The Second Friday ArtAbout — a monthly self-guided art walk that features free receptions and viewings that are open to the public — continues to grow, adding new artists and venues.
This month, the Davis Food Co-op, Davis Makerspace, El Toro Bravo and the Hallmark Inn join the ArtAbout. The downtown Davis hotel, at 110 F St., also will host a celebration Friday of the new F Street improvements and its lobby expansion.
Davis Makerspace will feature a one-night-only showing of electronic and mixed-media work, music and a special drop-in 3D-printing demonstration. El Toro Bravo will feature a viewing of art by Cynthia Kroener from her travels in Mexico.
Also special to the September ArtAbout is the Pence Gallery’s Art Auction exhibit, showing more than 140 artists’ works open for silent bidding.
Friday’s activities feature art, live music, DJs, special receptions and wine-tastings at the 31 participating venues. For more information about Davis Downtown and ArtAbout, visit DavisDowntown.com, or email ArtAbout@DavisDowntown.com.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Art-is-Davis, 222 D St., 530-758-2312; reception, 6-9 p.m., “The Four Art-is-Davis Founding Artists,” Marieke de Waard, Seana Burke, Jan Walker, Joanne Andresen, acrylics, watercolor, oil, mixed media and printmaking, through Sept. 30. Live music by the Moon Garden Jazz Project from 7 to 9 p.m. between the Tea List and Art-is-Davis courtyard. Hours: Monday-Tuesday, noon-9 p.m.; Wednesday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “A Life Dedicated to Art,” a retrospect of artworks by Elizabeth Solomon, acrylic and oil, through Oct. 1. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Bohéme Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St., 530-341-2004; reception, 6-8 p.m., Live music by Spangler, gritty indie rock, folk funk, one night only (Sept. 13). Enjoy a reception with wine, cheese and salty snacks. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday-Monday, noon-3 p.m.
* The Centaur Group, 221 G St., 805-479-7211; reception, 5:30-8 p.m., Royal Nebeker, dynamic figurative and narrative paintings. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. by appointment.
* ciocolat, 301 B St., 530-753-3088; viewing, 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Connie Ketchum, photography, through Sept. 30. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Friday, Saturday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4:30-6 p.m., “It’s All About Color,” Connie Ketchum, acrylic, through October. Artist will be present. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., “Whimsies and Wonders,” Karen Fulk, oil paintings, ceramics, through Oct. 9. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; reception, 5-7 p.m., “Momentum: Art in Action/Creativity in Motion Closing Celebration,” Rachel Hartsough, Margo Mullen, Mark Rivera, Camille Shae-Lichter and a whole lot of community artists. Come see the finished “Moving Parts” mural, a large-scale multi-media piece, and “Off the Grid,” a completed community mural. There will be fun activities for all ages by the Peregrine School. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., Rotating art show from Team Davis- students. Kids are welcome to create art at the reception and free refreshments will be served. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Davis Lofts, 109 E St.; reception, 5-9 p.m., come see fiber artists, fine artists, sculptors, jewelers and more from Square Tomatoes Crafts Fair at The Lofts. Enjoy refreshments and music. For more information about Square Tomatoes Crafts Fair and the Oct. 6 fair, see squaretomatoescrafts.com. Hours: varied.
* Davis Makerspace, 221 G St., Suite 1337 (in Tim Spencer Alley, behind Bistro 33), firstname.lastname@example.org; reception, 5:30-8:30 p.m., “Strange New Attractor,” Emily Schleiner, Jeff Tolentino, Tim Kerbavaz, Alia Tsang, electronic/mixed-media work and custom hand-built drum, one night only (Sept. 13). Music and drop-in 3D printing demos. Hours: varied (see current hours at wiki.davismakerspace.org).
* Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 Second St.; 6:30-7:30 p.m., “Odd Poetry.” Immediately outside (or inside if inclement weather) the Odd Fellows Lodge, you will find the Odd Poets. Stop by for a few minutes or for the full hour for spoken word, poetry, verse, humor and fun. Since this is an open mic event, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share with us your own favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; viewing, 7:30 a.m.-midnight, Rosemary Hall, oil paintings, through Sept. 30. Live jazz music 6-9 p.m. Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Thursday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-midnight; Saturday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
* El Toro Bravo, 237 D St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 11 a.m.-11 p.m., Cynthia Kroener, artwork from travels in Mexico, through Sept. 30. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
* First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., 530-204-5444; reception, 5-7 p.m., “Winfield Landscapes,” Beth Winfield, oil paintings, through Oct. 31. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* Hallmark Inn, 110 F St.; reception, 5-7 p.m., Deladier Almeida, oil on canvas, through Oct. 9. Celebrate the new F Street improvements and expanded lobby with local wines and treats by Seasons. Presenting Hallmark Inn’s collection of local art, created by Almeida, Jim Berg, Stephanie Taylor, Cindy Wilson and Jean Van Keuren. Meet the artists, sip wine, sample Seasons’ treats and enjoy live music from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. by Bogg, a four-piece jazz band. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Under Changing Skies,” Anne Lincoln, oil paintings, through Oct. 3. Artist will be present and refreshments will be served. Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., “Mixed Media Discoveries,” Ann Privateer and Mary Anne Kirsch, an exhibit of watercolors, photography, oil and acrylic, through Sept. 30. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Mishka’s Cafe, 610 Second St., 530-759-0811; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., new artists every month. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; viewing, 11 a.m.-10 p.m., “12th Annual Landscape Exhibition,” experience the brilliance of California’s diverse landscapes as they are seen through the eyes of California’s greatest landscape painters, featuring Wayne Thiebaud, Patrick Dullanty, Greg Kondos, Louis Labrie, Deladier Almeida, Jennifer Pochinski, Cynthia Charters, Clay Vorhes, Boyd Gavin and many others, through Sept. 21. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Leslie Philpott at nestware,” Leslie Philpott, paintings, through Sept. 30. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St., Suite A; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., multi-artist exhibit featuring mixed-media works. Artists will be present and drinks and tapas will be served. Davis High School Baroque Orchestra will perform from 6:30 to 7 p.m. Don’t miss out on this wonderful performance that is also a fundraiser for its summer 2014 concert tour of Italy! Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Art Auction Exhibit,” art in all media by 140-plus artists, through Sept. 20. Silent bids can be made. Food and wine will be served. Live music by guitarist Jon Spivack, from 7 to 9 p.m. Enjoy a night of art in our fundraiser to support the Pence’s education and exhibit programs. More than 175 works of art are available for silent bidding during our preview exhibit, capped by our Auction Gala on Sept. 20, which is a ticketed event. Tickets include food, wine, Caribbean jazz by Zorelli and bidding. A live auction finishes the night. Tickets are $30 for members and $40 for nonmembers and may be purchased Friday night or online at pencegallery.org. Upstairs of the Pence, enjoy works by Tiny Worlds Jewelry and Arbuckle Fiber Company. Come for a fascinating visit with an original Davis silversmith and two sheep ranchers, yarn spinners and knitters. Come see more artisans from Square Tomatoes on Oct. 6 in Central Park. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), 530-756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m., “POP,” Amanda D. Larson, photography; “Various Photography Collection,” Mark Castellucci, photography, one night only reception (Sept. 13). DJ Trop’a from Marseille, France, refreshments and outdoor patio view of Davis from the third floor. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8 p.m., Michael Ackerman, photography, through Sept. 30. Enjoy refreshments and meet the artist. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.
* Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court ‘N Cedar); reception, 5:30-9 p.m., “New Beginnings, New Works,” Lauren Brandy and Thelma Weatherford, oil landscapes and still life, acrylic and mixed media, through Oct. 11. Enjoy refreshments and chat with the artists. Part of the Radiate Art Collective; studio space is still available: www.radiate-art.com.
* Studio 26, 231 G St., Suite 26 (Court ‘N Cedar); reception, 6-9 p.m., Schorré Oldham (jewelry, www.oldcheviproductions.com), Amy and Bill Habicht (photography and custom printing), Stacie Frerichs (letter press prints), Kyle Monhollen (screen prints). View drawings by guest artist Rick Martin. Listen to live music by Neon Lites in the courtyard. Enjoy refreshments while visiting with the artists. Part of the Radiate Art Collective; studio space is still available: www.radiate-art.com.
* Studio 29 — Jan’s Quilts, 231 G St., Suite 29 (Court ‘N Cedar); reception, 6-8 p.m., Jan Wolf, quilts, art and more in a variety of textiles, ongoing. Enjoy goodies and a comfy place to sit and visit. Part of the Radiate Art Collective; studio space is still available: www.radiate-art.com.
* UC Davis Buehler Alumni and Visitors Center, south end of the UC Davis campus, 530-754-9195; viewing, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., new artist every month. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* Whole Foods Market Davis, 500 First St., 530-750-2266; reception, 6-8 p.m., art by Whole Foods’ team members, one night only (Sept. 13). Live music and artists present. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., Suites A and F, 530-758-0544; reception, noon-7 p.m., Stephanie Forbes, mixed media, artists present, free refreshments and live music. Hours: Suite A, Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Suite F, Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.- 7 p.m.