A new exhibit at the Hattie Weber Museum of Davis is titled “Survivors: 19th Century Homes in Davis.” Part one of the exhibit features 12 structures built as homes in the Davis area between 1850 and 1900. Information on another nine buildings will be added at a later date.
The buildings reflect Victorian-era styles such as Italianate, Queen Anne, Stick, Eastlake and the less elegant “vernacular.” The homes are between Second and Fifth streets and B to K streets, as well as on Russell Boulevard and Los Robles Street.
Information on the construction dates and styles came from 1933 city of Davis property assessment documents discovered by John Lofland in the basement of City Hall and the 1966 Cultural Resources Inventory commissioned by the city of Davis. Contemporary photographs, many taken by museum director Dennis Dingemans, show two-story mansions with elaborate decorations, one-room cottages and utilitarian farmhouses of the period.
Other exhibits at the museum include a giant birthday card for Old North Davis (1913 to 2013); a celebration of the construction of the Lincoln Highway, which began in 1913 and passed through Davis in the 1920s; Native Americans in the area until the 1840s; the coming of the California Pacific Railroad in 1868; the first town plat for Davisville; and the development of the UC Berkeley farm school into the University of California at Davis.
The museum is at 445 C St. in the northeast corner of Central Park. It is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 6 p.m. Wednesdays. Admission is free, and well-behaved children are welcome. Docents are available to explain exhibits, answer questions and inform visitors about the museum’s campaign to save a 1937 Works Progress Administration building in the park.