In collaboration with Discovery Museum — Science and Space Center of Sacramento, Explorit is offering a special summer field trip to Discovery’s Challenger Center for a space mission simulation. On Aug. 6, kids entering fifth, sixth and seventh grade may have their own extraterrestrial adventure as they take control of the Challenger space shuttle.
Have you ever wanted to explore space? Do your children dream of being astronauts? Are you looking for an inspirational, interactive field trip for your student? The Challenger Learning Center brings space travel to life right here on Earth.
The Challenger Learning Center is an interactive space mission simulator consisting of a realistic Mission Control and Spacecraft. All three mission scenarios simulate an entire NASA exploration mission from launch to successfully achieving the mission objective.
Your adventure begins when you “launch into space” to search for Comet Halley, embark on a journey to Mars or prepare for a return trip to the Moon. All participants spend half of the mission time in Mission Control and half in the spacecraft.
Aboard the spacecraft you will conduct science experiments, operate robotic arms, build a probe or navigate toward your destinations. In Mission Control you will record critical science information, monitor the mission status on computers and communicate with the astronauts.
You must be prepared to handle unexpected emergencies during the mission; its success is in your hands!
Astronauts on board the craft and engineers back at Mission Control must communicate back and forth and work together to complete experiments, solve problems and fulfill the mission. It’s an adventure like no other!
The Challenger Learning Center at the Discovery Museum is one of more than 50 other centers around the country dedicated to carrying out the vision of the original Challenger crew, who died on Jan. 28, 1986. Their mission to inspire students with the wonder of space travel to pursue education and careers in science, technology, engineering and math lives on through the interactive Challenger simulation.
Tickets for Explorit’s field trip to Discovery’s Challenger Center are available through Brown Paper Tickets. Visit www.explorit.org for more information and a link to purchase tickets. Explorit will not provide transportation to this event, so please plan to meet at 12:30 p.m. on Aug. 6 at the Discovery Museum parking lot. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Explorit’s coming events:
* Explorit’s Beautiful World: Science and Art exhibition is open to the public every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m. and every Friday, 3 to 6 p.m. Admission is $5 per person; Explorit members, teachers and children 2 and under are free.
* Interested in membership? Think your Explorit membership may have lapsed? Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 to check or sign up!
* Birthdays are back at Explorit! Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 for more information or to book your party.
* Spaces are still available in some sections of Summer Science Camp. Don’t miss out! Visit www.explorit.org for all the details or to register.
* Save the date: Sunday, Sept. 7! Our exciting “Final Blast Festival and Chemistry Show” will once again wow you and your kids! This event celebrates the end of our Summer Science Camp season and fun way to start the new school year!