The Yolo Superior Court has extended the deadline for applications for the 2013-14 grand jury to March 29. Each July 1, the court impanels 19 grand jurors, who serve as an arm of the judicial system, but act as an entirely independent body.
The primary civil function of the grand jury is to review the operations of city and county government as well as other tax-supported agencies and special districts. Based on these reviews, the grand jury publishes its findings and may recommend constructive action to improve the quality and effectiveness of local government.
Another responsibility of the grand jury is to consider criminal indictments based on evidence presented. The grand jury also investigates complaints from private citizens, local government officials or government employees.
Eligibility requirements for grand jury service are:
* You must be a citizen of the United States;
* You must be 18 years of age or older;
* You have been a resident of Yolo County for at least one year before selection;
* You are in possession of your natural faculties, of ordinary intelligence, of sound judgment and fair character;
* You possess sufficient knowledge of the English language;
* You are not currently serving as a trial juror in any court of this state;
* You have not been discharged as a grand juror in any court of this state within one year;
* You have not been convicted of malfeasance in office or any felony or other high crime; and
* You are not serving as an elected public officer.
Grand jurors serve one year, from July 1 to June 30. The average time commitment is 25 to 40 hours per month.
Generally, the grand jury meets twice per month, usually in the evening. For each day’s attendance, grand jurors are reimbursed $15 per day and 55 cents per mile round-trip from their home to the meeting location. Additional committee meetings may take place during business hours.
Two training opportunities are offered soon after the new term begins. One is a half-day session in Woodland and the other is a two-day seminar, sponsored by the California Grand Jurors Association, which takes place in the Sacramento area.
Applications are due by March 29. For an application, visit www.yolo.courts.ca.gov, call 530-406-6828 or write to the Yolo Superior Court, Jury Services, 725 Court St., Room 303, Woodland, CA 95695.