The Davis school board met on Wednesday morning and approved several hires, as the district prepares for the first day of school on Aug. 28.
The board hired Scott Thomsen as the new vice principal for the junior high branch of Da Vinci Charter Academy, located at Emerson Junior High. Thomsen had been a social science teacher at Da Vinci’s junior high branch, and he has been teaching in the Davis school district since 2000. Thomsen fills a slot that opened up when Troy Reeves, who had been Da Vinci’s junior high vice principal, was promoted to Da Vinci principal earlier this summer.
The school board also promoted Jennifer Galas to the position of interim program specialist in the district’s special education program.
The school board also retained Deanne Quinn for another year as coordinator of the district’s AIM (Alternative Instructional Model) program (formerly known as the GATE program). Quinn retired several years ago, but has come back as the program’s coordinator on a series of one-year contracts on a part-time basis.
The school board also approved several variable services agreements with coaches of athletic teams, including:
* Marc Hicks, interim head coach, varsity football, Davis High, and
* Ty Brown, assistant coach, varsity football, Davis High.
There are several other open positions in the district that have yet to be filled, including:
* Director of Student Services, which opened up earlier this summer when longtime student services director Pam Mari decided to retire,
* Vice principal at Holmes Junior High, which opened up earlier this summer when longtime Holmes vice principal Kerin Kelleher moved over to Harper Junior High as vice principal, and
* Director of Student Nutrition Services, which opened up in midsummer when longtime director Rafaelita Curva took a job with a school district in the Bay Area.
The school board may consider a hiring recommendation for some of these open positions when the school board holds its next meeting on Aug. 1.