DCN Tools Workshop, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday, April 18; Steve McMahon and DCN web team, instructors. More than 100 local nonprofits use the free services and tools provided by Davis Community Network. If you are managing a website using these tools, or will be soon, this hands-on workshop will show you how. The tools include SimpleSites website templates, Mailman email list management and the DCN Community Calendar. DCN will have several volunteers on hand to answer your questions and show you new techniques.
* Video on Your Website, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday, April 25; Russ Hobby, instructor. You have shot some fine video footage on your camera, but how do you get it onto the web? Want to put your video on YouTube or your own website? This class will cover the steps and some of the options. Need to edit your video? This step will be discussed, too.
* You’ve Been Hacked or Infected; What to do Next, 6:30-8 p.m. on a date in May to be announced: If your accounts have been hacked or infected, how do you repair the damage? What do you do to minimize the possibility of a repeat intrusion? The program will feature a panel of people offering useful ideas and practical advice. Check http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/classes/classSchedules for updates.
* DCN Web Calendar, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday, May 9; Steve McMahon, instructor. This class offers instruction on use of DCN’s 2013 Web Calendar, a tool developed by DCN’s Web Team. It will introduce new calendar facilities, and will be of use to existing users as well as new. The Web Calendar can be installed on an organization’s website to help promote its events and activities and also can link to a master Community Calendar hosted on DCN’s site.