This month’s ArtAbout celebration, on Friday evening, will become HeArtAbout, an art walk celebrating Valentine’s Day with special exhibitions planned to bring the theme to life.
Some are traditional, like ciocolat’s “Whimsical Hearts,” featuring the works of Mary Neri King; others are nontraditional, like Spa Central’s “Kim Stein Photography — Seasons in Paris” or The Artery’s “Camp Barbera,” featuring works by Thomas and Sara Post that feature the love of a particular location.
Be on the lookout for the Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre and guests doing a special Valentine’s dance on the E Street Plaza and around downtown. The dance in public places program, initially funded by Trokanski and a city of Davis arts contract, is being perpetuated by the company on its own because the dancers had so much fun. For more information, call 530-756-3949 or visit www.trokanski.com.
Treats also are planned: Armadillo Music is partnering with Sugar Daddies to serve ice cream and cupcakes to guests. Wine, chocolate, live music, a disc jockey and other special features are planned by several HeArtAbout hosts.
Davis Downtown’s Second Friday ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses. All receptions and viewings are free and open to the public; many include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists. For more information, visit DavisDowntown.com or email ArtAbout@DavisDowntown.com.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Art by: Katie Brownell,” prints and paintings, through Feb. 28. Sugar Daddies will be providing special Valentine’s Day treats of ice cream and cupcakes. Live music by The Young Vintage Band 6:30-7:30 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Camp Barbera,” Thomas and Sara Post, photographic collages (Tomas) and mixed-media paintings and prints (Sara), through March 5. Both artists invite you experience their piece of utopia as they fill the gallery with “love of place.” Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Best Western Palm Court, 234 D St., 530-231-5919; reception, 7-9:30 p.m., featuring art from local artists in their atrium, various media, ongoing. Wine pouring and morsels as well as live music by Easy Living featuring Diana Craig and Sergei Shkurkin, jazz and contemporary. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Bohème Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St.; reception 6-8 p.m., “strangers,” DHS senior Claire Evans, a collection of recent acrylic and embroidery over acrylic pieces, through Feb. 22. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
* ciocolat, 301 B St., 530-753-3088; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Whimsical Hearts,” Mary Neri King, acrylic and mixed media, through March 31. Hours: Sunday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-7 p.m., LaVille Logan, pastels and watercolor, through Feb. 28. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., Frankie Hansbearry, sculpted paintings, through March 31. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., rotating art show from Team Davis students, through Feb. 28. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Roots and Connections,” MariaVictoria Rojas, acrylic, silkscreen, and mixed-media works, through Feb. 28. Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Thursday and Friday, 7:30 a.m.-midnight; Saturday and Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., Darnell Horton, acrylic paintings and sculptures, through March 6. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Warp, Weft and Shuttle — Functional Weavings,” Verena Borton, weavings (blankets, shawls, scarves), through March 4. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., “Vitae et Historiae,” Helen DiCarlo, painted images of people, through March 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* Megan Wilkinson Photography, 132 E St., Suite 140 (Mansion Square), 530-219-4058; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Jake Klein Photography,” color, film and digital, no manipulation or enhancement, one night only (Feb. 8). Hours: by appointment.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10 p.m., “Bark!” Robert Arneson, Wayne Thiebaud, David Gilhooly, Robert Ransom, Arthur Gonzales, Esther Shimazu, Jeffrey Downing, Stephen Braun, Avery Palmer, Amber Aguirre, Rene Martucci and others, and featuring work by the renowned artist of dogs and their world, Roy de Forest, various media, through Feb. 24. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall, UC Davis, 530-752-8500; reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m., “Design + Build,” an open call exhibition for all to exhibit their original vision, ideas and designs for the new Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art, through March 17. A $500 prize will be awarded to the entry that best represents the future and history of art at UC Davis. Special Valentine’s Day themed treats. Check website (nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu) for general hours.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Sue McClurg, photography, through Feb. 28. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St., Suite A; reception, 6-8 p.m., Jose Luis Rodriguez, paintings, through March 31. Wine and food at the reception. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “By Hand: Extraordinary Fine Craft in California,” a juried exhibit of the best in contemporary art, including work in fiber, wood, ceramics and metal by California artists, as juried by the Oakland Museum’s Curator of Decorative Arts Julie M. Muniz, sponsored by the Creative Arts League of Sacramento, through April 5; and “Valentine’s Day Exhibit,” through Feb. 28. Live classical music by a Davis High School string quartet, 7-9 p.m., and chocolates. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Radiate Art Collective, 231 G St. (Court-N-Cedar), 530-304-5821, www.radiate-art.com; reception, 5:30-9 p.m., Bill and Amy Habicht, Jan Wolf and Thelma Weatherford, painting, drawing, photography and textiles. Wine during reception. Studio space still available. Hours: by appointment.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., William Kenefick, black-and-white photography, through Feb. 28. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Spa Central, 213 F St., 530-758-7400; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Kim Stein Photography — Seasons in Paris,” photography prints, through Feb. 28. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court-N-Cedar), email@example.com; reception, 6:30-9:30 p.m., “Sweets @ Studio 21,” Lauren Brandy, oil paintings (two shoes studio) + Valentines Ceramics (alluvial), and Thelma Weatherford, acrylic and mixed media. Studio 21 is a new collaboration between the artists. In an open studio setting, the space features landscapes and abstracts in oils and acrylic as well as small ceramics — expressions of each individual artist but complementing each other in the shared gallery. Come by and enjoy artwork, drink wine, nibble on sweets and see their creative studios in person. Hours: by appointment.
* UC Davis Craft Center, South Silo Building, UC Davis, 530-752-1475; reception, 6-7 p.m., “2.5 Dimensional,” Joanna Kidd, ceramic bas-relief sculpture, through Feb. 8. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 12:30-10 p.m.; Friday, 12:30-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 4-9 p.m., “Sara D Designs,” Sara Deshan Reinhart, fine jewelry, through March 1. Music by The Sound of Fashion. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 1-6 p.m., Jennifer Foss, dog and other animal paintings, and Mamadu, mixed media. Free refreshments. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other ArtAbout events
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; 8 p.m., the Davis Art Center’s fourth annual Classical Guitar Series starts off with a performance by D’Amore Duo. Founded in 1991 to investigate the little-known wealth of chamber music for oboe and guitar, D’Amore Duo — featuring guitarist William Feasley and oboist Yeon Jee Sohn — has released three critically acclaimed recordings and performed around the globe to enthusiastic reviews. Tickets are $15 general, $10 students/seniors, $5 kids 12 and under; www.brownpapertickets.com/event/320644. A limited number of tickets will be available at the door. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Whole Foods Market Davis, 500 First St., 530-750-2266; 5-7 p.m., live music and wine tasting. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.