Parents will register their children for kindergarten on Thursday, March 28, for all schools in the Davis Joint Unified School District, with the exception of Spanish Immersion at César Chávez Elementary. Children who will turn 5 years old on or before Oct. 1 are eligible for kindergarten. Kids who will reach their 5th birthday between Oct. 2 and Dec. 2 are eligible for transitional kindergarten.
Enrollment should be done at the child’s neighborhood school that day between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Parents should bring the following required documents:
* Legal verification of the child’s date of birth (certified birth certificate or passport);
* Immunization records;
* Proof of residence (PG&E bill or water bill and lease agreement or escrow papers in parent/guardian name); and
* Parent/guardian identification (e.g., California driver’s license, passport).
Immunizations against certain childhood diseases are legal registration requirements. The law allows parents to choose exemptions from immunization requirements based on their personal beliefs or medical exemptions indicated by the child’s physician. More information can be found at www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Pages/CaliforniaImmunizationSchoolLaw.aspx.
A physical examination within six months of the kindergarten start date is also required.
Registration for the district’s Spanish Immersion Program at Chávez will take place on two days. Students who have siblings already enrolled in SI and students who are native Spanish speakers will register from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, at the school office. All others who want to enroll will do so on March 28.
A newly approved two-way bilingual immersion program will be offered at Montgomery Elementary School. Registration for this program will take place March 28.
Birch Lane Elementary hosts a regular program and a Montessori program. Kindergarten registration for both will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 28. Montessori students entering first through sixth grades may register March 29.
Families that want to apply for Fairfield School, a two-room school west of Davis, should register at their neighborhood school and fill out a Fairfield application form. Students will be selected using a lottery system and then notified; all others will be placed on a waiting list.
Families that want to enroll in the Davis School for Independent Study home school program should visit the DSIS office at 526 B St. to complete an application.
Kindergarten information nights are being held for parents at each neighborhood elementary school as follows:
* Birch Lane Elementary: Montessori, Tuesday, 7 p.m., MPR; traditional, Thursday, March 21, 7 p.m., MPR;
* Chávez Elementary: Wednesday, March 20, 7 p.m., MPR;
* Davis School for Independent Study: Tuesday, March 26, 6 p.m., DSIS Library;
* Fairfield Elementary: Thursday, 7 p.m., kindergarten classroom;
* Korematsu Elementary: Wednesday, March 20, 6:30 p.m, MPR;
* Montgomery Elementary: traditional and bilingual immersion, Thursday, March 21, 4 and 7 p.m., Room B1;
* North Davis Elementary: Monday, March 25, 7 p.m., MPR;
* Patwin Elementary: Monday, 6 p.m., kindergarten classrooms;
* Pioneer Elementary: Thursday, March 21, 7 p.m., MPR; and
* Willett Elementary: Monday, March 25, 7 p.m., MPR.
For more information, call your neighborhood school.