My mother taught me to answer my mail promptly. I always do as I am told.
Writes Mike in the Core Area: “Bob — Enclosed please find the flier for the Yes on I sponsored ‘forum’ on the water project at the Senior Center. The No on I side was not invited. I think it may be a violation of the California elections code that bars campaigning on city property.”
Mike — It’s not against state law to use public buildings for political causes as long as access to the public facilities is equal for everyone. In many towns, public facilities may be the only ones large enough to accommodate a political forum, rally or discussion. The Yes on Measure I folks have rented the Senior Center and can run any kind of “forum” they wish. They are under no obligation to invite those with an opposing point of view. The No on I organization can pay the same fee and rent the Senior Center as well.
Writes John at gmail.com: “Bob — I like your comments about the Kings-Maloofs. I used to go to their games, but now I could care less. The Maloofs are amateurs and have traded away one popular player after another, gotten rid of a great coach (Adelman) and jacked up the prices. Nah, I ain’t going there.”
John — Rick Adelman could coach with the best of them. We’d have a championship or two if he were still here, even with the Maloofs in charge. The Kings have had exactly eight winning seasons during their time in Sacramento, all of them under Adelman, who never had a losing season with the Kings. Prior to Adelman, the Kings had 13 straight losing seasons in Sacramento, including a miserable 27-55 the year before Adelman arrived. They then had eight straight winning seasons under Adelman, including a scintillating 61-21 mark in 2002. After Adelman was let go in 2006, the Kings went merrily back to their losing ways and haven’t had a winning season since.
Writes Ben in West Davis: “Bob — Do you believe the Yes on I poll that says only 11 percent of Davisites oppose the surface water project?”
Ben – No.
Writes Stephen in El Macero: “Bob — What happens if 10 percent of those affected by tripling of water rates move to Winters, Esparto and West Sac? Obviously, lower revenues, which will raise the rates on the other 90 percent, which will accelerate the exodus.”
Stephen — If 10 percent of Davisites move to Winters, we’ll no longer be able to use the official city motto: “Davis, More Nuts Than Winters.”
Writes Renee at pacbell.net: “Bob — I know you have the ‘who throws out the first Christmas tree’ award, but what about the ‘who hangs on the longest’ award? I still have all my decorations up, including house lights, Christmas trees and all the trimmings. It’s the happiest time of year, so why cut it short, especially during these cold, wintry days? I’m hanging on until the next big celebration, Valentine’s Day. Anybody game to beat that?”
Renee — I’m sure your overt display of Christmas cheer violates at least a dozen city ordinances. I predict you will be busted big time before Valentine’s Day.
Writes Debbie at gmail.com: “Bob — I don’t understand the interplay of being a property owner and/or a voter. I am a property owner, but do not vote in Davis. So does that mean I get the chance to send a written objection to rate increases but won’t be allowed to vote on it? Will I get that Prop. 218 letter you mention because I am on the property tax rolls?”
Debbie — If you’re a Davis property owner, it doesn’t matter if you vote in Moscow, Russia or Moscow, Idaho, you will receive a Prop. 218 notice. Whether you’re a slumlord or a responsible owner, you get to protest the water rates but your tenants don’t.
Writes Mike at yahoo.com: “Bob — Please look carefully at the picture I have attached. This $200,000-plus Rolls Royce continues to find its resting place at Owendale Community, one of the many ‘Section 8’ infill projects of Davis. What’s wrong with this picture?”
Mike — What’s wrong with this picture is that the Rolls Royce in question is mine. I have no idea how it ended up parked at Owendale. Upon receiving your email, I immediately notified the Davis PD and they towed it to my driveway, where it now sits. Case solved.
— Reach Bob Dunning at firstname.lastname@example.org