Two new venues join Davis Downtown’s monthly Second Friday ArtAbout this month — Whole Foods Market and the UC Davis Craft Center.
The Craft Center has its first viewing this month of Joanna Kidd’s ceramic bas-relief sculpture with a closing reception next month during ArtAbout. Whole Foods Market will have live music and beer-tasting.
ArtAbout participants also may enjoy live music, a DJ or special events at Armadillo Music, Cobalt Salon & Gallery, Davis Art Center, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, Davis Odd Fellows Hall, Logos Books, Pence Gallery and the Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Davis Downtown’s Second Friday ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. All receptions and viewings are free and open to the public. Many showings include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m., brand-new art, through Jan. 31. Live music starting at 7 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Birds of America: The Photographs,” Deborah Lamoreux, through Feb. 5. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-7 p.m., LaVille Logan, pastels and watercolor, through Feb. 28. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Cobalt Salon & Gallery, 132 E St., Suite 350 (Mansion Square), 916-806-3141; reception, 6 p.m. until the crowd thins, Emily Allen, oil on canvas, and Ryan Cicak, acrylic on wood panel, through Feb. 28. Chocolates and champagne at reception with a solo cellist performing. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. for the gallery, and other times by appointment.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., Doreen Irwin, paintings, through Jan. 31. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Satuarate Yolo, Phone Art,” Dave Webb, iPhone images, through Feb. 2. The music will be on an iPod, and — because photographs are representations of something else — all the music featured at the reception will be cover songs. Not one piece of music will be performed by the person who wrote it! For more information, visit the artist’s website, www.davewebbcreative.com. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., Rotating art show from Team Davis students, through Jan. 31. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., 530-204-5444; reception, 5:30-8:30 p.m., “The Watergarden: Abstract Landscapes by Mariko Hibbett,” acrylic on canvas, through Feb. 25. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., “Art Quilts and Watercolor/ink drawings by Lynn Cohen,” through Feb. 7. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; reception, 6:30-9 p.m., “Vitae et Historiae,” Helen DiCarlo, painted images of people, through March 31. David Campos and his quartet Zapato Viejo will be playing from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Also planned is an art book sale on Friday. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10 p.m., James Chaffee, oil paintings, through Feb. 2. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; viewing, 6-9 p.m., “Lloyd Johnson at nestware,” hand-colored linoleum relief prints and watercolors, through Jan. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 am-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Lacie Carlisle, stained glass mosaic, through Jan. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 222 D St., Suite 9A; reception, 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Tatyana Bychkov, mixed media, paint and straw, through Jan. 15. Holiday Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30-7 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Our Stories: Judith Lowry’s Artistic Reflections of Native California,” mixed media art, through Jan. 27; “Art Nouveau Postcards,” through Feb. 1; and “Alice Muhlback: Wonderland is a Trip,” through Jan. 27. Live classical music by the Davis High School string quartet from 7 to 9 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., Matt Connors, watercolor, through Feb. 1. Hosted with drinks and appetizers. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Spa Central, 213 F St., 530-758-7400; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Architecture: Ancient to Contemporary,” Mark Castellucci, photography, through Jan. 31. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* UC Davis Craft Center, South Silo Building on the UCD campus, 530-752-1475; viewing, 12:30-7 p.m., “2.5 Dimensional,” Joanna Kidd, ceramic bas-relief sculpture, through Feb. 8. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 12:30-10 p.m.; Friday, 12:30-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Mamadu, mixed media. Free refreshments and employee art! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other events during ArtAbout:
* Davis Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.; 6-7:30p.m., Odd Poetry, somewhere inside or immediately outside the Odd Fellows Halle, you will find the Odd Poets. Stop by for a few minutes or for the full 90 minutes to listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving.
And since this is an open-mic event, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share with us your own favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
* Whole Foods Market Davis, 500 First St., 530-750-2266; 5-7 p.m., live music and beer-tasting. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.