There are 24 venues for this month’s Second Friday ArtAbout, an evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. All receptions and viewings are free and open to the public. Many showings include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists.
Special events, live music, performances and venue updates:
Davis Downtown welcomes Bohème Hip Used Clothing to its new location on Third Street, featuring the paintings and illustrations of Davis High School junior Gregory Shilling-Goins and the music of Crow Canyon. (Note: Paulina’s Boutique is still at its D Street location for now and will be open during ArtAbout with the mixed media art of Tatyana Bychkov.)
Visitors also will enjoy live music, a DJ or special events at Armadillo Music, Bohème Hip Used Clothing, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, Logos Books, Lyon Real Estate, John Natsoulas Gallery, Pence Gallery, Ray Johnston Photography Studio, The Wardrobe and the Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m., DK Osorio, ink on paper, through Jan. 6. Live music starting at 7 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; viewing, 10 a.m.-9 p.m., “Annual All Member Holiday Gift Show,” all different media, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* A Better Place to Bead, 132 E St., Suite 150 (Mansion Square), 530-759-8038; reception, 5-8 p.m., CK, oil painting, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Bohème Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St.; reception 6-8 p.m., Davis High School junior Gregory Shilling-Goins, paintings and illustrations, through Dec. 22. Crow Canyon (Riley Donahue, Nathan Puckett and Drew Thomsen) will play acoustic music. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30-5:30 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-6:30 p.m., “Nor Cal Blooms,” Cindy Lewis, photography, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., Doreen Irwin, paintings, through Jan. 31. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., “One Red Dot,” Peregrine Elementary School students from preschool to seventh grade present a developmental art show in various media, through Dec. 31. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., “Land & Sea Abstracts,” Dee Conway, oil on canvas, through Jan. 8. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* International House, Davis, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “In retrospect,” Winifred Madison, oil, through Feb. 6. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; reception, 5-8 p.m., “Whimsical Art World of Marguerite Schaffron,” varied art, through Dec. 31. Special happy holiday art sale with hot cider and candy canes. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* Lyon Real Estate, 401 Second St., 530-758-0720; reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Suzanne Bell, encaustic painting, through Jan. 1. A demonstration is planned during the reception, from 6:30-7 p.m. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10 p.m., Louis LaBrie, oil paintings, through Dec. 29. Live music. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Lloyd Johnson at nestware,” hand-colored linoleum relief prints and watercolors, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 am-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Nina’s Studio, 241 F St., 530-758-9221; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Emotions,” Lucinda Gabriela Aguilar, oil, through Feb. 28. Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Jan Solorzano, ceramics, one night only (Friday). Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 222 D St., Suite 9A; reception, 5-7:30 p.m., Tatyana Bychkov, mixed media, paint and straw, through Dec. 31. Holiday hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Holiday Market,” Cheryl Lobenberg, Lisa DeFehr, Nancy Shapiro and Lauren Brandy, along with many more; enjoy unique and affordable work for the holidays, including ceramics, textiles, home décor, jewelry and seasonal, through Dec. 23; “Our Stories: Judith Lowry’s Artistic Reflections of Native California,” mixed media art, through Jan. 27; and “Teapots,” through Dec. 30. Music by the Maidu Independent Theater, 7-7:45 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), 530-756-0499; reception, 6-10 p.m., “Simple Gifts,” Lisa Langell, nature and wildlife photography, “Around Town,” Ben Tuason, photography, one night only (Friday). DJ Lounge Beat, refreshments. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Re/Max Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., Laville Logan, pastels & watercolor, through Dec. 28. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Spa Central, 213 F St., 530-758-7400; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Fall in Paris,” Kim Stein, photographs, through Dec. 31. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* UC Davis Store Downtown, 630 Second St., 530-297-4450; viewing with artist present, 5-8 p.m., Barry Hannah, hand turned wood bowls made from campus grown wood, ongoing. Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 7-9 p.m., “A Holiday Trunk Show featuring Sorrelli and Escape From Paris,” jewelry, one night only (Dec. 14). Live Celtic music from The Blackbird. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 1-6 p.m., “It’s David Tsai,” Brandon Ivey and Mamadu, mixed media. Santa will be there to take photos 1-4 p.m. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other events during ArtAbout:
* Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 Second St.; 6-7:30 p.m., Odd Poetry, somewhere inside or immediately outside the Odd Fellows Hall, you will find the Odd Poets. Stop by for a few minutes or for the full 90 minutes to listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving.
And since this is an open-mic event, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share your own favorite poems (original and otherwise).