Thursday, August 21, 2014
YOLO COUNTY NEWS
99 CENTS

New museum exhibit features Davis’ worship history

The first Presbyterian Church in Davisville was authorized in 1869 and completed in 1870. In 1915, it was moved to the corner of Fourth and C, remodeled as a boarding house for students and later housed a fraternity. It was recently demolished and is now being rebuilt. Courtesy photo

By
From page A1 | April 12, 2013 |

The rich and evolving history of Davis’ worship communities is chronicled in a new exhibit that opens Saturday at the Hattie Weber Museum of Davis. Merrily Dupree curated the exhibit, which showcases the growth of churches and other religious communities from just after the founding of Davisville to the present day.

Today, Davis offers opportunities to worship in more than 40 groups, including six different Buddhist organizations, a Coven in Draiogsffau tradition, an Islamic Center, a synagogue, a Davis Baha’i group and dozens of Christian denominations. It was not always so. Until the 1940s there were only two or three churches in town.

The Davis Presbyterian Church was authorized in 1869 and completed in 1870. In 1914 it was replaced by a larger structure on the corner of what is now Fourth and F streets. The original structure was moved in 1915 to the corner of Fourth and C, remodeled as a boarding house for students and later housed a fraternity. It was recently demolished and is now being rebuilt.

After a fire destroyed the second structure in 1914, a new Spanish-style church was built across Fourth Street from the remodeled original structure.

The Presbyterian Church was the only church in Davisville until 1874 when the Methodist Episcopal South congregation was formed. In 1875, a church was built at what is now the corner of Third and E streets. Later, the congregation merged with the Presbyterians. The old church building did not survive but its bell still hangs in the Newman Chapel at Fifth and C streets.

Also in 1875, St. James Catholic Church was built on the northeast corner of Third and I streets. A new brick building (now the Newman Chapel) was built in 1931 and dedicated in 1933. About this time, the original wooden church burned. In 1976, a new St. James complex was built at 14th and B streets.

For the 50 years between 1875 and 1925, the Presbyterian and Catholic churches were the only church buildings in town.
It was not until 1925 that construction began on The First Church of Christ Scientist at the southeast corner of Sixth and D streets.

These three churches served the community exclusively until 1946 when a broader representation of denominations began.

The exhibit shows additions to facilities and worship groups in the decades that followed the end of World War II and the population explosions of Davis and the university.

Additional exhibits at the museum feature the Lincoln Highway, items found in the well of the old Dresbach Mansion, penny postcards from 1900 to 1913 as well as exhibits on the history of UC Davis, the development of the Davis and Yolo County Branch Library and librarian Hattie Weber herself.

The museum is located at 445 C St. in the northeast corner of Central Park. It is open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free but donations are accepted with gratitude.

Comments

comments

Enterprise staff

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • .

    News

    Here’s a guide to Fifth Street etiquette

    By Dave Ryan | From Page: A1

     
    Marsh trial still scheduled to begin Monday

    By Anne Ternus-Bellamy | From Page: A1

     
    The show must go on: DMTC celebrates 30 years

    By Bev Sykes | From Page: A1 | Gallery

    Puppy love: dating sites match up animal lovers

    By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

     
    Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders

    By The Associated Press | From Page: A2

    Aid workers with Ebola out of hospital

    By The Associated Press | From Page: A2

     
    Actors, crew needed for touring eco-play

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A2

    Onramp crash injures two

    By Lauren Keene | From Page: A2

     
    Yolo Federal to hold photo contest

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

     
    Free electronic waste recycling service offered

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A3

     
    NAMI support group meets Sunday

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A3

     
    Katehi will speak at Chamber’s community luncheon

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

    Village Feast offers a taste of Yolo County with a hint of Europe

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A3 | Gallery

     
    Sign up soon for Sac City’s fall classes

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

     
    Animal Services issues warning about rabid bats

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

    Museum sets brick dedication date

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

     
    Peregrine School is open for tours, registration

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

    Fish-friendly river water intake takes shape

    By Dave Ryan | From Page: A4 | Gallery

     
    Qigong class starts in September


    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

    Meet K9 officer Dexter at Davis Senior Center

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

     
    Grandmothers support group meets weekly

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4, 1 Comment

    Join the fun at the DMTC Gala on Saturday

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A5

     
    Poets will read their original work on Thursday

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A8

    .

    Forum

    Great game kids, pass the beer

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: B5

     
    Where are the Water Police?

    By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

    Frank Bruni: The trouble with tenure

    By New York Times News Service | From Page: A6

     
    Tom Meyer cartoon

    By Debbie Davis | From Page: A6

    Will you help serve Davis’ senior citizens?

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A6

     
    Many thanks to Brooks Painting

    By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

    I really miss cal.net, too

    By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

     
    .

    Sports

    River Cats clip Redbirds

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: B1

     
    Giants cruise past Cubs in Chicago

    By The Associated Press | From Page: B1 | Gallery

    Aggie coaches nearer starting lineups for Stanford opener

    By Bruce Gallaudet | From Page: B1 | Gallery

     
    A’s lose to split series with Mets

    By The Associated Press | From Page: B1 | Gallery

    Scoring machine propels Republic to another win

    By Evan Ream | From Page: B1 | Gallery

     
    49ers’ Dawson still learning to kick in new stadium

    By The Associated Press | From Page: B8

    .

    Features

    .

    Arts

    ‘La Cage aux Folles’: a refreshing take on a classic

    By Bev Sykes | From Page: A7 | Gallery

     
    Wineaux: A sparkling prescription for a new disease

    By Susan Leonardi | From Page: A7

    Free classical concerts set at Covell Gardens

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A7

     
    .

    Business

    .

    Obituaries

    Dora Mae Clark Anderson

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A4

     
    .

    Comics

    Comics: Thursday, August 21, 2014

    By Creator | From Page: B6