*The Davis Recycling Program turns 40 this year! Thank you for participating in 40 years of curbside recycling here in Davis.
To celebrate, this month we are offering a series of workshops on recycling, waste reduction, composting and more.. To show our gratitude for all your efforts of recycling and reducing waste, we will be offering prizes to guests who RSVP and attend the following workshops:
* Tuesday, July 15, 6 p.m., “Reduce Your Waste Size”: Let’s help the city lose a few tons — of garbage! Simple things that we do, like bringing our own bags when we shop, make a big difference. This workshop will go over all the little things that you can do to make a big difference in how much waste we produce.
To help get you started, class attendees can enter to win waste-free shopping kits.
* Thursday, July 17, 6 p.m., “Recycling in Davis”: In this workshop we will get back to the basics of what is accepted for recycling in Davis. We will cover paper, metals, glass and plastics and more. We will follow where the recycling goes, how it’s separated, and we will end with some tips on how to make recycling simpler at home or work.
Class attendees can enter to win recycling bins.
* Tuesday, July 22, 6 p.m.: “Composting”: Learn the basics about creating your own active compost pile. This workshop also will place a great emphasis on simple ways of composting food scraps. Class attendees can enter to win kitchen food scrap collection pails and worm castings.
* Thursday, July 24, 6 p.m., “Reducing Toxics in our Environment”: Believe it or not, our homes contain a surprising number of materials and products that are considered toxic. Learn how to identify, properly dispose of and reduce the toxic substances that we come into contact with on a daily basis. Class attendees can enter to win toxic-free cleaning kits and worm castings.
All classes will be held at the Veterans’ Memorial Center Game Room, 203 E. 14th St. Hope to see you there! Be sure to RSVP in advance to increase your chances of winning a prize. Guests can RSVP on Facebook.com/DavisRecycling.org, email PWWeb@CityofDavis.org or call me at 530-757-5688.
Do you love garage sales? How about an opportunity to participate in a citywide free garage sale while helping our community reduce waste? If that sounds interesting to you, you can volunteer for the Apartment Move-Out Waste Reduction Program.
Once again, the city of Davis Recycling Program is teaming up with apartment managers all over Davis to promote reuse and to reduce the amount of waste during the August apartment turnover. At the end of August the recycling program will be setting up donation stations at participating apartment properties, and residents of those properties can donate items that they no longer need.
We work with local nonprofit groups and on-site apartment residents to reuse the items donated. As a program volunteer, you get to take donated items for reuse as well.
We are looking for volunteers to fill two-hour time blocks to help keep donation stations organized from Aug. 28 to Sept. 1. Please attend one of these volunteer meetings:
* Monday, July 28, 10 a.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Center Game Room, 203 E. 14th St.;
* Tuesday, July 29, 6 p.m. at the VMC Game Room; or
* Thursday, July 31, 6 p.m. at the VMC Game Room.
If you are interested, contact the city of Davis Recycling Program at 530-757-5686 or at PWWeb@CityofDavis.org to sign up for your training.
For more information, visit DavisRecycling.org or email me at PWweb@CityofDavis.org.
— Jennifer Gilbert is the city of Davis’ conservation coordinator. Her column is published monthly. Reach her at PWweb@cityofdavis.org