The Davis Flower Arrangers are beginning their 2014-15 program with Courtney Kett, owner and designer for Dixon Florist of Dixon, demonstrating new arrangements and relating current news from her floral world at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, at International House, 10 College Park in Davis.
Flowers for the season will be Kett’s theme for flower creations.
On the first Wednesday of each month from September to May, the Davis Flower Arrangers will meet at I-House for programs that are both educational and fun. Several programs will include workshops where everybody tries their hand at flower decoration creation.
For example, the meeting on Oct. 15 (two weeks delayed from the usual pattern) will feature Tanya Slye from Half Moon Bay with a demonstration of wreath creation and a workshop at which each member will put together a wreath with succulents and other growing materials.
Meetings for September through April will be at I-House. The May program will include garden tours and end with a dessert potluck at Ray and Verena Borton’s home in Central Davis.
Membership in the Davis Flower Arrangers costs $40 per year; sign up at the meeting or mail a check to treasurer Barbara Miyano, 633 Buchanan St., Davis, CA 95616.
Monthly programs, which are subject to change, are:
* Sept. 3: Courtney Kett, “Flowers for the Season.”
* Oct. 15: Tanya Slye, “Make-and-Take Wreath.” A $5 materials fee will be charged.
* Nov. 5: Hannah Muller and Dru Rivers of Full Belly Farm will show how to arrange from the farm for the harvest season.
* Dec. 3: “Holiday Arrangements.” The first half-hour will be a demonstration by Susan Stewart, Helen Tashima and Tina Crutcher on holiday arrangements. Bring a container from home and some flowers to make your own arrangement. Greens and berries will be provided.
* Jan. 7: Patti Green, “Arrangements and Repurposing.” Green, a designer at Beyond the Garden Gate, will speak on green arrangements and repurposing — finding and reusing available materials in your home.
* Feb. 4: Lori Ann Asmus of Emerald City on “Tablescapes” geared toward Valentine’s Day.
* March 4: Michael Ritz, a floral designer from San Francisco, will speak. He plans large and small events, including weddings, and exhibits at Bouquets to Art.
* April 1: MJ Kelly, a Sacramento floral designer and member of the Davis Flower Arrangers, will demonstrate spring arrangements.
* May 6: Car-pool and tour two gardens, then finish at the Bortons’ garden for a dessert buffet.
For more information, contact the co-presidents: Linda Wilson at 530-405-3865 or Janet Collins at 530-756-3127.