The city of Davis Human Relations Commission is seeking nominations for this year’s Thong Hy Huynh Memorial Awards, which honor individuals and organizations who have made significant contributions in addressing or improving civil and human rights issues in the community.
The deadline for nominations has been extended to Thursday, April 18.
The award was established to acknowledge the racially motivated stabbing death on campus in May 1983 of Thong Hy Huynh, a 17-year-old student at Davis High School.
Nominations may be submitted in any of five categories:
* Lifetime Achievement Award for significant civil rights efforts over a long period of time while improving the quality of life in Davis. The recipient may be an individual or community organization.
* Young Humanitarian Award for an individual in grades K-16 (elementary through undergraduate or equivalent) for significant efforts in improving the quality of life in Davis. Nominees have directly addressed the needs of specific groups within the community in the areas of human or civil rights or education.
* Civil Rights Advocacy for an individual or organization for speaking on behalf of, and giving voice to, the disadvantaged and disempowered; promoting positive human relations, civil rights, cultural awareness or peaceful means of conflict resolution; or improving the quality of life for Davis residents through the areas of health, human services, housing or employment.
* Excellence in Community Involvement, awarded to a business or nonprofit organization that has a record of significant efforts in promoting and practicing equal opportunity.
* Public Servant of the Year for a local public servant who has displayed exceptional interpersonal skills under challenging circumstances. These efforts have resulted in effective conflict resolution or intervention and have promoted positive human relations in our multicultural and diverse community.
Recipients in 2012 were Cruz Reynoso, students Anna Sturla and Henry Anker, the Davis Food Co-op, Tim Taylor and Martha Beetley.
Award nomination forms are available online at www.cityofdavis.org; at Davis City Hall, 23 Russell Blvd.; or by calling 530-757-5602.