Davis residents will have several opportunities to honor America’s servicemen and women on Veterans Day.
* At 11 a.m. Sunday at the Davis Cemetery, 820 Pole Line Road, the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6949 in Davis will host a Veterans Day ceremony in partnership with the Davis Cemetery District.
The honor actually begins much earlier, as veterans, Boy Scouts and community volunteers acknowledge fallen veterans by placing an American flag on each veteran’s gravesite at the Davis Cemetery.
The ceremony will feature keynote speaker Lois Wolk, a longtime Davis resident and former mayor who represents the 3rd District in the California Senate. A musical tribute to veterans and their families will be provided by the Davis High School Madrigal Choir, under the direction of Karen Gardias.
* Also at 11 a.m. Sunday, American Legion Post 77 will host a Veterans Day ceremony in front of the Yolo County Courthouse, 725 Court St. in Woodland. All are welcome.
* At 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Atria Covell Gardens, 1111 Alvarado Ave., will host a Veterans Day celebration open to the community. Karen Schmittendorf will give a short talk honoring veterans, which will be followed by a performance by Vallejo singers Suzanne and Paul Vallejos performing patriotic songs.
Refreshments will be served following the free program.
* From 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday, Yolo Military Families will host a Hugs from Home fundraising barbecue on the patio at The Davis Graduate, 805 Russell Blvd. Admission is $13 for adults and $7 for children under 12.
The event is sponsored by The Graduate and the Sunset Rotary Club of Davis to benefit the local military families group, which is raising money to send care packages to local military personnel who are deployed overseas. For more information, email [email protected].
* At 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, the U.S. Air Force Band of the Golden West from Travis Air Force Base will perform at the Davis Senior Center, 646 A St. The music will start after the Senior Citizens of Davis luncheon and is free to the public.
RSVP by 4 p.m. Friday to the Senior Center at 530-757-5696.
Monday is the observed holiday for Veterans Day, and schools, banks and the post office will be closed