This month’s Second Friday ArtAbout has a little something extra to cluck about.
In honor of National Bike Month and Davis’ Tour de Cluck, this month’s theme is “Bicycles, Chickens and Agriculture.” In addition to the art and live music featured at the popular monthly event, May also includes a Tour de Cluck Tour d’Art scavenger hunt. Pick up a clue sheet at any ArtAbout reception to begin the journey. Bring a flock of friends to help because there will be prizes.
The ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. Receptions are free and open to the public; many include refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists, as well as live music and art demonstrations.
Five new venues join the lineup this month: The Avid Reader, Delta of Venus, Estate Jewelry and Gifts of Davis, First Street Real Estate and Haute Again Consignment. For more information, visit DavisDowntown.com or email [email protected].
Art receptions and viewings:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6:30-8:30 p.m., “9 Dimensions of Self,” Ashley Lentz, hand-drawn mandala designs inspired by rock music and folk art, ink on board, through May 31. Live music at 6:30 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; viewing, 7-9 p.m., “24th annual California Clay Competition Exhibit,” featuring 37 works from 33 artists chosen by juror Michelle Gregor, ceramics, through May 24. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Avid Reader, 617 Second St., 530-758-4040; reception, 5-7 p.m., “AnimalZ,” José Luis Rodríguez, light painting (long exposure photography and flash lights) and charcoal drawing, through July 11. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday noon-8 p.m.
* Best Western Palm Court, 234 D St., 530-753-7100; reception, 7-9 p.m., Kristen Hoard, recycled metal sculptures illuminated with fire and LED lighting, Irina Pererva, abstract art in acrylic, Michelle Goodenough, photography, Sotoodeh Yarmahomoudi, cartoon illustrations. Live music by Easy Living, complimentary beverages and hors d’oeuvres. Hours: 24.
* Bohéme Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St., 530-341-2004; reception, 6-8 p.m., Megan Robinson, 16, creative with a penchant for purple lipstick and vintage dresses, mixed media, through May 31. Live music starting at 6:30 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday-Monday, noon-3 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4:30-7 p.m., Judy Neal, acrylic and pastel, through June 30. Greeting cards and prints for sale. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., “Journeys in Another Dimension,” Paul Anderson, colored pencils and prints, through May 31. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Eight from ACGA,” Gerald Arrington, Alice Corning, Maria De Castro, Julia Feld, Susanne French, Patricia Griffin, Lee Middleman and John Schnick chosen by juror Lana Wilson, ceramics, through May 25. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; viewing, 7:30 a.m.-midnight, “Two for Tea: Two Artists Who Draw with Tea,” Slobodan Dan Paich and Craig Coss exhibit recent drawings, using tea as either media or subject, tea, ink, graphite, through May 28. Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Thursday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-midnight; Saturday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
* Estate Jewelry and Gifts of Davis, 227 E St., Suite 3, 530-753-8000; reception, 5-9 p.m., “Renewable Jewels,” Jami Mark, wearable art handcrafted from vintage jewelry from 1920s through 1980s, jewelry. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., 530-204-5444; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Mahabharata: The Great Indian Epic,” Binuta Sudhakaran, featured in the 2013 ArtAbout Calendar, a series of 48 small Indian paintings, oil, through June 30. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., Dawn Marie Black, Sumi-ink Chinese brush paintings and soft pastel, through June 10. Music from DJ Rock Bottom. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Haute Again Consignment, 129 E St., Suite B, 530-341-2172; reception, 6-8 p.m., Sotoodeh Yarmahomoudi, bike-themed cartoon illustrations, through May. Hours: Monday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* International House, Davis, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; viewing, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., “Looking around, Reaching,” Phillipe Gandiol, oil painting, “Then and Now,” Marilyn Judson, paper sculpture, through June 11. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; reception, 6-9 p.m., Jeffery Granett, plexiglass prints, through June 30. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Mishka’s Cafe, 610 Second St., 530-759-0811; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., new artists every month. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Monticello Seasonal Cuisine, 630 G St., 530-792-8066; reception, 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., “Chickens in the Garden,” Heather Vittum Fuller, lino cuts, through May 31. Artist present, refreshments available for purchase, live music by Bob Wren, mandolin and violin, world music, Klezmer, jazz, Django Reinhardt, folk and Baroque. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; Tuesday-Saturday, 5:30-10 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10 p.m., “26th annual: 30 Ceramic Sculptors,” various artists, ceramics, through May 25. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Emme Van Vorhis at nextware,” DHS sophomore, Emme Van Vorhis, watercolor and ink drawings, through May 31. Senders Wines will be pouring their new release of 2010 Carneros Pinot Noir. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 am-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Connie Ketchum, acrylic abstract, through May 17. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St. #A; reception, 6-8 p.m., Patris, oil, through May 31. Hours: Tuesday- Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Edge of Extinction,” Lisa Reinertson, large-scale ceramic work calls attention to the alarming status of endangered animals, ceramics, through June 14; “Home Is: Artists Reflect on the meaning of Place,” Suzanne Long, Barbara Prodaniuk, Hearne Pardee and Judith Monroe, mixed media work and ceramic sculpture, sponsored by Roger and Claudia Salquist, through June 2; and “UC Davis Ellen Hansen Memorial Exhibit,” juried exhibit, through May 26. A live radio-drama performance by Acme Theatre Company, 7-8:30 p.m., “The Big Guns: Or Whose Little Lily Is She?” Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Radiate Art Collective, 231 G St. (Court-N-Cedar), 530-304-5821, www.radiate-art.com; reception, 6-9 p.m., Bill and Amy Habicht, Schorré Oldham, Jan Wolf, Kyle Monhollen and Stacie Frerichs; photography, textiles, painting, jewelry and prints. Enjoy drinks and appetizers while visiting with the artists in four studios. Studio space still available.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), 530-756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Bicycle Town,” Ben Tuason Photography, one night only (May 10). DJ Trop’a from Marseille, France, refreshments and outdoor patio view of Davis from the 3rd Floor! Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., Darlene Riel, photography, Erin Jackson, ceramics, through May 31. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court-N-Cedar), [email protected]; reception, 5:30-9 p.m., Lauren Brandy, landscapes and still lifes in oil, and Thelma Weatherford, acrylic and mixed media abstract paintings, through May 1. Come by and enjoy artwork, drink wine, and nibble on sweets in this open studio setting. Hours: by appointment.
* Sudwerks Brewery Dock Store, 2001 Second St.; reception, 4-8 p.m., various artists, mixed media, one-night only. Live music and great beer on tap! Hours: Tuesday, 6-7:30 p.m.; Thursday-Saturday, 4-8 p.m.
* UC Davis Buehler Alumni and Visitors Center, south end of the UCD campus, 530-754-9195; viewing, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., “Bugs, Fish, and Crows,” Peter Shahrokh, animals depicted in a whimsical way, watercolor, through May 31. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., Suite A and F, 530-758-0544; reception, 1-7 p.m., Mamadu, mixed media. Come by for 40 percent off at both stores! Free refreshments and live music! Hours: Suite A, Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Suite F, Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other events during ArtAbout:
* Davis Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.; 6-7 p.m., “Odd Poetry.” Immediately outside the Odd Fellows Hall, you will find the Odd Poets. Stop by for a few minutes or for the full 90 minutes for spoken word, poetry, verse, humor and fun. Since this is an open-mic event, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share your own favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
* Whole Foods Market Davis, 500 First St., 530-750-2266; 5-7:30 p.m., live music by The Hucklebucks. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.