Davis Downtown welcomes first-time venue Avid Reader Active to the Second Friday ArtAbout. The bookstore at 605 Second St. will host a fundraiser for Da Vinci Charter Academy. There will be a mix of nature and urban photography along with paintings from watercolor to acrylic on display, with all works produced by Da Vinci student artists.
The ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. All receptions and viewings are free and open to the public. Many showings include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists.
Live music, a DJ and/or special events are planned at Akasha Yoga, Armadillo Music, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, Delta of Venus, First Street Real Estate, French Cuff Consignment, Lyon Real Estate, Monticello Cuisine, Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre, Pence Gallery and the Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Akasha Yoga, 140 F St., Suite 300, [email protected]; reception, 6-9 p.m., Heather Foat, acrylic and mixed media, one night only (Nov. 9). Refreshments and live music by Mango Jennings featuring Heather Foat, the artist. Hours: visit www.akashayogastudio.com for hours.
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Paintings by Dave,” Dave Reynolds, paintings, through Dec. 10. Live music starting at 7p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Threads Entwined,” Jan Schubert and Jill Scher, felting, woven and wax pieces, through Dec. 4. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Avid Reader, 617 Second St., 530-758-4040; reception, 5-7 p.m., “Dee Conway Photographs,” through Dec. 5. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, noon-8 p.m.
* Avid Reader Active, 605 Second St., 530-759-1599; reception, 6-8 p.m., Da Vinci Charter Academy student artists, mix of nature and urban photography along with paintings from watercolor to acrylic, one night only (Nov. 9). Prints will be available for sale and all profits will go to the DaVinci Senior Class. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, noon-8 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-6:30 p.m., “Nor Cal Blooms,” Cindy Lewis, photography, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 6 a.m.-11 p.m., Dolores Rodriguez, paintings and collage, through Nov. 30. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., Rotating art show from “Team Davis” students, through Nov. 30. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Capturing Study Abroad: Award Winning Photos from Aggies Around the World,” UC Davis Study Abroad Photo Contest winners and participants, photography, through Nov. 30. Live Brazilian music by Boca Beats. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
* First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., 530-204-5444; reception, 6-8 p.m., “StenWire on First Street,” Sten Hoiland, wire, through Dec. 23. Performance by Odd Man Out, and artist will create wire sculptures during the reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., “Femme Fatales,” Tracy Lewis, watercolor, oil paintings, mixed media, jewelry, through Dec. 9. Music by DJ Rock Bottom at reception. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., “Whimsical Art World of Marguerite Schaffron,” varied art, through Dec. 31; all works are available for purchase. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday
* Lyon Real Estate, 401 Second St., 530-758-0720; reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Suzanne Bell, encaustic painting, through Jan. 1. During the reception, Bell will demonstrate encaustic painting from 6:30 to 7 p.m. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Monticello Cuisine, 630 G St., 530-792-8066; reception, 6-9 p.m., “A Day At Fiddler’s Green Farm,” Stephan Telm and Danielle Collins, photography, end date TBD. Live music with Bob Wren performing on octave mandolin and violin from 5:30-8 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; Tuesday-Saturday 5:30-10 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-9 p.m., “20-Year Tribute to Robert Arneson, Dwarka Bonner and Bill Maul,” group show, various media, through Dec. 1. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Jean Sanchirico at nestware,” Northern California landscapes in pastels, through Nov. 30. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 am-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Showcase of Paint Chip employees’ artistic talents, oil paintings, block prints, craft projects, jewelry, and more, through Nov. 23. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique and Bohème Hip Used Clothing, 222 D St., Suite 9A; reception 4-7 p.m., Emma Luna, ceramic panties and more, through Nov. 30. New works will be added. Special holiday hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Malaquias Montoya: Women That I Have Encountered,” paintings, prints, and drawings, through Nov. 25; “Holiday Market,” Deborah Hill, Lisa DeFehr, Nancy Shapiro, Charlene Reinhart and Lauren Brandy, along with many more, enjoy unique and affordable work for the holidays, including ceramics, textiles, home décor, jewelry, and seasonal, through Dec. 23; “Tiny: Small Paintings by Select Artists,” through Nov. 28; and “Restore/Restory: Multi-media exhibit on Cache Creek,” one night only (Nov. 9). Live music by a Davis High School string quartet, 7-9 p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Parto Aram, oil, watercolor, and acrylic, through Nov. 30. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 2-7 p.m., Mamadu, dog’s best friend mobile grooming, mixed media. Bring your animal for a bath and stay for the refreshments! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Other events during ArtAbout:
* Davis Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.; 6-8 p.m., “Odd Poetry” will show again in front of the Odd Fellows Hall. Listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving. And since there will be an open mic, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share with us your favorite poems (original and otherwise).
* Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre, 2720 Del Rio Place, 530-756-3949; 8 p.m., The Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre and The Third Stage are presenting “Dukkha, Dark Matter and Riding on Trains,” a thoughtful and humorous look at impermanence, the unknown, and the people who share our journey — set to text by Trokanski, candid interviews and a wide range of contemporary music including pieces by John Mayer, Florence and the Machine, Natalie Merchant, and Gavin Rossdale. All seats are $12. For more information, visit www.trokanski.com.