This month’s Second Friday ArtAbout features the debut of Open Door Art Studios in Court ‘N’ Cedar, 231 G St., a grassroots project that gives local artists a place to create and share their work, and The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F, a drop-in work space for anyone who needs to work on various professional projects.
Participants also will enjoy live music or disc jockeys at Armadillo Music, Delta of Venus, French Cuff Consignment, Pence Gallery, Ray Johnston Photography Studio, Rominger West Winery, The Wardrobe and Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Coordinated by the Davis Downtown Business Association, the monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in downtown Davis and beyond is free and open to the public.
Many include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to talk with featured artists. For more information, visit www.davisdowntown.com.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., (530) 758-8058; reception, 7-9 p.m. “Sketches & Watercolors by Mary Wilbur,” pencil, pen & ink, watercolor, through May 10. Live music by Camila Ortiz starting at 6 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., (530) 758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m. “10 x 10, We’re Doing It Again,” an invitational exhibit of small works, artist friends of The Artery, various mediums, through April 17. Hours: Monday -Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Avid Reader, 617 Second St., (530) 758-4040; reception, 5-7 p.m. Josiah Andrew, painting, through May 9. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
* ciocolat, 301 B St., (530) 753-3088; reception, 6-8 p.m. “Endangered,” several artists’ works from the Feminist Film Festival, various media, through May 6. Hours: Sunday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.–9 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, (530) 753-2164; reception, 6-9 p.m. “Local Davis Photography,” Juan Romero, photographs, through May 31. Barbecue dinner. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., (530) 750-2400; reception 6-9 p.m. “OffStreet Photographs,” Ben Tuason, photography, through April 30. Artist will give away small photo samples. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., (530) 758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m. Rotating art show from “Team Davis” students, group show, through April 30, kids welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., (530) 753-8639; reception, 6:30-8:30 p.m. “Seeing Song: The Alchemical Metamorphs,” Josiah Andrew, alchemized music/giclee prints, through April 30. Music provided by Delta of Venus resident DJ, Mr. Glass. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
* Edward Jones Investments, 4627 Fermi Place, Suite 130, (530) 747-2002; reception, 4:30-7:30 p.m., David Davies, photography, one night only (April 13). Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
* First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., (530) 204-5444; reception, 5-9 p.m. Steve Pro, mixed media with wood, metal, wire, and paint, through April 30. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9-5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., (530) 756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m. “The Red Dress and More,” Patris, oil paintings, through May 7. Music by DJ Rock Bottom at reception. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., (530) 400-1083; reception, 6:30-9 p.m. Linda Galusha, paintings, through June 30. Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* Lyon Real Estate, 401 Second St., (530) 758-0720; reception, 5:30-8:30 p.m. “Nature Through My Lens by Ray Borton,” Ray Borton, photography, through April 29. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., (530) 756-3938; reception, 7-9 p.m. “3rd Annual Art of Painting in the 21st Century Conference 2012,” group show including Louis LaBrie, Guy Diehl, Bill Maul, Enrique Chagoya, and many others, various mediums, through April 21. Hours: Wednesday -Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall UC Davis, (530) 752-8500; reception, 5-7 p.m. “Dreams of the Darkest Night,” Vanessa Marsh & Sean McFarland, photography; “Bruce Guttin: Headwear Improvisations by a Sculptor,” mixed media, through May 27. “Hour with the Director,” an informal talking tour starting at 5 p.m. Check website (www.nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu) for general hours.
* Open Door Art Studios, 231 G St. (Court ‘N’ Cedar); open house 5-8 p.m. “Open Door Art Studios Open House Tour and Informational Evening.” Applications and information on jury process will be available.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., (530) 753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m. Michael Gabriel, original oils, through April 27. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., (530) 758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m. “Seeing Sound,” group show, painting, sculpture, video, installation, through Sunday, artist talk from 6-7 p.m.; “Four Feet and Feathers,” group exhibit featuring ceramics, photography, and paintings on the subject of animals and insects, through April 29. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m-5 p.m.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), (530) 756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m. “Thirteen Views on the Thirteenth,” David Nasater, photography, one night only (April 13), DJ Lounge Beat at reception. Hours: Tuesday- Saturday 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Rominger West Winery, 4602 Second St., Suite 4, (530) 747-2044; reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Barry Focha, paintings, through April 30. Davis Shakespeare Ensemble will performing “Relapse” from 8 to 9 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, noon-6 p.m.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., (530) 756-1128; reception, 4-9 p.m. “Owen Glass Collection,” Emeline Owen, jewelry, through April 30. Reception will feature music by “The Sound of Fashion.” Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F (upstairs in the back); open house 4:30-6:30 p.m. Wine, beer and some light snacks. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., (530) 758-0544; reception, 1-7 p.m. Mamadu, dog’s best friend mobile grooming, mixed media, one night only. Live music at reception. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.