After being forced inside by cool, rainy weather, Davis residents can shake off the cobwebs and stretch their legs by meandering through downtown Friday for the Second Friday ArtAbout.
ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. All receptions and viewings are free and open to the public. Many showings include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists. For more information about Davis Downtown and ArtAbout, visit DavisDowntown.com, or email ArtAbout@DavisDowntown.com.
New venues this month are Mishka’s Cafe, Original Steve’s Pizza and the UC Davis Alumni & Visitors Center.
Art receptions and viewings
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m., Sean McNerney, music icons in oils, through March 31. Live music by Steve Kotarek, folk/rock with acoustic and electric guitars, starting at 6:30 p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m., “Mugs & Mugs,” Rebecca Bresnick Holmes, ceramic mugs, and Shannon Marie Moore, drawings inspired by Vintage mugshot photos, through April 2. Hours: Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Best Western Palm Court, 234 D St., 530-231-5919; reception, 7-9:30 p.m., featuring art from local artists in their atrium, various media, ongoing. Wine pouring and morsels as well as live music.
* ciocolat, 301 B St., 530-753-3088; viewing, 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m, “Whimsical Hearts,” Mary Neri King, acrylic and mixed media, through March 31. Hours: Sunday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4:30-7 p.m., “Paintings,” Dee Conway, oil, through April 30. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., Frankie Hansbearry, sculpted paintings, through March 31. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m., “Davis School Arts Foundation Elementary Art Exhibit,” various artists, various media, through March 24. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m., Rotating art show from “Team Davis” students, through March 31. Kids are welcome to create art at reception; free refreshments. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Edward Jones Investments, 4627 Fermi Place, Suite 130, 530-747-2002; reception, 4:30-8 p.m., Sandi Osterman, creator of Raven’s Nest Design Jewelry, handcrafted artisan jewelry using semi-precious gemstones, Swarovski crystals, fresh water pearls, Czech glass and sterling and fine silver, RavensNestDesign2.etsy.com; and Darlene Riel’s “Colorful Perspectives of Europe,” representing more than 20 images of her summer wanderings in Europe, www.rielphotography.com, one night only (March 8). Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m., DK Osorio, oil and acrylic, through April 6. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Impulse of the Hand,” Edythe Haendel Schwartz, mixed media, through April 8. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10 a.m.-8 p.m., “Vitae et Historiae,” Helen DiCarlo, painted images of people, through March 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; closed Monday.
* Mishka’s Cafe, 610 Second St., 530-759-0811; viewing, 7 a.m.-11 p.m., new artists every month. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10 p.m., “Fourth Annual, Art of Painting in the 21st Century,” various artists, mostly oil and acrylic, through April 3. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6:30-9 p.m., “tin tin au nestware,” posters and all things tin tin, through March 31. Carus Winery will pour a selection of their wines for the evening. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Nina’s Studio, 241 F St., 530-758-9221; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Dreamsequence,” Steve Anaya, mixed media, through March 31. Live music by Saxophonist Alan Taylor with light appetizers. Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Adrienne Levoy, watercolors on paper, through March 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St., Suite A; reception, 6-8 p.m., Jose Luis Rodriguez, brand-new paintings and drawings, through March 31. Wine and food at the reception. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m., “By Hand: Extraordinary Fine Craft in California,” a juried exhibit of the best in contemporary art, including work in fiber, wood, ceramics, and metal, by California artists, as juried by the Oakland Museum’s Curator of Decorative Arts Julie M. Muniz, sponsored by the Creative Arts League of Sacramento, through April 5; and “Landscapes by Michael Mikolon & Lauren Brandy,” through March 31. Special Arts & Craft activity during reception. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Radiate Art Collective, 231 G St. (Court ‘N’ Cedar), 530-304-5821, www.radiate-art.com; reception, 5:30-9 p.m., Bill and Amy Habicht, Shorré Oldham, Thelma Weatherford and Jan Wolf, painting, ceramics, jewelry, and textiles. Music and studio tours. Studio space still available. Hours: by appointment.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), 530-756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m., “A Conscious Choice Not to Ignore: Encounter,” Amanda Larson, photography, one night only (March 8). Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court-N-Cedar), firstname.lastname@example.org; reception, 6:30-9:30 p.m., Lauren Brandy, oil paintings (two shoes studio) + ceramics (alluvial), and Thelma Weatherford, acrylic and mixed media. In an open studio setting, the space features landscapes and abstracts in oils and acrylic as well as small ceramics — expressions of each individual artist but complementing each other in the shared gallery. Come by and enjoy artwork, drink wine, nibble on sweets and see their creative studios in person. Hours: by appointment.
* UC Davis Buehler Alumni and Visitors Center, south end of the UCD campus, 530-754-9195; viewing, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., “A Celebration of Mediterranean Agriculture,” Margaret Eldred, acrylic paintings of crops grown within bicycling distance of Davis paired with canvases of similar crops from Italy, Turkey, and Morocco, through March 28. For reception dates, e-mail: email@example.com. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F (upstairs in the back), firstname.lastname@example.org; reception, 6-9 p.m., “Early Spring Exhibit,” Moses Salgado, acrylic on canvas, after reception viewing is by appointment. Food and beverages. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 1-6 p.m., Mamadu, mixed media. Free refreshments and artist present! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Davis Odd Fellows Hall, 415 Second St.; 6-7 p.m., Odd Poetry, somewhere inside or immediately outside the Odd Fellows Lodge, you will find the Odd Poets. Stop by for a few minutes or for the full 90 minutes to listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving. And since this is an open mic event, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share your own favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
* Original Steve’s Pizza, 314 F St., 530-758-2800; 6-9 p.m., live music in the back dining room by Dave Hafter and Friends featuring acoustic rock music. Original Steve’s also will host its first wine-tasting, pairing wines with Italian and American entrees on its menu. Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Whole Foods Market Davis, 500 First St., 530-750-2266; 5-7 p.m., live music in the café along with beer-tasting. A small donation to the Whole Planet Foundation for the beer-tasting is requested. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.